2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

26 minutes ago, The African said:

Boyd didn't go directly, at least. Though he undoubtedly was happy with his eventual arrival there. Not many would see Chelsea as a career stepping stone to the tattie bowl, but there you go.

You have to remember Chelsea in 1991 were a very different proposition. Pretty sure the manager that signed him was Ian Porterfield whose previous jobs had been Reading and Aberdeen. Can't see Derek McInnes getting offered the Chelsea job somehow...

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

You have to remember Chelsea in 1991 were a very different proposition. Pretty sure the manager that signed him was Ian Porterfield whose previous jobs had been Reading and Aberdeen. Can't see Derek McInnes getting offered the Chelsea job somehow...

Fair enough. Just about getting over the fact that it was nearly thirty years ago.

13 minutes ago, The African said:

Fair enough. Just about getting over the fact that it was nearly thirty years ago.

Tell me about it. My son looked at me like I had lost the plot when I told him that I remembered Liverpool signing players from Ayr United and Chelsea signing players from Clyde. Ways to make you feel old...

• Like 1

Because we are in the same  European tournament now as Celtic and to avoid him being 'cup tied' I feel DT almost certainly won't play tonight. This is a pity as I would liked to have seen a last hurrah from him. 

I wish the lad nothing but the best for his future. A model professional for one so young who seemingly never let last year's set back embitter him. Also a fantastic talent who I believe will become a star as time unfolds.

Have to believe that those trying to downplay what a move to Celtic could mean are grasping at straws a little. It's understandable, mind you.

Personally, I think he'll go on to become a fantastic player for Celtic. He'll win titles, and despite what folk say, he will get some games in front of the big crowds against Europe's top clubs (not to say he'll win any of them mind, as Celtic lose more of them than anything else, but still.)

Another factor is that he's still young. There's every chance he doesn't fancy uprooting his life and fucking off to some city down south where he knows no one at this stage in his life. Probably a different scenario in five years or so if and when he's maybe married with his own family. The transition will be somewhat easier then.

I think he has his heart set on Celtic as the next step, and good luck to him. I've seen some people moan about the fee as well. Maybe those people need a wee reminder that if he hadn't signed an extension with us, which he had no obligation to do, and which wasn't in his own interests really, we'd be getting fuck all close to the amount mentioned now.

He lived up to his side of the bargain, now we need to live up to ours. And I fully expect our board to do so. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure that it will change anything re the transfer to Celtic, but last night's result for them has amped up the pressure on an already intense season. Lennon throwing players under the bus, his own management being questioned, the Bolingoli stuff being decided this week - DT signing and going into what may already be, or could easily become, a toxic dressing room environment might not work in his favour. 

If the manager has "lost the dressing room", it suggests an us v them atmosphere, which means new blood like DT might struggle to bed in easily. If results and performance at Celtic Park don't take an upturn, the quest for 10 could easily come off the rails. 

If Lennon gets the boot, does DT get the opportunity that he's potentially being given if a new boss comes in?

Would DT want to be given the stigma so early in his career of being part of the squad that bottled 10IAR? If the players there already aren't arsed about getting it done, it makes DT's job even harder. With Forster not wanting to be a part of the 10IAR team, it tells you that something isn't right, almost like McInnes not taking the Rangers job that time. 

As per my opening line, I don't think it will change the transfer going through, but you have to think that given what's happens there in the last few weeks, a move to Celtic Park for David Turnbull might not be as plain-sailing as it's been sold to him.

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Only absolute mugs actually believe that non Scottish players care about 10 in a row.

So you're saying that Laudrup, Gascoigne, Gattuso, Albertz weren't arsed when they missed out on 10 at Rangers? 

Forster being happier to not be a first choice goalie in a season where he has all the potential to achieve history in the Scottish game is both a question of his ambition and his experience at Parkhead. If other seasoned Celtic players are also half-arsing it with the 10 in sight, that's also a convincing sign that they've either lost belief they can do it or lost belief in their manager. 

Over and above being fearful of losing Turnbull to another team in our league, I'm fearful of him going there when the current situation at that club could be detrimental to his development and subsequently any sell-on factored into the deal.

36 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I know its asking much but if Turnbull going to Celtic and they wouldn't want him cup tied we should be upping the price. Tonight so important to us financially so going into it without our star player definitely affects our chances

Absolutely should be - but I suspect we are tied to some clause in the players contract 

6 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

So you're saying that Laudrup, Gascoigne, Gattuso, Albertz weren't arsed when they missed out on 10 at Rangers? 

Not very often you will  hear the following  on this  forum but Steelboy was right, the non Scottish  players don't give a rats arse about the 300 odd years of bigoted rivalry between the ugly sisters.

The players you mentioned were only ever at Rangers because they were being paid ridiculous wages every week, that were not on offer anywhere else, and tbe same applies to tbe likes of  Sutton, wanyama and van Djyk at Celtic

Only the Rangers and Celtic fans care about 10 in a row and the bragging rights it brings the rest of world football could not care less.

• Like 1

Dixie Deans and Tam Forsyth are the first players I remember going directly to the OF.  It was more prevalent in those days. Bosman reduced the traffic in that direction, but they still have a habit of trying to pick up Scottish talent without often ever making use of them.

