2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

16 minutes ago, Kat said:

He had an interview before the Scottish Cup Final where he said he met the 1991 team, heard their stories and what it meant to the town back then. Essentially Campbell said he'd love to emulate what they done for the club he supports and mentioned his season ticket for the East Stand. Wonder if he changed allegiance at some point. 

Pretty sure he also mentioned how he'd like to emulate his ancestors  and slaughter some macdonalds before he moves on. :D

Hibs want Campbell according to reports and not surprised they are interested. Hopefully he has higher aspirations although I don’t think there will a queue of championship teams willing to pay the big dollar for him as many believe on here.

some might take their chance on training compensation fee in summer

21 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Hibs want Campbell according to reports and not surprised they are interested. Hopefully he has higher aspirations although I don’t think there will a queue of championship teams willing to pay the big dollar for him as many believe on here.

some might take their chance on training compensation fee in summer

Have one of their fans won the lottery or something. They have put a substantial bid in for a St Mirren player !

The only chance Campbell will be offski will be if someone bids £1m +. We would be due £500k + in compensation and a season with him in the team could easily earn us the balance if we go from say 8th to 5th and potentially Europa Conference football or whatever it is. 

I suspect he will sign a pre contract come Jan for a Championship club and we will get any compensation due. 

They supposedly have a rich owner who "wiped out their bank debt" - although that typically means "wiped out their bank debt and expect large sums to be paid back to new owner instead". That was after they had promised to let fans own 51% - and why Leann was employed there - and then abandoned that idea and sold majority ownership to some US businessman.

However,  given how much they have complained about being skint in the past few months (including shutting down their academy) it would be surprising if they had money to burn.

Isn't it going to be ironic when the clubs go begging to the government for hand outs, as most surely will, after spending large in the transfer market? I am thinking mostly of the ugly sisters in a Scottish context, but Hibs might be planning to join them. Clubs that have played fair and lived within their means, like ourselves, will probably look a little foolish if we just use up cash reserves while others survive on "free money" from central government funding.

6 hours ago, The African said:

Isn't it going to be ironic when the clubs go begging to the government for hand outs, as most surely will, after spending large in the transfer market? I am thinking mostly of the ugly sisters in a Scottish context, but Hibs might be planning to join them. Clubs that have played fair and lived within their means, like ourselves, will probably look a little foolish if we just use up cash reserves while others survive on "free money" from central government funding.

Nobody’s getting any money from central government or any government for that matter

10 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Have one of their fans won the lottery or something. They have put a substantial bid in for a St Mirren player !

The only chance Campbell will be offski will be if someone bids £1m +. We would be due £500k + in compensation and a season with him in the team could easily earn us the balance if we go from say 8th to 5th and potentially Europa Conference football or whatever it is. 

I suspect he will sign a pre contract come Jan for a Championship club and we will get any compensation due. 

There’s no guarantee we are getting £500k in compensation. This is dependant on where he ends up. If he stays in this league it could be around half that amount 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/devante-cole-targeted-motherwell-return-22757667

Devante Cole targeted for Motherwell return as Stephen Robinson plots reunion with striker

The 25-year-old terminated a successful loan spell at Fir Park to join Doncaster Rovers permanently but the move hasn't worked out.

Motherwell are keen to bring Devante Cole back to the club before the close of the window.

The striker had a successful loan spell at Fir Park last season and Well boss Stephen Robinson is keen to work with him again.

Cole - the son of former England and Manchester United star Andy - was on loan from Wigan last season but terminated that deal last January for a permanent move to Doncaster Rovers.

The 25-year-old isn’t getting the game time he hoped at Rovers and could now return north if a deal can be done.

Robinson is also keen to bring in another goalkeeper to cover for Trevor Carson.

Scott Fox came in but he has suffered a serious knee injury and Robinson feels he needs more cover between the sticks.

Motherwell could let several of their younger players out on loan to free up additional wages.

Young centre half Yusuf Mohamed, who was wanted by Peterhead, now looks set to move to Airdrie on loan.

