2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If that deal went through I just feel we could do more with the £200k but again if Lang proves to be a good signing then I wont complain 

If we get £200k I imagine we'd be banking it to help tide us over during the "no crowds" part of the season.

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If we get £200k I imagine we'd be banking it to help tide us over during the "no crowds" part of the season.

Maybe more money coming in from a player leaving down south ?

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

No crowds will have a minimal effect as most fans have all bought season tickets which should cover that. As well as the Europa income and few gestures from James Anderson.

30 minutes ago, supermarv said:

No crowds will have a minimal effect as most fans have all bought season tickets which should cover that. As well as the Europa income and few gestures from James Anderson.

The club has guaranteed 19 home league games on season tickets. So whether we take the hit now or later, we will be losing money on every home game with no crowd.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, weeyin said:

We wouldn't get £200k as I think the deal would be we get Lang for a small amount but forfeit our sell on clause for Cedric.    Personally I would rather take the £200k and invest it into the academy but that's just my opinion...COYW 

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

We wouldn't get £200k as I think the deal would be we get Lang for a small amount but forfeit our sell on clause for Cedric.    Personally I would rather take the £200k and invest it into the academy but that's just my opinion...COYW 

I know how successful our youth system is but what could you possibly invest that 200k that relates to the youth academy? Genuine question btw. From my view our academy is working perfectly fine but for this season the youth academy is basically a right off as seasons won’t start back until 2021 supposedly. That money makes more purpose for investing into the first team this year and pushing on even further than last season and by doing so go further in Europe and then you could think about other things like youth etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bert the Sailor said:

Thinking that joining Rangers in this day and age is “ambition”? I think that’s where you lose a lot of people. They aren’t what they once were. You’re playing (or not in Hastie’s case) in the same league as Motherwell. The anger would still be there if he went to Hibs or Hearts or Aberdeen. 

So by that token did David Turnbull show a lack of ambition by choosing Celtic over Norwich? After all Celtic play in the same League as Motherwell and Turnbull was not guaranteed a start every week. A stepping stone to greater things was mentioned as a strong reason for choosing Celtic. More likelihood of development and a chance to learn from better players. I have a feeling he opted for Celtic to be closer to home more than anything else. But that’s only a thought and not based on anything definite.

I’m not saying Hastie has shown anything like the consistency or talent of Turnbull,  but by moving to Rangers he immediately increased his chances of winning silverware, increased his chances of playing against top European sides, increased his chances of a call up to the full Scotland side, got to work with a coaching team possessing a wealth of International and European experience , got to train and play with top International players, and got a hefty wage rise as well. Just like the situation Turnbull would have benefited from. It has not yet worked out as well as Jake had hoped but all is not lost. He may well be a better player than when he left us, both in a football sense and mentally. Time will tell. If he does well for us, who is to say he will not get another look in at Ibrox? Whatever, I’m sure that given his time over again, he would make the same decision. 

Commitment wise he was with us for 11 years, despite approaches from other Clubs during that time. Just like Turnbull and Jamie Semple. Unlike a good few other youngsters who opted to leave ....Leeds and  Rangers being two beneficiaries. And Hastie chose to return to us despite interest from elsewhere.

As for there being the same anger if he had gone to a Hearts or Aberdeen, I don’t recall there being such bitterness or talk of lack of ambition when Curtis Main departed for Aberdeen. And it could be argued Main contributed more in his time with us than Hastie did. And that he owed us for rescuing his career. Players get to the end of their Contracts and sometimes better offers come along from elsewhere. Players have decisions to make and we have to respect that the decision is theirs’ to make. Injury and the denial of the opportunity of progression and security might only be one game away. 
And if Rangers want to Loan us Greg Docherty and Jamie Murphy as well.......

• Like 4

4 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

We’re all just speculating now. The club will know the figures very well and I doubt if they’d shoot themselves in the foot needlessly. Would there be some benefit to this kind of deal to save on VAT?

58 minutes ago, dennyc said:

So by that token did David Turnbull show a lack of ambition by choosing Celtic over Norwich? After all Celtic play in the same League as Motherwell and Turnbull was not guaranteed a start every week. A stepping stone to greater things was mentioned as a strong reason for choosing Celtic. More likelihood of development and a chance to learn from better players. I have a feeling he opted for Celtic to be closer to home more than anything else. But that’s only a thought and not based on anything definite.

