2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

20 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

The cuts that saw an increase in the playing budget last season?

Robbo said a few weeks ago his budget would be cut.   Obviously with us signing a good few players then money must be there, I just hope not at the expense of our academy but I have mentioned that previously so will see what happens 

1 hour ago, David said:

If Robinson does go, it makes absolute sense to promote from within.

The Malpas Method? :P

I would be fine if we promote from within, but I'd also like us to cast the net a little wider. No need to restrict our options and it never hurts to test the market.

• Like 1

Just now, weeyin said:

The Malpas Method? :P

I would be fine if we promote from within, but I'd also like us to cast the net a little wider. No need to restrict our options and it never hurts to test the market.

Who is this Malpas fellow you speak of? I don't recall that period in Motherwell history ;)

Personally, I'd be more inclined to cast the net wider if we reach a situation where the current management team isn't working. As things stand, I'd like to think that Lasley could continue the stellar work Robinson has been doing.

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Sounds good, but it's also assuming he has the skills and character to be a manager. He might be a brilliant assistant manager and made a great club captain, but stepping into the managers post is a different job all together. 

A fair point, it’s pretty obvious that Robinson is a good man manager, players seem to be drawn back to the club just to work with him again and many have stated he has improved their game. Make no mistake losing him would be a huge loss to the club.

I think Robinson will go which is a big blow......even if he fails at NI he can go back to somewhere semi-decent in Scotland - and if he does well better than that.

Goes with all my best wishes.

I'm not sure about Lasley......my preference would be to firmly retain him as an assistant as part of whoever gets the gig.

I'd like someone like Nigel Adkins.....good win ratio.....new ventures.

34 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Robbo said a few weeks ago his budget would be cut.   Obviously with us signing a good few players then money must be there, I just hope not at the expense of our academy but I have mentioned that previously so will see what happens 

True, as a consequence of an unprecedented situation.  That's a wee bit away from "always announcing cuts" though.

52 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

True, as a consequence of an unprecedented situation.  That's a wee bit away from "always announcing cuts" though.

Fair do's Andy,  will see what happens in due course.   I just don't want to see the Academy suffer.  Vital we keep investing in that side of things.  COYW

A big part of our success last season was the way the midfield would often interchange position.  I think O’hara fits this approach perfectly, capable of defensive cover and contributing to attack.    
Having similar players with some different qualities/strengths gives us flexibility and cover for suspension, injury, loss of form, and in-game adjustments.  

• Like 1

Said previously I am a big O'Hara fan. So I am all good with the signing in the main. Especially if the likelihood is we lose one or two of the central mid players sooner rather than later.

However, we appear to be very light with wide players throughout the team. Specifically defence but also in midfield/attack (bar Hylton and Seedorf).  Granted the likes of Gallagher, Lamie, Donnelly, O'Hara and McGinley can play wide but still feels we are light.

Hopefully some of the academy players a lot are shouting for make a move on that front and push to be solid backups in those areas.

22 minutes ago, superward said:

Said previously I am a big O'Hara fan. So I am all good with the signing in the main. Especially if the likelihood is we lose one or two of the central mid players sooner rather than later.

However, we appear to be very light with wide players throughout the team. Specifically defence but also in midfield/attack (bar Hylton and Seedorf).  Granted the likes of Gallagher, Lamie, Donnelly, O'Hara and McGinley can play wide but still feels we are light.

Hopefully some of the academy players a lot are shouting for make a move on that front and push to be solid backups in those areas.

Agree about wide players, we need quality in those areas.  Everyone entitled to their opinion but I have never been a Hylton fan and apart from a screamer at Tynecastle Seedorf hasn't done much. Though at same time finding a quality winger is hard so no idea what is available..  would be great if we could try some of the youngsters

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Everyone entitled to their opinion but I have never been a Hylton fan and apart from a screamer at Tynecastle Seedorf hasn't done much. Though at same time finding a quality winger is hard so no idea what is available..  would be great if we could try some of the youngsters

Thats ok if we have these young lads, but as far as I know we don't.  We're ok in central defence with David Devine and Yusuf Hussain pushing on, likewise with central midfield with Dean Cornelius and Jamie Semple but thats it I think. It would be great to see  these 4 young lads break through this coming season but they need game time, and I hope they get it. We seem to be light out wide (defensively and offensively) and up front just now.

• Like 1

We can’t go into the season with a Hylton and Seedorf for sure, I would like to see another two wide players coming in or at least one who can switch. Seedorf is still young but he really needs to improve in my view.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We can’t go into the season with a Hylton and Seedorf for sure, I would like to see another two wide players coming in or at least one who can switch. Seedorf is still young but he really needs to improve in my view.

What would consensus of Hastie or Murphy on loan be?.......just putting it out there

36 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

What would consensus of Hastie or Murphy on loan be?.......just putting it out there

Did I not read that Hastie had the chance to come back to us on loan but turned it down last season ? Not sure how the fan base would take to him if I’m honest.

39 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Did I not read that Hastie had the chance to come back to us on loan but turned it down last season ? Not sure how the fan base would take to him if I’m honest.

Good point.....I think fans would rather welcome back Andy Roddie!!! Ba boom 

Both either side of the lone striker would give us a pretty strong 11. 

Wonder if we’ll see more of Donnelly at RB and CB next season or if we’re selling a midfielder? 

Even when O’Hara was fit and on form he often wasn’t picked to start so surprised he’d be so keen to join and we’d pay a fee unless he was going to be playing.. 

13 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

You'd rather we play youngsters not ready for regular first-team football ahead of signing a lower league player that we could potentially make a profit on down the line, but you'd take an ex-player on loan from the OF in order to keep them in the shop window for them?  

No to both for me.

15 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I'd be fine with either but only if it was a loan with a view to a perm move. 

Not interested in loans from league rivals to help player development. Be that the old firm or anyone. 

13 minutes ago, superward said:

Not interested in loans from league rivals to help player development. Be that the old firm or anyone. 

While a loan move does help with player development for the parent club, it also provides us with a quality player for the duration of the deal as well, doesn't it? The benefits are there for both clubs, and the player.

2 hours ago, David said:

While a loan move does help with player development for the parent club, it also provides us with a quality player for the duration of the deal as well, doesn't it? The benefits are there for both clubs, and the player.

While that's true, developing a player for a rival in your league is a little counterproductive. I'm sure nobody was too worried that we developed Ruddy for Everton, but developing a player for teams we're competing against is not something I'm a fan of.