I think Turnbull is good enough to succeed anywhere, which is why I think he'd be better off outside of the SPFL. While I'm sure the money will be great and it will be nice to win an honour or two, I'm not sure playing against Livi and Accies for another few years will accelerate his development.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

Forster being happier to not be a first choice goalie in a season where he has all the potential to achieve history in the Scottish game is both a question of his ambition and his experience at Parkhead. If other seasoned Celtic players are also half-arsing it with the 10 in sight, that's also a convincing sign that they've either lost belief they can do it or lost belief in their manager. 

Over and above being fearful of losing Turnbull to another team in our league, I'm fearful of him going there when the current situation at that club could be detrimental to his development and subsequently any sell-on factored into the deal.

It's not a historic achievement. It's the tallest midget. They have won 9 titles in a row because they have far more money than everyone. Literally more than everyone else combined for 4 of them.

Laudrup basically downed tools during the 97-98 season and Gazza moved to Middlesborough during the season.

There are lots of reasons previously stated about why a move to Celtic is the best option for Davie like being close to home winning titles and better wages etc, but see tbh if I was a young talented Scottish player, the prospect of playing St Mirren, St Johnstone Livingston et al 4 times a season for the next 3/4 years would make me want to slit my wrists.

Id much rather try my hand in a different League playing against better teams in better stadiums and expand my horizons s bit.

39 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Not very often you will  hear the following  on this  forum but Steelboy was right, the non Scottish  players don't give a rats arse about the 300 odd years of bigoted rivalry between the ugly sisters.

The players you mentioned were only ever at Rangers because they were being paid ridiculous wages every week, that were not on offer anywhere else, and tbe same applies to tbe likes of  Sutton, wanyama and van Djyk at Celtic

Only the Rangers and Celtic fans care about 10 in a row and the bragging rights it brings the rest of world football could not care less.

With all respect, I've not mentioned bragging rights or bigotry being a factor. My point about wanting the ten is more about achieving something that's never been done before in Scottish football. 

All the ones I mentioned were elite level players at the time and while money would have been a factor in them being at Rangers, they were or went on to become star international players. They'd have been just as motivated to get the 10 at that point in their careers as they would the nine. 

Worry that no fee has been mentioned as a fan owned club think the fans are entitled to know how much money is going in the bank account . More worrying is we could be giving Robinson more money to waste in the transfer market ,no mention of any loan players which is good . Just like to wish David all the best and hope he moves on to bigger and better club in the future 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brazilian said:

Care to expand on what that says for those that cannot get access 

David Turnbull has completed a move to Celtic from Motherwell for a club-record fee.

The youth academy graduate leaves after 12 years at Fir Park, having joined our ranks as a nine-year-old in 2008.

He has since gone on to make 41 appearances for the club, scoring 16 goals.

While the fee can not be disclosed due to a confidentiality clause in the transfer agreement, it vastly exceeds the amount the club received for its previous record sale of Phil O’Donnell, also to Celtic, of £1.75m.

“I want to thank everyone at Motherwell, the staff, players and the fans, for everything they’ve done for me so far in my career,” said the player.

“Particularly David Henderson, who has helped me so much over the last year. I owe him so much.

“I am a Motherwell fan, so I leave with a heavy heart. But I have made memories and friends for life at a club I’ve been involved with all my life.”

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson added: “David is a wonderful player who will go on to big things in his career.

“The staff are all delighted to have played a part in his development throughout his career to date.

“From a football perspective, it is obviously sore to lose a player of his quality. But that is the model at Motherwell. We develop players to go on to a higher level and he is another success story in that regard.

Everyone at Motherwell FC thanks David for his efforts during his long spell at the club, and wish him well for his future career.

• Thanks 1

and from the chairman......

It is with mixed emotions that we have agreed to sell David Turnbull to Celtic FC. David leaves us for a fee nearly double our previous record transfer.

David is the latest in a long line of players who have developed with us. Marvin Johnson, Ben Heneghan, Louis Moult, Cédric Kipré and James Scott are recent success stories in what we set out to achieve. We provide talented players with a platform to showcase and enhance their abilities.

Our continued success in that area is huge testament to our manager Stephen Robinson, his coaching staff, our academy staff and our scouting and recruitment department.

In this particular case, significant tribute must also be paid to David Henderson, our head physiotherapist, for his outstanding dedication to David’s physical and mental rehabilitation over the last 12 months.

As chairman, I am delighted with this clear vindication of our strategy. For the health and prosperity of our fan-owned club, we must continue on this path.

As a fan, I also feel the loss of such talented individuals who contribute to our success on the pitch. Everyone at the club does, particularly our manager. Stephen has performed phenomenally across his almost four years in charge.

The money we receive for David will allow us in part to build up the strategic reserve, which helps secure and sustain us through such difficult and uncertain times. But this is also an opportunity to invest in the infrastructure, for example our training ground, academy and other facilities, with a view to providing an even-better environment for player development.

We wish David every success for the future. He is a local boy who has supported this club all of his life and has given us many memorable moments on the pitch. His agreement to extend his contract is a testament to his integrity and in doing so he secured the club’s interests as well as his own.

As I’ve said above, as a fan, I regret to see him leave Fir Park. But the club can take pride knowing we have played a part in help develop this exceptionally talented footballer and young man, whose legacy will endure for many years.

Jim McMahon
Chairman

3 minutes ago, Brazilian said:

Care to expand on what that says for those that cannot get access 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1