2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

14 minutes ago, well_said said:

There is only one club who will attempt to shaft us re. David Turnbull and we all know who they are as they have shafted us so many times in the past.

I don’t think those running the club are that soft these days, we’re in a strong position and the fees plus add ons received of late for players have all been very decent.

Turnbull is starting to show glimpses of the form that made him the hottest (young) property in Scotland. If he continues along that path for the next few games inc v Celtic then I expect another bid incoming. 

In all honesty I find it surprising that there are not more clubs sniffing around or reported as such. Before it was only Celtic and Norwich prepared to bid.

What grates with me is that Celtic fans think if he goes anywhere he goes there. I am sooooo hoping if he moves then it is down south. Mind you with Tierney reporting how scared he is to return to Celtic Park he may be worried about the inevitable backlash.

We also know that any initial bid from Celtic will be less than the £3.25m + add ons. It is the way they operate. For me that is the starting price this time around. I am sure we will hold firm as he signed that extra year - still an excellent thing to do !

Very surprised by the Scott speculation given he has barely played for Hull. He scored on his debut from memory, but never really got on the park at all during their last few games. If true, possibly these clubs had been tracking him from before we sold him and wanted to see if he would adjust to the switch?

I saw the other day that Scott had been given the number 11 for this season, which would suggest in contention for a starting position. As financially beneficial as it would be for him to move on early, I hope it doesn't have an impact on his playing time/future career.

4 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Very surprised by the Scott speculation given he has barely played for Hull. He scored on his debut from memory, but never really got on the park at all during their last few games. If true, possibly these clubs had been tracking him from before we sold him and wanted to see if he would adjust to the switch?

I saw the other day that Scott had been given the number 11 for this season, which would suggest in contention for a starting position. As financially beneficial as it would be for him to move on early, I hope it doesn't have an impact on his playing time/future career.

The Hull deal seemed to happen pretty quickly and close to the end of the window, so I think they got a jump on their competitors. As you say, no doubt that at least some of those other clubs were also tracking him.

Now that Hull are dropping down a league maybe they think they can entice him away.

I have no idea how he'll develop, but Scott always looked like a footballer to me.  Craigan used to complain he didn't shoot often enough and Robinson would get frustrated that he didn't use his size to his best advantage, but those are things that can be coached. He drifted in and out of games sometimes like youngsters are prone to do, but we definitely missed him when he moved on.

If twitter is anything to go by, many Celtic fans no longer think Turnbull is the midfield Messiah. He's now an injury prone 4th choice. 

Deluded. 

If Turnbull ends up there, hopefully he's prepared to be hated when he leaves for bigger and better. 

3 minutes ago, mfc said:

Turnbull to sign for celtic this week according to tomorrows sun.

Outwith Edouard, Turnbull is the best player in the league.  The lad is genuinely far above the level of the Premiership.  Celtic have a massive Turnbull shaped hole in their team and I would not be surprised to see them fill that before October.

5 minutes ago, mfc said:

Turnbull to sign for celtic this week according to tomorrows sun.

Saw that. Always likely once he proved his fitness. 

I suspect growing interest from supposedly Newcastle and other clubs means they could not wait too long. 

If it is for similar sum £3m then I still think that is a snip given other players valuations. Still if no one else wants to offer more and he does not want to go to say Newcastle then not much we can do. 

I would be hoping he would play v Glentoran at least but who knows if this story is even accurate ?

5 minutes ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

Outwith Edouard, Turnbull is the best player in the league.  The lad is genuinely far above the level of the Premiership.  Celtic have a massive Turnbull shaped hole in their team and I would not be surprised to see them fill that before October.

Totally agree,the lad is real quality,i would love to see one of the other clubs he's been linked with like leeds or newcastle take him off our hands and he can showcase his talents at the highest level.sadly i can see him at celtic park,worrying times for us,poor start to the season and potentially losing our best player.

29 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I suspect growing interest from supposedly Newcastle and other clubs means they could not wait too long. 

If it is for similar sum £3m then I still think that is a snip given other players valuations. Still if no one else wants to offer more and he does not want to go to say Newcastle then not much we can do.

So would we have any say in the matter? What if Celtic was to offer say £2.0 million and we felt that an English club would better that next month could we say thanks but no thanks?

It may not be a bad thing if he was to move on quickly (for the right price of course).  For the best of reasons, his contribution to results this season has been limited and on Saturday's evidence, the team might play better without him, in that the others might play more as a team rather than trying to channel everything through him.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

7 minutes ago, mfc said:

Totally agree,the lad is real quality,i would love to see one of the other clubs he's been linked with like leeds or newcastle take him off our hands and he can showcase his talents at the highest level.sadly i can see him at celtic park,worrying times for us,poor start to the season and potentially losing our best player.

Havent won a game that he has featured in since his return though. So Im not so sure it will be as worrying as you may presume.

I think it’s inevitable that we will loose Turnbull, but I would prefer him to go down South as I am sure he could be sold on for a lot more money than we will get if sold now, obviously Celtic don’t want him cup tied with us for European games so hence the urgency of the possible transfer.

Personally I think he is worth more than the 3 million that is being quoted, but there again the money would be handy as I still would like to see Jamie Murphy back with us, but also remember where Dundee United went when selling their best players!!

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I think it’s inevitable that we will loose Turnbull, but I would prefer him to go down South as I am sure he could be sold on for a lot more money than we will get if sold now, obviously Celtic don’t want him cup tied with us for European games so hence the urgency of the possible transfer.

Personally I think he is worth more than the 3 million that is being quoted, but there again the money would be handy as I still would like to see Jamie Murphy back with us, but also remember where Dundee United went when selling their best players!!

End of the day he’s  only worth what clubs are willing to pay and it looks like that 3 million is the ceiling. I think the figure is ok as long as we have something like a 20% sell on which should push it up to over 5 million as a minimum in the next two to three years. I think he’s well worth 5 million now but clearly other clubs don’t. We do however have a better win ratio without him than with him over the last six months.

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

So would we have any say in the matter? What if Celtic was to offer say £2.0 million and we felt that an English club would better that next month could we say thanks but no thanks?

It may not be a bad thing if he was to move on quickly (for the right price of course).  For the best of reasons, his contribution to results this season has been limited and on Saturday's evidence, the team might play better without him, in that the others might play more as a team rather than trying to channel everything through him.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

We have the luxury of 2 years left on his contract so I doubt the club will accept anything less than was on offer last time around. If we got offered £2m same as Lyndon Dykes that would be a firm no. 

He is only just getting back to full fitness and one would hope he would start adding goals and attracting even more interest up to the next transfer window. 

Our preference would be for him to go south and not play against us but whether any clubs are serious or not. Newcastle would be an awesome move but one wonders if it would impact future sell on clause. If he moves to Celtic is he likely to do a Scott Brown and stay there the rest of his days. 

Don’t really care where he goes to be honest, just want a good fee and recognition for the best prospect I can ever remember at Fir Park. 

Thought at the time last summer, 3.25 million was reasonable for us. 

However 2 million for Dykes and 1.5 million for Scott since then, I’m not sure. 

Sell on is a must.