2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

12 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Are they gonna be markedly better? Henderson was recalled early cause he couldnt get into a shite Ross County team and the other lad is a nobody from their u23 team. Fucking garbage and a total slap in the face of Semple & Cornelius. If I was Dean Cornelius or Jamie Semple Id ask for a release right now. And if I was Burrows Id be asking SERIOUS questions of Robinson as to why he is giving contracts to players he clearly isnt interested in playing?!

This is why I have been banging the youth academy drum for ages whether folk agree with me or not.  Let's develop our own players rather than other teams. Let's say to sellik.....£4 million  plus 20% add on.....take it or leave it 

21 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Unless they're markedly better than what we have...

Personally disappointed that we haven't seen more of Semple in the last year. 

If we are to lose Campbell, Turnbull and Polworth then we are asking for trouble...

Semple has had a long term injury.

Whilst Polworth my have spat the dummy, think it’s a stretch to say we could lose him.

Any fee less than £3m for Turnbull is a 2 finger salute to our club by its own chief exec.

But £2.7m, add-ons we will never see and 2 youth players? Thats a special kind of clown that accepts a deal that poor. Whats the fucking point?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Are they gonna be markedly better? Henderson was recalled early cause he couldnt get into a shite Ross County team and the other lad is a nobody from their u23 team. Fucking garbage and a total slap in the face of Semple & Cornelius. If I was Dean Cornelius or Jamie Semple Id ask for a release right now. And if I was Burrows Id be asking SERIOUS questions of Robinson as to why he is giving contracts to players he clearly isnt interested in playing?!

I'm not saying that they necessarily will be better than Cornelius or Semple. If Robinson feels that any player that he brings in on loan can contribute more than what he has in his squad, given our situation then he'd have to take a chance on bringing the player in. Whether you trust his judgement as regards players is a separate question. 

Given injuries at the minute mean we can't realistically play a back three without playing people out of position so have very little flexibility formation wise, surely we'd be better looking at getting a defender in on loan til January rather than another midfielder? Whether that's part of the Turnbull deal or not....

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Unless they're markedly better than what we have...

Personally disappointed that we haven't seen more of Semple in the last year. 

If we are to lose Campbell, Turnbull and Polworth then we are asking for trouble...

Time will tell. Like him or not, O'Hara would replace Campbell as the box to box player. Polworth would replace Turnbull, as he did reasonably successfully for most of last season (I'm not saying he's of the same standard BTW).  Donnelly is your defensive midfielder. Jamie Semple when fit would be the attacking back up and Dean Cornelius would be our defensive back up. I'd like to see the latter pair given their chance if developments permit.  By no means certain, but it was always on the cards we'd lose one of Turnbull and Campbell, or indeed both, during the window.

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Just to clarify. None of this has actually happened yet, right?

Nope. Was just going to point out that this is speculation (from Celtic’s side as was pointed out earlier) and to start banging on about neglecting the youth system, releasing players from their contract or not considering our club’s fan’s needs is just a tad premature. 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m going to wait until we have some actual facts.

Where is the fun in that.......

According to reports this morning a fee has still to be agreed.  No-one knows what stage the transfer is at apart from a few people at Motherwell and Celtic and I suspect after last time no-one will want to confirm anything until deal is signed after and more importantly he passes a medical. 

I know we are biased but I am gobsmacked there is not a Q of teams looking at DT. For the time being it is coming across that Celtic appears his and our only option. If that is the case they are sure to try and offer less than last time around. 

I think he is worth more but as people always rightly point out. He is only worth what a club is willing to pay. It is worth noting that Aston Villa only paid circa £2m-£2.5m for John McGinn only a couple of years ago. On that basis £3m + add ons would be acceptable. 

If Celtic offer anything under £3m as an up front payment I would tell them to go away. The transfer window still has a 6 or so weeks to run. 

This season has become a complete clusterfuck in record time. Our moneyball approach to signings appears to have caught up with us finally and one of only two outfield players of any real quality that we have is about to go to a rival side on the cheap.

If it is indeed 3million, there’s not a chance in hell that we will replace him with a 3 million player but thinking we can continue with what we have or by bringing in a loan is pretty idiotic. We should have been pushing ahead to 3rd again this season however survival is looking a struggle at this point. We need to bring in one or two senior pro’s that can guide this team middle to front - the kind of players who understand that there is a difference in mentality between not playing well enough to win but ensuring that you at least don’t loose. Get the rest of the money into the youth system and get the scouting team and the manager in the bin

58 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Where is the fun in that.......

According to reports this morning a fee has still to be agreed.  No-one knows what stage the transfer is at apart from a few people at Motherwell and Celtic and I suspect after last time no-one will want to confirm anything until deal is signed after and more importantly he passes a medical. 

I know we are biased but I am gobsmacked there is not a Q of teams looking at DT. For the time being it is coming across that Celtic appears his and our only option. If that is the case they are sure to try and offer less than last time around. 

I think he is worth more but as people always rightly point out. He is only worth what a club is willing to pay. It is worth noting that Aston Villa only paid circa £2m-£2.5m for John McGinn only a couple of years ago. On that basis £3m + add ons would be acceptable. 

If Celtic offer anything under £3m as an up front payment I would tell them to go away. The transfer window still has a 6 or so weeks to run. 

There are a number of English teams and at least one German team monitoring his situation closely

Watch this space, Celtic will not have it all their own way 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

There are a number of English teams and at least one German team monitoring his situation closely

Watch this space, Celtic will not have it all their own way 

Davie is a bit of a home bird so I don’t think he’ll be venturing too far away.

Newcastle would be ideal

12 hours ago, dennyc said:

And what did you hear regards Sell on Fee. I was told “Celtic don’t do sell ons unless we are the sellers”.

Hopefully not true but concerning. 

I remember being told years ago "Celtic don't lose replays" and the following day we beat them 4-2 to march towards the cup final. Celtic will do sell-ons if they have to.

The fee should be no less than before, in fact a more mature player, a strengthened knee and inflation should see it increased.  Any suggestion of a staged fee should result in a greater final sum.  I am not suggesting we should hold out for £4M plus, it would appear that the ceiling was identified last year however there is no way we should be getting any less than was agreed previously.  And a sell on, 20%?

5 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m going to wait until we have some actual facts.

Unlikely we'll get the facts. It will be "undisclosed" + reported to be in the region of + a statement from the club saying best deal ever.

Details won't appear anywhere.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53902827

Celtic in talks with Motherwell over David Turnbull

By Kheredine Idessane

BBC Scotland

13 minutes agoFrom the sectionCeltic