2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

8 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Not sure in truth, we have plenty of players that are very capable of scoring decent numbers between them.  Lang, Long, Hastie, Turnbull, Donnally, Watt, Campbell for starters.

Agree with you we have plenty of players capable of scoring.

Our Forwards and their career appearances and goals below.

White      395 Apps   117 Goals
Watt        246 Apps    54 Goals
Long        163 Apps    31 Goals
Lang        106 Apps    29 Goals
Hylton      169 Apps  25 Goals
Hastie        98 Apps    17 Goals
MacIver      38 Apps     7 Goals
Seedorf      64 Apps     6 Goals
Robinson      4 Apps     0 Goals

So let’s hope they add to their totals in the upcoming season.

Edited by Jack

Like one of the other posters I’m getting excited about this new season which, as they stated, might not bode well for super well. However, it’s starting to look like we have a good number of  attacking options. I think that was what made Mcall’s team successful when Higdon was top scorer.  We had so many threats that defenses  could not cover them all. Let’s hope the new season pans out that way. COYW :yahoo:

On paper looks to be a strong squad with good competition for places 

Until Carroll return we are definitely weak in the full back area.

Think our strongest team at the moment is along the lines of -

Carson

Lamie         Gallagher       McGinley

O’Hara.    Campbell.   Donnelly.    Polworth   

Turnbull   

Lang.         Long

Doubt very much that Robinson will go with a back three 

11 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Carson

Turnbull   

Lang.         Long

I'd be surprised if we went with that line up for Ross County on Monday, I imagine we'll be looking at something like:

Carson

Grimshaw       Gallagher          Lamie        McGinchley

Campbell      Donnelly     Turnbull

Hastie                                                                                   Long

Watt

With O'Hara, White, Lang, Polworth and Hylton all coming off the bench if it's five subs.

Quite excited about the Lang signing. 

Not had a "cult hero" at Fir Park as such since King Louis and Cedric left (DT exclude).

Have a feeling this fella could be the one.

Just need to get a proper right back now and we are looking pretty strong. On paper at least!

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to the start of the new season albeit under coronavirus restrictions. We look to have a very strong squad this time round with plenty of exciting midfield and attacking options which will hopefully translate into a good few goals. Hopefully DT will regain his form as he's been quiet pre season. My only fear at the moment is our defence. Carroll is out injured; I'm not sure about Grimmy at right back; and Lamie and McGinley will take to settle and prove themselves. How fit is Declan Gallagher?  

It'll take a month or two to settle on our best 11, if indeed we ahve one; it may be horses for courses, given the hectic fixture list.

Exciting days.   

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Carson

Turnbull   

Lang.         Long

Polworth anywhere other than the middle of the park is a complete non starter, he gets (god knows why) a hard enough time for not tracking back, imagine the grief he would get playing out wide. Absolutely mental that he can provide the amount of assists he did and still get a hard time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

I'd be surprised if we went with that line up for Ross County on Monday, I imagine we'll be looking at something like:

Carson

Grimshaw       Gallagher          Lamie        McGinchley

Campbell      Donnelly     Turnbull

Hastie                                                                                   Long

Watt

With O'Hara, White, Lang, Polworth and Hylton all coming off the bench if it's five subs.

I don’t think that will be a mile off, the front three could be Hylton, Hastie and either Watt or Long. Other than that I can’t see past a back four, the defence worries me at this point if I’m been honest.

1 hour ago, Jumbomuir said:

Don't think so, why can't you just be positive about the team instead of your constant rumblings about, no being good enough!!!!! 

But, the guy he was talking about not rating doesn't even play for us? :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

Polworth anywhere other than the middle of the park is a complete non starter, he gets (god knows why) a hard enough time for not tracking back, imagine the grief he would get playing out wide. Absolutely mental that he can provide the amount of assists he did and still get a hard time. 

Because Polworth is very obviously shite! Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch.

He doesnt add anything....... well , several goals a season, 15-20 assists a season and is comfortable on the ball, but apart from that he offers absolutely nothing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't see Long being very effective on the left of the three. If it's 4-3-3 then it's him Watt and White all going for one spot.

If Long is wide, we would be as well starting with 10 men! 

Early selections and formations often depend on who got up to speed quickest during the presason. The new signings will most likely be a week or two behind. Add the fact that we can have 5 subs, I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 different formations in each of early games.

• Like 1

Carson

Grimshaw, Deco, Lamie, Carroll

Donnelly, Campbell

Hastie, Turnbull, Lang

Watt

The above is , in my opinion, our strongest 11. For Ross County Id anticipate McGinlay for Carroll & Hylton for Lang.  Long, White, Polworth & O'Hara on the bench, maybe Lang too if he is fit. Looks strong

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't see Long being very effective on the left of the three. If it's 4-3-3 then it's him Watt and White all going for one spot.

Robinson used Long and Cole together towards the of 2019 and had them almost rotate, could see something similar happening with Watt and Long.

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Early selections and formations often depend on who got up to speed quickest during the presason. The new signings will most likely be a week or two behind. Add the fact that we can have 5 subs, I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 different formations in each of early games.

That is fair. Why Lang wasn't on my team, take time to get up to match fitness.

I wouldn't necessarily assume David Turnbull would be in from the off.  I think he's not also easing himself back in after the eight months out, he's also easing himself in after the follow up op on the back of the eight months out.

I still think there will be further period of gradually building him back up until he's routinely doing full nineties again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

Carson

Grimshaw, Deco, Lamie, Carroll

Donnelly, Campbell

Hastie, Turnbull, Lang

Watt

The above is , in my opinion, our strongest 11. For Ross County Id anticipate McGinlay for Carroll & Hylton for Lang.  Long, White, Polworth & O'Hara on the bench, maybe Lang too if he is fit. Looks strong

I would personally have Long over Watt, Turnbull maybe not ready to start at this point. Too early to know if Lang is a better option than Hylton, I feel he probably will be but time will tell. McGinley could be challenging Lamie for that central spot.