2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

12 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Anyone who wouldn't take Murphy is mental.

I doubt Murphy will be an option - he has a year left on his contract and Rangers need someone to either buy him or absorb a large chunk of his wages. Hastie, I'm guessing, will be out on tour again next season.

(Taking Murphy on loan for a year wouldn't be developing him for Rangers, though, as he'd be out of contract at the end of it).

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I doubt Murphy will be an option - he has a year left on his contract and Rangers need someone to either buy him or absorb a large chunk of his wages. Hastie, I'm guessing, will be out on tour again next season.

(Taking Murphy on loan for a year wouldn't be developing him for Rangers, though, as he'd be out of contract at the end of it).

Taking Hastie would not be developing him for Rangers, he’s never going to get a run there regardless.

38 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Taking Hastie would not be developing him for Rangers, he’s never going to get a run there regardless.

We'd be paying some of his wages and, if we improve his game, generating a bigger fee for him when Rangers sell him. Both of which give Rangers a financial bonus.

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

We'd be paying some of his wages and, if we improve his game, generating a bigger fee for him when Rangers sell him. Both of which give Rangers a financial bonus.

Do you honestly think he’s going to go for a fee again ? Personally I’m not really bothered about other clubs as long as a player strengthens our’s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu92 said:

You'd rather we play youngsters not ready for regular first-team football ahead of signing a lower league player that we could potentially make a profit on down the line, but you'd take an ex-player on loan from the OF in order to keep them in the shop window for them?  

No to both for me.

that'll be a no then?   lol.   Fair do's mate, all about opinions.    I know signing players from down south has worked well for us on occasions but it also has seen us make very poor signings (no names mentioned). The only way youngsters learn is if we give them the chance though I also appreciate they need to show enough in training to be given that chance.   COYW

The big downside of bringing any loan player into the squad can be the demands of the parent club. so we have to be careful to bring in the correct players as penalties for not playing them can come into force. This means that even if said player isnt performing it could cost us financially to drop him.

I certainly prefer to play youth players rather than go down the loan route as it can come back to bite you if you sign the wrong one.

Completely changing tempo and not sure if it’s even the right thread but will be good to see Carson back in the team this coming season. I always thought that Carson was the better keeper but for do’s to Gillespie, once he was in he really didn’t do anything to warrant getting dropped. Maybe came close but would have been harsh to drop him. Here’s hoping Carson has a blinder of a season. (Had to correct my typing there. I really actually had a typo and put blunder. Hope that’s not a bad sign) 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jack said:

The big downside of bringing any loan player into the squad can be the demands of the parent club. so we have to be careful to bring in the correct players as penalties for not playing them can come into force. This means that even if said player isnt performing it could cost us financially to drop him.

I certainly prefer to play youth players rather than go down the loan route as it can come back to bite you if you sign the wrong one.

But we have had one or two loan players over the last couple of seasons that excited the support and helped us move forward. We are not always going to have youth players that can make that impact, there has to be a balance and I think the club usually get it about right.

If we do lose Robinson, I'd rather see him taking the NI job than ending up at a rival club - but it would be a loss for the new season 

I wasn't a fan of his early style, but was a fan of his approach to training and fitness and have enjoyed watching his recent teams.

The benchmark for any gaffer is that they leave a club in a better state than when they joined it and he has certainly done that. 

33 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Sky now reporting he has been offered job. 

Here’s hoping......

To be fair to Bara his record at under 21 level is almost 1 win in 2 so he probably deserves a shot at the job.  Good luck to him.

If he gets it good luck to him, I didnt mind Bara and will always be a legend  for masterminding 6-1 play off win over gers.  Yes I know that was because we finished 2nd bottom but at same time gave us one of our most memorable victories 

9 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Baraclough came across as a really likeable guy, but he was unbelieeeeeeeavably out of his depth managing at our level.

It's quite funny he's now the manager of an international football team.

He was a strange one. The team was a shambles when McCall left and Baraclough struggled at first. In the run up to the play-offs we won 5, drew 3 and lost 4 - which is decent form to bring into a game like that. 

Then we reverted to the McCall shambles at the start of his following season.

He seems to really well across the water, winning leagues and trophies domestically and with a good record internationally. 

