2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

19 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Lobey_Dosser, I’m guessing you’re to young to have seen McAllister playing for us. 
Both of them class acts. 

Yeah, too young to see McAllister at Motherwell but followed him from his Leeds days onwards. Like Melvin, Turnbull reminds my very much of McAllister. A joy to watch.

21 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

McAllister is the player he most reminds me of...

Likewise. I also still regard McAllister to have been the most successful player we produced in my lifetime.

No idea what happened to him after he stopped playing. Seems to have disappeared from the game.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Messi has handed in transfer request so I reckon we get Turnbull deal sorted and use cash to buy him which solves our striking problems...........now back to reality

No way we could afford Messi, nor would he want to come. Ridiculous shout tbh.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Likewise. I also still regard McAllister to have been the most successful player we produced in my lifetime.

No idea what happened to him after he stopped playing. Seems to have disappeared from the game.

Did a bit of commentating

• Haha 1

Celtic's core is getting older.  Forrest, Brown, McGregor etc and as good as foreign players like Edouard are they are never going to stick around for long.

They are simply doing the sensible thing and snapping up the best young Scottish talent of his generation.

Will be interesting to see if Turnbull lines up on Thursday but I think we should be bracing ourselves  for LWT.  Life without Turnbull.

38 minutes ago, santheman said:

See wee Lennon is up to his mind games again over on the Daily Rags

“We’re nowhere near signing any more players” he says.

Thats good. I look forward to seeing DT score against Glentoran tomorrow

https://planetradio.co.uk/clyde/sport/football-news/david-turnbull-misses-training-ahead-of-proposed-celtic-move/

David Turnbull misses training ahead of proposed Celtic move
Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson is not sure whether Turnbull will still be his player when they face Glentoran on Thursday

Published 1 hour ago
Stephen Robinson admits he has no idea if Celtic target David Turnbull will still be a Motherwell player by the time his side kick off their Europa League campaign on Thursday night.

The Scotland Under-21 internationalist did not train with his Fir Park team-mates as they put in their final preparations for facing opening qualifying opponents Glentoran.

Hoops boss Neil Lennon confirmed on Tuesday that the clubs had re-entered negotiations as they look to resurrect the £3million deal they first agreed last year.

The move was called off then when Turnbull's medical uncovered a serious knee issue but Lennon is ready to push ahead after watching the Well playmaker's impressive return to form.

But Robinson was playing it coy as he met the media ahead of his side's showdown with the Northern Irish Cup winners.

Asked if Turnbull would be involved against Glentoran, the Steelmen manager replied: “I'm not sure at this stage. I've no idea where we're at right now.”

Robinson was clearer on how much Turnbull is worth to his side – but insists his side can cope without their main creative spark despite failing to win any of their first five Scottish Premiership fixtures so far this season.

He said: “I don't get involved in the money side – but if he was valued at £3million last time he's certainly a £3million player in my eyes.

“As a player, not just to me, David is a top, top talent and one of the best I believe Scotland will have ever produced.

“I can't sing his praises high enough in terms of his mentality and his talent.

“But listen, we lose players every year. I make no mistake, David Turnbull is a top-class footballer but that is the model at Motherwell. That's how we survive.

“We develop players, we've done that consistently over the last three and a half years. We sell players every single year.

“And we have spells where we don't win games because that's what happens when you develop players and things go round in circles. We've got eight new players in the team so it goes round. Sometimes it takes a little bit longer.

“I'm delighted for the players who move on because it's tribute to the staff here and the work they do.

“We'll be delighted if it happens – but if it doesn't we've got a very talented boy.”

Robinson has not had to do much homework on his side's opponents – but has made sure Motherwell are clued up on Glentoran's threat.

He said: “I think I've worked with 90 per cent of the players at some stage with the Northern Ireland set-up.

“They've all grown up a wee bit and grown beards.

“What they are is group of guys with a point to prove. They are a team we will give the utmost respect to.

“A lot of them have come back from England for various reasons – injuries, bad luck, bad timing – but there's talent there.

“Northern Irish football is on the up and a lot of heavy investment. They spent £40,000 on Ruaidhrí Donnelly having spent over £100,000 at Christmas.

“So we are well aware of what we're coming up against and believe me there will be no surprise packages.”

54 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Only way Turnbull will be playing in Europe this year is if he stays with us 

My comment was made in jest, tend to agree with you.

Even if Celtic adjust their transfer targets on the back of reduced prize money, I’d say DT would still be a priority for them. 

I think that tonight's result for Celtic should give David Turnbull something to think about career wise. A lot has happened since he was poised to join Celtic a year ago. I think it was a move that made enough sense then, but probably makes less sense now. He will have seen how quickly circumstances can change both personally and indeed globally. He is a year older but doesn't have many more footballing miles on the clock He is still a prodigious talent and has pretty much proven that he has come back from his injury and is fit enough to have a full and exciting career. The question is, what are his ambitions and what are the best way to achieve them. Any move to Celtic will undoubtedly involve a four or five year deal. Does the idea of several seasons playing against the same standard of opposition as he currently does for us really appeal? Yes, he will be on better money, yes he will probably pick up a bag full of medals, yes he will probably be fast tracked into the international side ( not sure if this is ultimately a great thing these days) but the idea of glamorous European nights is a bit of a myth and the advantage of staying close to home has to be balanced with the pressure that the doldfish bowl of playing for the old firm entails. I hope he considers his options carefully because he is both a genuine talent and he seems to have behaved very well throughout this saga.

As for us, I am resigned to life without him in our ranks and just hope we get a decent price for him and do not squander it as we try and rebuild our season.

• Like 4

The deal with Celtic is probably already done and if it is Turnbull must be wondering what he’s getting into after last night. Losing to a team with a fraction of their budget, Lennon throwing players under the bus to cover his own failings and stating that some of the players don’t want to be there, rumours of poor coaching and players taking on private coaches, and a majority of Celtic fans now want Lennon sacked after another European failure. All of that along with the pressure of going for 10 in a row this season doesn’t suggest that going to Celtic is a great career choice.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:28 PM, Lobey_Dosser said:

Yeah, too young to see McAllister at Motherwell but followed him from his Leeds days onwards. Like Melvin, Turnbull reminds my very much of McAllister. A joy to watch.

McAllister, McClair, Boyd, Walker, ODonnell all good players and McAllister was the only one not to go to Celtic.  

DT right up there with the value he adds and now feels. a good time for him to move.  We are far too dependant on him this season which suggests he's ready for a bigger club. 

22 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

McAllister, McClair, Boyd, Walker, ODonnell all good players and McAllister was the only one not to go to Celtic.  

DT right up there with the value he adds and now feels. a good time for him to move.  We are far too dependant on him this season which suggests he's ready for a bigger club. 

Boyd didn't go directly, at least. Though he undoubtedly was happy with his eventual arrival there. Not many would see Chelsea as a career stepping stone to the tattie bowl, but there you go.