2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

• 3 weeks later...

Really concerning news that Stoke are apparently sniffing around Campbell! There has been a lot of chat about spending a little if we beat Coleraine to get a striker or winger but in my opinion we MUST throw a bucket of cash at Allan Campbell and get him to re-sign, no matter what.

He is OOC at the end of the season, him going for free would cost the club around £1.5m . But selling him in the next 3 weeks would,for me, mean certain relegation and the issues that would bring!

The next few weeks are gonna make, or break our season.

32 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Really concerning news that Stoke are apparently sniffing around Campbell! There has been a lot of chat about spending a little if we beat Coleraine to get a striker or winger but in my opinion we MUST throw a bucket of cash at Allan Campbell and get him to re-sign, no matter what.

He is OOC at the end of the season, him going for free would cost the club around £1.5m . But selling him in the next 3 weeks would,for me, mean certain relegation and the issues that would bring!

Allan Campbell will move on, as its part of our business model. I'm not in favour of throwing a bucket of cash at him or indeed any player. Any increase we could offer would be modest, in comparison to what he will be offered in England's leagues outwith the top division. 

58 minutes ago, Shaka said:

As I said in previous post we could double or even triple what we paying Campbell and it would come nowhere near what he could earn at Stoke

The Wee Man has been more than fair with the club and more than deserves his chance of a decent move if it comes along

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaka said:

Certain relegation? Calm doon a wee bit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaka said:

It’s not if but when regardless of how much we offer him, that the nature of Motherwell, we develop players and try to maximise the transfer fee when they leave. I don’t agree that selling him means certain relegation, no player is bigger than the club and it’s about reinvesting a portion of the fee in other players. We are clearly short in certain areas with midfield being pretty poor this season in my view. Ideally I would like to see another centre half through the door along with an out and out striker with an eye for goal but that costs. I still believe we have plenty of quality in the squad although losing Turnbull is obviously a blow even though we all knew it was coming.  We have not suddenly become the worst team in the league, we should certainly have had more points so I don’t buy this relegation certainties line a few games in.

• Like 1

I have supported Motherwell for over 60 years , and I don't normally get too down about how things might pan out, but watching that game gives me the fear. We have one piece of magic from Campbell, and then the rest of the match were absolutely honking. Polworth wants too much time on the ball, and really did nothing positive of note, I could say the same about O'Hara, there are others who I'm sure, believe they are better than the other teams , and never seem to give 100%. How many chances did we create ( one ) that is relegation material, and the sooner some of this team realise that, and get the finger out, and give everything they have for the team, we will be in this position for a long time. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

The funny thing is that, on paper, we have a stronger squad than last season and I still believe that. In itself though that doesn’t win games.  Something doesn’t feel right but I can’t put my finger on what is amiss. In the main we have recruited some decent players but could it be the mix isn’t right. 

Injuries certainly haven’t helped and unfortunately most have been left sided. I think Robbo is still struggling to find the right formation to bring out the best in the squad. 

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Allan Campbell will move on, as its part of our business model. I'm not in favour of throwing a bucket of cash at him or indeed any player. Any increase we could offer would be modest, in comparison to what he will be offered in England's leagues outwith the top division. 

I have no doubt he will move on. But he is the best player at the club by an absolute mile, our ONLY saleable asset left and the heartbeat of the team. Thats why I think we need to try tie him down with a view to actively sell him in the summer.

Id give him a new deal and make him the highest paid player at the club. With the agreement we will actively help him to move once the season ends, maybe even a sweetener for him at our end.

He is a massively important player, and to lose him & Turnbull so close together would be us cutting our own throats. Players that bring what he brings to the team do not come cheap and are generally not available for clubs like us at this time in the transfer window. With Donnelly already out till the new year, selling Campbell right now would be suicide

Selling Campbell right now makes financial but not football sense. If Donnelly had not got injured, we could perhaps get away with selling him and going with a midfield three of O'Hara, Polworth and Donnelly. Problem is (as it  is now with Donnelly injured) that leaves us with three recognised midfielders (given Robinson has made clear he doesn't think Maguire or Cornelius are ready and doesn't see Grimshaw as a centre midfield option) so you don't have anyone putting pressure on the guys in the team. 

