2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

Aye it's a difficult one.  I'm conflicted really...

My general feeling is I dont want another player on loan from another team in this league for the reasons already mentioned. That said, i doubt he has a future at Rangers, and we do have some sort of sell on secured so we could in fact help ourselves here to an extent if they punt him after a good spell with us...

Also if we arent blocking a youth player coming through (which seems to be the case I think?) then it makes it a bit easier to accept.

I'd also quite like to see Hastie and Turnbull combinations: Part 2 if I'm honest.

I fully understand the return of Hastie would generate mixed feelings amongst the support but I’m all for it. One of my biggest gripes in recent times has been losing some of out best prospects before making many or any first team appearances. 

So while the circumstances aren’t perfect, I’d be happy to see him kick start his career at Fir Park and bang in a few goals. The idea of Campbell, Turnbull and Hastie lining up together, even just for a short spell, is an appealing one. 

Very difficult one about Hastie, personally I thought he was a reasonably good player but didn’t think he was Rangers/Celtic class player, but Rangers thought otherwise and have gave him a contract that will set him up for most of his footballing career and even Motherwell gained £400,000 (I think?)out of it.

Would I have him back on loan, probably as long as MFC benefit as I think SR and his team could be the answer for Hastie to get back to some kind of regular football as he certainly will not get that at Ibrox. 

Let’s face it anyone working especially at the age of 20 getting a chance to getting a pay rise of 500%, I don’t think many would turn down!

I put suggestion out last week about getting Hastie on loan and was met by mixed views. I think if he started well then I am sure most fans would be pleased.  Also isn't blocking any youth players in that position as far as I am aware so I wouldn't mind him coming back

He's fast, strong, direct and can put his foot through the ball. All said and done, he is a better player than Seedorf. If its the choice between him and Sherwin, then there is no choice.

Saying that, some of our other recent wingers have had more tricks and skills - if there is a chance of getting any of them back then that would be better.

Yeah, I'd rather have Aryibi or Aaorons but i assume those aren't options. Sane with Murphy. If he comes in and does a job for us for a season then ideal. Itd be the same result as if he'd signed a one year extension at the end of his current deal then went to Rangers.

I'd be more excited by a gamble on a player I dont know but happy enough  to have him back in.

He's got to start well though or he could find himself the boo boys victim in a big way.

Also I've got a wee hope that Seedorf will show more this season. Hes had a full year to settle in, hes another year older so more composed and disciplined etc. So I'm holding out a hope that he will contribute more next season.

Edited by C&A not the shop
Added stuff on Seedorf
  • Like 1

If we don’t have anyone ready to step up then yes take him while we develop one of our youngsters. 
if Hastie is returning to Scotland I think it’s better to have him in our squad rather than have him helping another of our competitors pick up points. 

I’d be all for him as seeing him and Hylton on the wings would be very exciting. Both would destroy defenders, but with Hastie you get an out ball most the time and also goals which we’ve missed last season from the wide areas.

As previously said we could actually benefit from it ourselves if he does well and rangers sell him on. He’ll already know a large amount of the group which will definitely help back playing with his “pals” essentially. The only worry is that he will split opinions of the fans, with such a strong team this year and the fans 100% behind the club, a lot may not be happy with this and straight on the players back.

You’d expect a player who’d been training at Rotherham and Rangers for the last year or so to have learned a lot more to his game and not damaged it, albeit from what I heard he’d started really well at Rotherham with goals but fell out of favour near Christmas.

Generally speaking I'm against taking OF players on loan, I'd rather a youngster given more of a chance or a punt taken on an uncut gem that could turn us a profit in a year or two. However, I can see the pros of putting Hastie back in the shop window to potentially net us something on the sell-on and also preventing a potential league rival getting the benefit from him on loan.

But what happens if we sign him and he is utter pish, a la end of his spell with us where every other team sussed he was a one trick pony? Or if Seedorf steps up this year as we all hope he does? We'd potentialy be stuck paying his inflated wages for the season, or forced into playing him due to some loan condition Rangers will no doubt insist on. I know all ifs and buts...

Lots of folk on here earlier bemoaning the lack of decent wingers available, and At the same time highlighting that as an area we need to strengthen as a matter of urgency. Now one might be available and some of those folk are questioning whether he should be given a chance. 

Hastie  was sensational when he was brought into our side and was hugely responsible for rescuing our season. So sensational that he got a a financially life changing offer, which no young footballer in their right mind could turn down. Even if it has not worked out as he hoped, he will still have the same natural qualities he always had and a downturn in his playing time might just have given him the extra determination to get back to his earlier level of performance. Robinson clearly thinks Hastie will improve our squad otherwise he would not consider bringing him back. And he must also think attitude is not an issue. A hungry young player looking to get back on track and prove his doubters wrong. Exactly what we thrive on. 

I firmly believe it is a punt worth taking as long as the terms from Rangers are not ridiculous.......wage contribution, playing time requirement, release clauses. It is annoying that League rules would prevent him playing against his parent Club but that still leaves over 30 games in which he can contribute. Like any other signing...permanent or loan....it is a leap of faith. But is it any greater a risk than signing a relative unknown on a two year permanent contract? And if he does well Rangers possibly sell him on and we get a nice wee bonus. It could well be a great bit of business for both clubs and the player. 

• Like 1

If there was a hierarchy of loan players being accepted by fans, he must be near the bottom:

Other league (fine) >

Other non-OF SPFL club (ach, go on then) > 

OF player (I'd rather not) >

Ex-well OF Player (Hmmmm, nah) >

Ex-well player who spent 10 years in our youth setup, refused a contract extension and jumped for nothing more than the development fee (fuck right off) >

Ex-well player who spent 10 years in our youth setup, refused a contract extension and jumped for nothing more than the development fee and called us all smelly bastards on the way out (apocalypse)

For the record, he's second bottom. It's not quite Paul Slane being offered back on loan, but I can see why it's hard to take. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Motherwell53 said:

Can understand, why Hastie left, so would I if I was offered that kind of wage rise. If he does come back genuine pace and power upfront. On another topic I see Wigan have just gone into administration, any chance of Kipre coming back, just a thought. COYW

Here’s hoping they have already paid us everything they owe us for Kipre would be my first thought!

4 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Here’s hoping they have already paid us everything they owe us for Kipre would be my first thought!

From memory of the accounts that were posted, I'm pretty sure they did.

9 minutes ago, Motherwell53 said:

Good point on Kipre, I for one would love to see him back. Any news on the striker from Wigan we where looking at? 

I would think they would be trying to sell their assets. So maybe we will get some cash out of it but probably not likely to get Kipre? 

3 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Generally speaking I'm against taking OF players on loan, I'd rather a youngster given more of a chance or a punt taken on an uncut gem that could turn us a profit in a year or two. However, I can see the pros of putting Hastie back in the shop window to potentially net us something on the sell-on and also preventing a potential league rival getting the benefit from him on loan.

But what happens if we sign him and he is utter pish, a la end of his spell with us where every other team sussed he was a one trick pony? Or if Seedorf steps up this year as we all hope he does? We'd potentialy be stuck paying his inflated wages for the season, or forced into playing him due to some loan condition Rangers will no doubt insist on. I know all ifs and buts...

What if we sign him and he ISN'T utter pish?