2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

You know I was joking , right? He obviously had to cut inside to score in the example given because it says "the keeper sent him away up the left wing".

Just thought I would copy and paste the video for anyone interested to be honest. Looking at it does it back up the “one trick pony” line ? Maybe.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:09 AM, dinnae-punt-it said:

C’mon Shaka, take the claret and amber specs off. Most of Scotland is either of the green or blue persuasion. Hastie won’t be our only Rangers fan in the team. Simple fact is he left Motherwell for a lot more money than we could pay plus we got a large development fee into the bargain. The games against Rangers and Celtic are bonus games in terms of points. Hastie can play against all our realistic competitors. He is better than what we have, has a great relationship with Turnbull, can score goals and has a point to prove. I can’t see many negatives. Nobody knows how to get the best out of him better than Motherwell! Get down if your high horse and support the team and whoever pulls on the jersey. 

Some people simply can't see through their own brand of bigotry to the reality, and the reality is we played the OF a total of 5 times last season, 2 of the 5 against Rangers, and lost them all. All of them without Hastie who will this time be available to play against Celtic. As you say, any points against the OF at any time are a bonus not an expectation. And that applies for the entire league.

Calling that absolute reality a 'mentality' is absolutely mental. The OF haven't been winning the league for almost 4 decades due to a mentality among the opposition. They have been doing it because of a massive financial advantage that's as great at this time as it has ever been.

Last season alone they spent over £20 million between them in the transfer market. The rest of the league combined spent a total of around 500K, Motherwell spent nothing, effectively operating in the freebie charity shop market along with everybody else compared to the OF shopping at M&S.

And that's brutal reality, not a mentality problem. If the management team who just secured a 3rd place finish with only the 8th largest budget in the league think Hastie is good business then so do I. They're the experts not merely pundits on an internet forum.

Hastie is of a quality we couldn't afford outside a deal like this. The fact he can't play against Rangers is irrelevant to the 3rd place at best finish everyone outside the OF is aiming for. 

• Like 7

On 7/3/2020 at 9:20 AM, fizoxy said:

he’s still young and if he can recreate his purple patch, even for a short period, he could be a good signing

And, if he wants to have a future career at the top levels in football then he has to take this chance to shine right?. He will be almost on the doorstep of his parent club who will be watching very closely indeed because this is potentially the make or break season for him. If he doesn't step up and impress then his future at the top level in football will be in question. Motherwell can benefit from that.

And who knows, if he does indeed step up and demonstrate the class he was thought capable of he might be the key to a fantasy run into the Europa league group stages. A financial game changer for the club.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect to see Motherwell in the group stages even if Hastie were to prove world class in every tie. But it's not entirely impossible and you can always dream.

2 hours ago, Lan_Lad said:

Some people simply can't see through their own brand of bigotry to the reality, and the reality is we played the OF a total of 5 times last season, 2 of the 5 against Rangers, and lost them all. All of them without Hastie who will this time be available to play against Celtic. As you say, any points against the OF at any time are a bonus not an expectation. And that applies for the entire league.

Calling that absolute reality a 'mentality' is absolutely mental. The OF haven't been winning the league for almost 4 decades due to a mentality among the opposition. They have been doing it because of a massive financial advantage that's as great at this time as it has ever been.

Last season alone they spent over £20 million between them in the transfer market. The rest of the league combined spent a total of around 500K, Motherwell spent nothing, effectively operating in the freebie charity shop market along with everybody else compared to the OF shopping at M&S.

And that's brutal reality, not a mentality problem. If the management team who just secured a 3rd place finish with only the 8th largest budget in the league think Hastie is good business then so do I. They're the experts not merely pundits on an internet forum.

Hastie is of a quality we couldn't afford outside a deal like this. The fact he can't play against Rangers is irrelevant to the 3rd place at best finish everyone outside the OF is aiming for. 

You can shut the fuck up with the bigotry chat pal

24 minutes ago, Shaka said:

You can shut the fuck up with the bigotry chat pal

And you can shut the fuck up if you, an internet non entity I have never interacted with,  think for a moment you can tell me what I should do. And I would take the slightest heed, pal.

And tell you what, pal, I will now put you on ignore and you can grunt away to yourself with the absolute guarantee of absolutely no response from me. 

Which was the situation until right now so you can surely live with that, pal. Except I wont be shutting the fuck up. 

5 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

And you can shut the fuck up if you, an internet non entity I have never interacted with,  think for a moment you can tell me what I should do. And I would take the slightest heed, pal.

And tell you what, pal, I will now put you on ignore and you can grunt away to yourself with the absolute guarantee of absolutely no response from me. 

Which was the situation until right now so you can surely live with that, pal. Except I wont be shutting the fuck up. 

Come on guys. For what it’s worth I don’t think there was any bigotry in the post by Shaka.

2 hours ago, daver said:

Going by that video, he has scored a range of goals with only 2 of them (absolute crackers) being the cut inside and shoot variety. Not sure the one trick pony chat is fair.

I think the general point is that his early, impressive impact fizzled out pretty quickly after defenders sussed him out and kept him on the outside. I even heard a couple of opposition managers say their tactic was to  keep him out wide.

The fact that the same happened when he went down south suggests there may be some truth to it.

That is all part of learning the game in the first team, though. When you are young, the older defenders are good enough to adapt. The key then is to develop ways to address that, and that is what good coaching will do. That's the main reason myself and many others suggested that his game would improve more if he had stayed at Fir Park for another season.

Now we'll find out if that's true.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Come on guys. For what it’s worth I don’t think there was any bigotry in the post by Shaka.

None at all! Which is why I will not be called a bigot from some wee keyboard warrior fud.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:09 PM, dinnae-punt-it said:

C’mon Shaka, take the claret and amber specs off. Most of Scotland is either of the green or blue persuasion. Hastie won’t be our only Rangers fan in the team. 

Not that it makes a difference but isn't it confirmed he's a Celtic fan?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

For what it's worth, don't you think it somewhat strange that  while saying "come on guys" you quote the guy who was told to shut the fuck up by some attention begging tit he had never even interacted with in any way?

Responded to that then put it on ignore with zero intention of ever seeing it again far less giving it any more attention?

Would you think it okay if I were to tell you to shut the fuck up on this issue? Considering that you actually did directly interact with me while I did not with him.

19 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

For what it's worth, don't you think it somewhat strange that  while saying "come on guys" you quote the guy who was told to shut the fuck up by some attention begging tit he had never even interacted with in any way?

Responded to that then put it on ignore with zero intention of ever seeing it again far less giving it any more attention?

Would you think it okay if I were to tell you to shut the fuck up on this issue? Considering that you actually did directly interact with me while I did not with him.

I simply quoted you because I did not believe he was being bigoted and when it’s directed towards someone it does tend to flame things. Maybe just a misunderstanding, it’s generally pretty cordial on here.

12 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Time will tell if hes better but for me there isnt enough conclusive evidence to categorically say he is. 

Sorry, but neither Hylton nor Seedorf have come close to producing what Hastie has already achieved in his so called purple patch, so the evidence is there.....

I wonder where the flash car fits into the financial security plan.

(Not that I blame Hastie for his move. At that age, however, I'd be amazed if he considered anything other than his own lifestyle. I know I wouldn't be planning for my family's security at 19 or 20).