3 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Baraclough came across as a really likeable guy, but he was unbelieeeeeeeavably out of his depth managing at our level.

Personally, I think it is funny that he is one of the few managers we have had who didn't spend the whole of the week leading up to an old firm game telling everybody how good the opposition was. Would he have done well long term? I think it unlikely, but that 6-1 aggregate still gives me a warm glow when I think of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grumpy said:

Personally, I think it is funny that he is one of the few managers we have had who didn't spend the whole of the week leading up to an old firm game telling everybody how good the opposition was. Would he have done well long term? I think it unlikely, but that 6-1 aggregate still gives me a warm glow when I think of it. 

That was the highlight for me. The way handled that game was first class. His enthusiasm for taking on Rangers was contagious 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, numpty said:

To be fair, international management is a different kettle of fish, and it just suits some managers better. He seems to have done a decent enough job with the U21s.

He also won the league and 2 cups with Sligo Rovers. Not quite as high a standard, but still domestic silverware. 

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

What brings you to the conclusion he was out his depth?  Ultimately it did not work out but if he had been out his depth we would have been relegated. I think we were heading for relegation when Baraclough arrived early December and he kept us up. It was a notable achievement. The team under Stuart McCall was dead on its feet. 

I don't believe any Scottish Manager would have got us through the play-offs. They would have had us beat before a ball was kicked (McCall proved this in a League Cup shambles a few years prior). 

I have felt over the years that certain managers have been judged more harshly than others. Baraclough was judged harder than most. Good luck to him. The best news of all is that we keep our man (for the time being anyway). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, star sail said:

What brings you to the conclusion he was out his depth?  Ultimately it did not work out but if he had been out his depth we would have been relegated. I think we were heading for relegation when Baraclough arrived early December and he kept us up. It was a notable achievement. The team under Stuart McCall was dead on its feet. 

I don't believe any Scottish Manager would have got us through the play-offs. They would have had us beat before a ball was kicked (McCall proved this in a League Cup shambles a few years prior). 

I have felt over the years that certain managers have been judged more harshly than others. Baraclough was judged harder than most. Good luck to him. The best news of all is that we keep our man (for the time being anyway). 

Totally agree. I would have been interested to see if Barraclough could have turned it around but a shambolic display at Cappielow in the cup left the board no alternative but Im not so sure he wouldnt have made it. He had no fear of Rangers in those play off games, god help us had we had the usual old firm grovellers like Terry Butcher and Mark McGhee who spent the lead up to every old firm game salivating how wonderful the opposition were and we should basically just be happy to be on the same pitch as them.

21 hours ago, weeyin said:

While that's true, developing a player for a rival in your league is a little counterproductive. I'm sure nobody was too worried that we developed Ruddy for Everton, but developing a player for teams we're competing against is not something I'm a fan of.

As I said, it benefits both sides. The parent club sees the benefits you mention, while we gain a player that we'd probably have no chance of getting if we were to try and buy them outright.

It's a win/win, which is why so many clubs do it.

He deserves to be fondly remembered for guiding us through the play-offs, but by the same token he's lucky he has that play-off to be remembered fondly. Without the play-offs you are looking at a massive turnover of players that delivered only slightly less inconsistency than the manager before him before nosediving when he had his stamp on the team.

When you reflect on it it seems most unlike Motherwell to get rid of a manager so early in his tenure and before September was even out but putting yourself back in the time it certainly seemed the right thing to do.

It was dire in the few months of that new season.  He was backed and was allowed to bring in a number of players in January and he was similarly backed in the summer and signed player after player after player but with seemingly no idea what his strongest team was.  Results and performances were largely awful. Getting out of jail at East Fife on a night he endured some of the most stinging abuse at close quarters I've heard a Motherwell manager receive at a game suggested he'd lost some of the support even then.  Meekly losing a third successive derby at Hamilton.  And the Cappielow result and subsequent events in the dressing room was obviously the final straw.  It wasn't a surprise at all that corrective action was taken.

But, all that other stuff has largely faded and we're left with the memories of two of the most memorable wins of that era so he'll always have a special place.  Good old stegosaurus fan Baraclough.