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

They supposedly have a rich owner who "wiped out their bank debt" - although that typically means "wiped out their bank debt and expect large sums to be paid back to new owner instead". .........

However,  given how much they have complained about being skint in the past few months (including shutting down their academy) it would be surprising if they had money to burn.

Dundee United all over again? A white knight who is gifting the club money? Aye right.

Maybe AC's agent stirring the pot.

2 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

I do rate Alan Campbell, but I don't see him going south because the one thing he lacks is pace. If he was a yard faster he would have gone long before this. 

Fifa is by no means 100% accurate, but i'm sure it's decent enough gauge here. In last years edition, Campbells pace was 71 as opposed to John Mcginn who was 73, is  Allan Campebll slow? I wouldn't say so. 

you look at a club like Brentford who just raked in 25 million, possibly more, for ollie watkins, is a 1.5-2m punt on Campbell a wild suggestion, even then I wouldn't even refer to it as a punt. I personally don't think the championship is anything to be raved about, the standard out with 5 or 6 teams is average at best, he would do just fine in that league i'd imagine.

33 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Fifa is by no means 100% accurate, but i'm sure it's decent enough gauge here. In last years edition, Campbells pace was 71 as opposed to John Mcginn who was 73, is  Allan Campebll slow? I wouldn't say so. 

you look at a club like Brentford who just raked in 25 million, possibly more, for ollie watkins, is a 1.5-2m punt on Campbell a wild suggestion, even then I wouldn't even refer to it as a punt. I personally don't think the championship is anything to be raved about, the standard out with 5 or 6 teams is average at best, he would do just fine in that league i'd imagine.

Campbell is definitely slow. He's got a great engine but he's extremely one paced.

I think he would struggle in the championship tbh. He didn't cover himself in glory on Sunday there against Kamara and Davis. 

48 minutes ago, mfc said:

Campbell would be ideal for the english championship,other than a bigger wage going to give would be a total sideways move,he's a stand out midfielder in our league and when he moves on it should be to a higher level.

You've got to wonder if the English Championship gravy train is going to be ended by Covid, at least for the immediate future.

4 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/devante-cole-targeted-motherwell-return-22757667

Devante Cole targeted for Motherwell return as Stephen Robinson plots reunion with striker

The 25-year-old terminated a successful loan spell at Fir Park to join Doncaster Rovers permanently but the move hasn't worked out.

Motherwell are keen to bring Devante Cole back to the club before the close of the window.

The striker had a successful loan spell at Fir Park last season and Well boss Stephen Robinson is keen to work with him again.

Cole - the son of former England and Manchester United star Andy - was on loan from Wigan last season but terminated that deal last January for a permanent move to Doncaster Rovers.

The 25-year-old isn’t getting the game time he hoped at Rovers and could now return north if a deal can be done.

Robinson is also keen to bring in another goalkeeper to cover for Trevor Carson.

Scott Fox came in but he has suffered a serious knee injury and Robinson feels he needs more cover between the sticks.

Motherwell could let several of their younger players out on loan to free up additional wages.

Young centre half Yusuf Mohamed, who was wanted by Peterhead, now looks set to move to Airdrie on loan.

Does this mean that SR is admitting that White and Lang are crap if he needs to sign another forward. If I was SR my priority would be a replacement for Lanier and McGinley.

McGinley?

I know fans love to judge players far too early in their 'Well career, but McGinley has had 2 games thanks to injuries.

Maybe need to give him a few more starts for consistency before we start getting the knives out. A string of games has done wonders for Mugabi.

3 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

The 2 guys from Accies that went south weren’t exactly blessed with blistering pace either. There are a good number of midfield players in the EPL even who can’t be described as having pace. Milner, Noble, McGinn, to start with so I’m sure he would do well in championship at the very least. 

I like Devante Cole, he can play across the front 3. I also like how Robinson says Devante, so I am encouraged by this news.

It's a difficult situation with our attacking options, White has been poor and doesn't look like a fit at this level, and Watt and Long have shown glimpses, but we know that they're both inconsistent. We don't have the right front man to play along with wingers effectively, and our wingers aren't particularly good either, so it's hard to disagree with bringing in another striker.