Robinson started the season with five players he saw as first team central midfielders. We've sold one and have one out injured til at least January.  Could be argued we need another centre midfielder for cover at least just now, not to be selling another one...

When a player is ready to leave us there isn't much we can do. Money is one factor,  but taking on a new challenge and progressing is another. The club is pretty vocal about our model of selling players, and they might as well embrace it because that's the way it's going to be anyway. 

Campbell is the poster boy for our academy due to how driven he is, and how hard he has worked to meet his goals and make the most of his career.  I'd be surprised if his ambitions ended with us.  While it would be nice if he signed a deal so that we could make some money off him, and I hope he does, we can't force him to . 

Since we would be due compensation anyway, I'd prefer we kept him until the end of his contract rather than cash in now, but things aren't that simple when human beings are involved. 

Either way, who is next in line to graduate from the academy and give us 100 appearances?

21 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

When a player is ready to leave us there isn't much we can do. Money is one factor,  but taking on a new challenge and progressing is another. The club is pretty vocal about our model of selling players, and they might as well embrace it because that's the way it's going to be anyway. 

Campbell is the poster boy for our academy due to how driven he is, and how hard he has worked to meet his goals and make the most of his career.  I'd be surprised if his ambitions ended with us.  While it would be nice if he signed a deal so that we could make some money off him, and I hope he does, we can't force him to . 

Since we would be due compensation anyway, I'd prefer we kept him until the end of his contract rather than cash in now, but things aren't that simple when human beings are involved. 

Either way, who is next in line to graduate from the academy and give us 100 appearances?

Seeing as we have essentially disbanded the Academy / Reserve teams, and sold anybody capable of actually  controlling and passing a football, there ISNT anybody left! Maybe in 2-3 years. But for now, once Campbell goes we have a couple seasons at least with a team full of non league journeymen from Martin Foyles back yard to look forward to

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

All this chat about how we are heading for certain relegation got me thinking about what fans of other clubs are saying about their team so I took a couple of hours to scrawl through all the forums of RossCo,St Mirren et al and guess what?

They are saying the same things about their teams that we’re saying about ours.

Truth of the matter is that the quality of our League this season is crap and every team in the bottom 8 are as bad as each other.

Whether that is down to the unusual circumstances with Covid or not I don’t know but not having the usual build up to games and the lack of match atmosphere might be having a negative effect on every team.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, santheman said:

All this chat about how we are heading for certain relegation got me thinking about what fans of other clubs are saying about their team so I took a couple of hours to scrawl through all the forums of RossCo,St Mirren et al and guess what?

They are saying the same things about their teams that we’re saying about ours.

Truth of the matter is that the quality of our League this season is crap and every team in the bottom 8 are as bad as each other.

Whether that is down to the unusual circumstances with Covid or not I don’t know but not having the usual build up to games and the lack of match atmosphere might be having a negative effect on every team.

There is a massive 3 points between us and 5th, it really is plain daft for anyone to talk of relegation at this point. I think we could well see another couple of players come in after the sale of Turnbull and the long term injuries. Things could turn around so quickly, we really are not a million miles away.

I agree that I think we will now see a new midfielder come in given the situation with Donnelly, Turnbull & quite possibly Campbell changing from the beginning of the season. The problem is who that midfielder will be. If we could grab someone on loan from an EPL team I reckon that would be the best chance of adding some quality, otherwise we're looking at someone currently without a club, or from a lower division for 'nominal' fee, neither of which would necessarily improve the starting 11. 

I'd be surprised if we signed another striker. We've got plenty in the squad, and they should be plenty capable of scoring once we settle on a best line-up. There's more chance of getting a 5+ goal midfielder than a 10+ goal striker at this stage.

6 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

I have supported Motherwell for over 60 years , and I don't normally get too down about how things might pan out, but watching that game gives me the fear. We have one piece of magic from Campbell, and then the rest of the match were absolutely honking. Polworth wants too much time on the ball, and really did nothing positive of note, I could say the same about O'Hara, there are others who I'm sure, believe they are better than the other teams , and never seem to give 100%. How many chances did we create ( one ) that is relegation material, and the sooner some of this team realise that, and get the finger out, and give everything they have for the team, we will be in this position for a long time. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

O’Hara is playing out of position … … he is not a defensive midfield player and I think we miss his presence in the opposition box when he is allowed to push on a bit