2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

The 2 full backs concern me.  Grimmy can never be faulted for effort and energy but he isn't a natural right back. Carroll I feel is ok but too often turns back once over halfway line. He is at least a natural left back but maybe with competition in that area both players will up their game.  

9 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Carroll is class imo. He'll probably never play for us again though, a good 8 months seems to be the most we can expect from a left back not named S. Hammell.

I think Joe Wark might have something to say about that.

(Derek Murray does not).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Carroll was excellent for us. He doesn't take many risks on the ball but still chipped in with assists and goals. His defending was very good and he knew when to rely on his pace/strength and went to foul. 

Looks like I am in the minority about Carroll,  i think my problem is I compare every left back to Rob McKinnon who was just awesome 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Carroll was excellent for us. He doesn't take many risks on the ball but still chipped in with assists and goals. His defending was very good and he knew when to rely on his pace/strength and when to foul. 

I’m also a big fan, with I think more to come.

• Like 1

With the transfer window open until October then back open again January it's really only  2.5 months we would be unable to bring in a replacement should Grimshaw get injured so as long as Grimshaw stays fit until the window closes I can't see anyone else coming in. McGinley will be the left back option until Carrol is fit. So unless Carroll has a set back then I don't see any other LBs coming in. In fact I don't see any more activity unless there's a bad injury somewhere in the team.

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

With the transfer window open until October then back open again January it's really only  2.5 months we would be unable to bring in a replacement should Grimshaw get injured so as long as Grimshaw stays fit until the window closes I can't see anyone else coming in. McGinley will be the left back option until Carrol is fit. So unless Carroll has a set back then I don't see any other LBs coming in. In fact I don't see any more activity unless there's a bad injury somewhere in the team.

Guess it depends who leaves ( if anyone)

I might well be off the mark but I have it in my mind that Gallagher played right-back for Livi in the 3-2 game on the last day of the season before he joined us.

I would need to confess he was largely unknown to me beforehand and the reports that he was about join obviously made him one to look out for in that game.  But I then seem to remember hearing, I can only presume it would have been on the radio going over Fir Park, that he was going to be playing full-back and thinking the "scouting" of him might not be a true reflection seeing as he would be out of position.

That could of course be tosh that somehow I've imagined to be true.

5 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I might well be off the mark but I have it in my mind that Gallagher played right-back for Livi in the 3-2 game on the last day of the season before he joined us.

I would need to confess he was largely unknown to me beforehand and the reports that he was about join obviously made him one to look out for in that game.  But I then seem to remember hearing, I can only presume it would have been on the radio going over Fir Park, that he was going to be playing full-back and thinking the "scouting" of him might not be a true reflection seeing as he would be out of position.

That could of course be tosh that somehow I've imagined to be true.

He certainly did play as a  full back that game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Yes he can play right back Andy. However it’s only in truly exceptional circumstances that I’d move him out of central defence. He’s the massive rock on which our defence is founded. If we were to move him out wide it would destabilise the middle of our rearguard. We do have a couple of more preferable options to fill in for Grimmy should he be indisposed. 

25 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes he can play right back Andy. However it’s only in truly exceptional circumstances that I’d move him out of central defence. He’s the massive rock on which our defence is founded. If we were to move him out wide it would destabilise the middle of our rearguard. We do have a couple of more preferable options to fill in for Grimmy should he be indisposed. 

I wouldn't disagree with any of that Dave.  It was more a thought that, whilst not ideal, there are one or two options Gallagher among them.

• Like 1