I’m not saying Hastie has shown anything like the consistency or talent of Turnbull,  but by moving to Rangers he immediately increased his chances of winning silverware, increased his chances of playing against top European sides, increased his chances of a call up to the full Scotland side, got to work with a coaching team possessing a wealth of International and European experience , got to train and play with top International players, and got a hefty wage rise as well. Just like the situation Turnbull would have benefited from. It has not yet worked out as well as Jake had hoped but all is not lost. He may well be a better player than when he left us, both in a football sense and mentally. Time will tell. If he does well for us, who is to say he will not get another look in at Ibrox? Whatever, I’m sure that given his time over again, he would make the same decision. 

Commitment wise he was with us for 11 years, despite approaches from other Clubs during that time. Just like Turnbull and Jamie Semple. Unlike a good few other youngsters who opted to leave ....Leeds and  Rangers being two beneficiaries. And Hastie chose to return to us despite interest from elsewhere.

As for there being the same anger if he had gone to a Hearts or Aberdeen, I don’t recall there being such bitterness or talk of lack of ambition when Curtis Main departed for Aberdeen. And it could be argued Main contributed more in his time with us than Hastie did. And that he owed us for rescuing his career. Players get to the end of their Contracts and sometimes better offers come along from elsewhere. Players have decisions to make and we have to respect that the decision is theirs’ to make. Injury and the denial of the opportunity of progression and security might only be one game away. 
And if Rangers want to Loan us Greg Docherty and Jamie Murphy as well.......

For me he’s a Motherwell player now and who knows may sign permanently at some stage if things go well. The past is the past and I can pretty much guarantee we will get better performances out of him if we support rather than abuse him. When we get back as supporters I will be cheering  him on exactly  the same as any other player.

• Like 7

Not for our sake but I really hope that Wigan get a buyer and don’t get points deducted as the more I read about this the dodgier it gets. The fact that there appears to be a large bet on them being relegated I’d like to hope that the EFL would step in to save the leagues sporting integrity. 

• Like 1

As much as I'd love Turnbull to sign for Newcastle or a decent English Championship side, I fear this story is a forerunner to a 'Turnbull chooses Celtic over move to England' story.  If he leaves, I'd far rather it was to an English or foreign side but I suspect I'll be disappointed...

9 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Stoke interested in Turnbull according to the record, as is Steve Bruce at Newcastle

Heard the of the Newcastle interest about the same time as the Gillespie rumour. 
All down to Steve Bruce staying as manager I was told…… but the Gillespie one made it over the line 

29 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

As much as I'd love Turnbull to sign for Newcastle or a decent English Championship side, I fear this story is a forerunner to a 'Turnbull chooses Celtic over move to England' story. 

Well, it is his "dream move" remember. According to the rags, anyway.

Yeah, I would be surprised if he ended up anywhere but Smellic.  At least the other interest will hopefully drive the price up, rather than the piss poor  £1m they would no doubt have offered the wee diddy team expecting us to roll over. 

39 minutes ago, David said:

Well, it is his "dream move" remember. According to the rags, anyway.

This is the worst possible time for us to sell IMO.  You'd have to imagine we'll struggle to get anywhere near the £2-3m being talked about last summer while he's coming off the back of a year out and the entire football industry and transfer market is in an unprecedented state of disarray- two factors that you'd hope won't be as big an issue in January.

It'd be quite nice to actually see him play as well.

With how packed our midfield looks I'm expecting someone to go and Turnbull is the most likely option.

If we bring in Lang and with Hastie coming in you can see that Robinson is going to go with 2 wingers again as the default so we have 5 first team midfielders who would be expecting to start games for 3 slots. 

Would like to see him down south, Newcastle would be good for him being an easy trip back to see family etc. But very little chance of any first team football for him. Maybe Stoke is a better shout.

With the transfer window being extended this will drag on for quite some time i think with English clubs not spending til later in the year.

£4million transfer fee to sign for Newcastle. Season-long loan back to us. Newcastle takeover goes through, no way into the first-team for DT. Buy-back clause of £2million. DT holds record of being highest transfer fee received by the club as well as highest transfer fee paid by the club, with a cool £2million left in the bank to build the Alan Campbell Training Academy.

Or at least that's what my mate's Saudi burd tells me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2