2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

Surely we are back to the same point, the ones that were up to it broke into the first team and did well, the ones that were not got some game time but did not show enough to retain a place. As pointed out in a previous post no one that’s been released over recent times has gone on to prove us wrong. Really I can’t see what the argument is, it’s not like we are doing a Rangers and paying a fortune for players while the academy players get nowhere near the first team squad.

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

It’s a difficult balance granted, can you give the “they’re not good enough” mantra a break as it’s simply not the case. Mixed messages form coaching department are in play too.

Reserve matches may not give the full picture as much as loaning our prospects isn’t always the answer. Whilst good to see them get game time, their development depends on the structure of the loan and being at a suited club as much as the players’  application . Taking Jamie Semple as an example, Cove Rangers walked their league, given their backing and ambitions are expected to do similar this year - involved as the team are rarely on the backfoot doesn’t suggest a player will return to us  game ready, but, playing against some experience is key?

Just on Jamie Semple, I struggle to recall the last time I seen him play after QotS away  but is he definitely the no8 we seemingly transformed him into? Or could he return to a forward role at Cove? 

I’d expect Cove to know who/what they’re getting & what’s expected of them.

That change in direction was influenced by Maurice Ross. I’m not convinced in its merit (probably why I’m not a licensed coach) - he certainly had more influence on a game in that role. Talented with strength that belies his years, his change has seen him drop out of Scotland youth reckoning with the courting of the academies at Liverpool, Southampton & the likes long gone.

Livi wanted to keep Crawford due to him being a good player, but Crawford wanted to leave Livi. They’ve come to an agreement with us to cover his wages for now, and all going to plan he’ll sign for us in January. FYI he signed for Livi the same summer Dec joined us, so this isn’t the alleged old pals act. There’s an actual player in there, he’s just not at the right team. 

I’ve made the above up based on a forum rumour that there’s a PCA being signed in January. To me, there’s as much (if not more) plausibility to this scenario as there is a mid-table SPL side loaning another mid-table SPL side’s below-standard player in a panic following winning in Europe/to make up numbers. 

31 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I hope the window closes soon before Someone snaps up Campbell 

I've been following us long enough that it doesn't bother me like it used to when one of our best players leave but I'll genuinely be gutted when campbell leaves,he epitomises everything that's good about club.hopefully he's here for a bit longer but I'm sure there's a good move just around the corner for him,i see no reason why he can't do similar to john mcginn and go and make a name for himself down south.

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

There is no new stadium and it is unlikely there will be

They have still spent some money on it, though, even just on planning and the original work done.

Plus the Aberdeen chairman claimed they were losing £1 million a month during shutdown.

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

They have still spent some money on it, though, even just on planning and the original work done.

Plus the Aberdeen chairman claimed they were losing £1 million a month during shutdown.

It’s a grand training facility (which is a good thing) .

12 hours ago, ropy said:

Aberdeen have money to burn

12 hours ago, ropy said:

Aberdeen have money to burn

Are you sure? They’ve come to an agreement to defer Johnny Hayes wages for a year as they can’t afford them and they made a deal to sign McCrorie on a season long loan before becoming permanent as they can’t afford to sign him now.

Lets be honest Aberdeen are not buying Alan Campbell. The Q is will anyone else ? 

He is getting plaudits from all corners and we all know how pivotal he is to our team.

He just seems not to be the player that gets due recognition. Maybe if he was Australian and / or dyed his hair blonde......

He is in his last year unless he chooses to extend so his worth is probably less than we would like. I think he would be worth between Scott and Turnbull in a perfect world. Which means it would take £1.5m + for the club to be tempted. But I am sure most bids would be less than that. 

You wonder what the impact of him moving on would be to the team. We certainly would need a capable replacement and I expect the fans would hope for more than a player not getting game time for anyone below us in the ranking or a non league player who is a risk.

Exactly 2 weeks until the transfer window closes. Will we see a bid and more importantly will we see a bid that we cannot turn down. 

41 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

He is in his last year unless he chooses to extend so his worth is probably less than we would like. I think he would be worth between Scott and Turnbull in a perfect world. Which means it would take £1.5m + for the club to be tempted. But I am sure most bids would be less than that. 

You wonder what the impact of him moving on would be to the team. We certainly would need a capable replacement and I expect the fans would hope for more than a player not getting game time for anyone below us in the ranking or a non league player who is a risk.

The problem is that if we value Campbell at say £1.5million, how much would his replacement cost? Our business model is well known, we aren't going to start splurging cash on new signings. I agree that quality over quantity should be the deciding factor here but can't see anyone being signed from out with the usual places.

We as a club are in a very difficult position regarding Campbell. He can sign a precontract shortly which will only entitle us to training compensation , so there’s no hope in hell we are getting £1.5M in this transfer window.  Also if by some miracle we manage to get him to extend his contract there we are giving up our safety net of training compensation and gambling on a future and more substantial transfer fee 

We must be due decent compensation for campbell? 500k minimum?

No idea how this stuff is worked out, perhaps someone can enlighten me, but based on hastie/ erwin fees and the fact campbell has played more games, domestically and internationally.

Factor in a couple league positions and a cup run he is absolutely worth holding out for the right price. So IMO we shouldnt be accepting anything less than 1.5-2M plus add ons for campbell. His influence on the team is absolutely worth that to us right now.

Made up transfer scenarios aside, I cannot speak highly enough of this boy. His application and attitude is second to none and could have a very good career ahead of him.

If a magic genie offered us 1.5mish now or £500k in compo at the end of the year, I would choose the latter.

It's tough watching the likes of Scott and Cadden move on, it's brutal seeing Turnbull grinning at us all in a Celtic shirt, but I'll genuinely be gutted when the wee man goes. Would love to keep him for just one more season, especially seeing as we are surely financially secure for years to come. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

The back page of The Sun reporting we have opened talks with Allan Campbell as we could lose him for 'buttons'.

(Saw it on the BBC Gossip page online, I didn't buy The Sun, honest!).

Aye. Apparently he's got a new contract under his nose now - ball is in his court.