2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

Agree Andy but this year would be different with 3 subs senior players & 2 reserve/youth players. 
with not a lot of chances of game time this season (no reserve league and leagues 1&2 unsure if they will even play this year) I think we need to do something to help the youth progress in their careers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wellowell said:

Sun talking about Lang as if he’s a certainty as saying Long will have to battle Watt/MacIver/White/ and Lang for a starting spot although it is the Sun 

Just listened to an old interview with Lang, can’t be doing with the accent, him and Grimmy should be sent to elocution lessons to perfect the Lanarkshire drawl.

• Haha 2

Im actually getting quite excited about this season.

Its a big if, but IF we can keep Turnbull we have the makings of a really good team.

Long coming back is great. He is a really hard working player and continually offers himself and makes very intelligent runs which Turnbull will find with his passing ability.

Turnbull will also take a lot of pressure off of Polworth to he the only creative player in the midfield.

We should also be able to mix up our formations with all the options we have now, we can just about play any system we like.

Puts Stephen Robinson in a very good position, although the other edge to that sword is that his tactical awareness will come under more scrutiny as he will have no limitations placed on how he would like to play!

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Based on the fact that we have a stronger squad than the one that finished 3rd last season ? 
Based on the fact Hearts should not be in the league.                                                                                                                                                                                  Based on the fact that other teams may not be able to add as much quality to their squads due to Covid19 impact. 

Not having a go but not sure the facts back up your concerns. I am only concerned because when we get our hopes up usually we come a cropper. No science behind this - just a lifetime following Motherwell FC.

Like I said, just a niggling feeling.  Perhaps because, like you, when it looks like there's reasons to be optimistic, that's when I expect Motherwell to boot me in the nether regions...

This will be my fifth season watching Motherwell and this has to be the strongest squad I’ve seen. Midfield is miles ahead of any other and right up there as one of the best in the division. Up front we don’t have Moult but we must be stronger overall, certainly if Lang is also signed. The one area that I think you could question is maybe defence with only Gallagher and Carson the stand outs, we don’t really know how the other new addition will pan out but even then with the like of Dunn and Carroll to come back I’m probably being overly  harsh. I understand that it’s perfectly possible after all the optimism that we could  come crashing back down to earth with a bump and expectations will be higher but we do know the majority of this squad and what they are capable of including the returning Hastie and OHara. The likes of White may turn out to be a flop but I have a feeling he will play his part with the odd goal and he offers something different coming off the bench.

15 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Would be great to see but judging on the signings we are making the club seem to have forgotten about the youngsters.  We seem to be spending a lot of money which I dont know where it's coming from as Robbo was pleading poverty a few months back, but you know what if we go on to have a great season and fingers crossed get a run in Europe I will be the first to say great decision,  I just feel we still need a great youth academy...COYW

I know you (quite rightly) bang the youth academy drum fairly regularly, but I just don't agree that we aren't giving youth a chance. Turnbull, Campbell, Scott & Hastie have all been first team starters in recent seasons. Maguire, Semple & MacIver (albeit not quite the same scenario) are on the fringes and have featured on occasion. Hussain, Devine and Cornelius look like they are going to feature more regularly this season. If we had 11 Turnbull's in the reserves I'd be all for playing them every week, but it's incredibly naive/romantic to think that these players are ready to play as first team regulars.

We need to sign established players to operate at the level we currently are operating at, and certainly if we want to push on from here. I think the signings we have made this season, on paper, are very clever bits of business but also show a level of ambition I don't think we have shown in the market for a while now. If we were to add Lang, and possibly 1 other (a RB perhaps), as many have said this is the best squad we've had on paper for some time now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

The likes of White may turn out to be a flop but I have a feeling he will play his part with the odd goal and he offers something different coming off the bench.

He scored his first against Dundee Utd today.

13 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

I know you (quite rightly) bang the youth academy drum fairly regularly, but I just don't agree that we aren't giving youth a chance. Turnbull, Campbell, Scott & Hastie have all been first team starters in recent seasons. Maguire, Semple & MacIver (albeit not quite the same scenario) are on the fringes and have featured on occasion. Hussain, Devine and Cornelius look like they are going to feature more regularly this season. If we had 11 Turnbull's in the reserves I'd be all for playing them every week, but it's incredibly naive/romantic to think that these players are ready to play as first team regulars.

We need to sign established players to operate at the level we currently are operating at, and certainly if we want to push on from here. I think the signings we have made this season, on paper, are very clever bits of business but also show a level of ambition I don't think we have shown in the market for a while now. If we were to add Lang, and possibly 1 other (a RB perhaps), as many have said this is the best squad we've had on paper for some time now.

A very good point Stu and do agree with it and I have no issues with our signings.  I am very vocal about the youth academy as I feel we have built a great reputation for attracting youngsters as they will get their chance, I also do appreciate that if the players aren't ready then the club cant push them into the first team.  At end of day I just need to trust the management and backroom staff. COYW

As far as youth goes, it's also the case, sadly, that the majority simply won't be good enough. For every Hastie, Turnbull and Campbell there's going to be countless others let go each season.

I'm not an expert on our youth players at the moment, but I do believe that if we had anyone who was good enough and ready to come through, Robinson would be bringing them through. We'll go through periods where none of the younger players are either ready or good enough. That's just how it works.

During those periods we need to find players from elsewhere.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dezz said:

Re Lang deal ^ 

Maybe Long signing on for another year has seen the club step back from the deal, I know there is talk of Lang playing out wide but a large transfer fee when money is tight for all clubs ?

3 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

He’s been about the club & our facilities too long for that.

Wigan’s current predicament would be an issue, well that & the restrictive transfer window...

Ok, fair enough, many thanks.

I'm having trouble keeping track of the transfer window situation. I see the Scottish window has officially opened today and will last until October 5th.

Is the English Championship still aligned with the EPL's plan to wait until the current campaign finishes? I've seen various things written about letting the EFL work differently, but nothing definitive.

18 hours ago, dennyc said:

How could he sign before today anyway if the transfer window just opened? Not out of contract so I thought we had to wait.
I thought the same about O’Hara right enough. 

OHara was still under contract was he not, how does that work ?