2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

51 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

For 1 player not their whole budget. Surely not out of the question. And how long would it be for? Most likely not long term. 

That's not how these things work though generally...we could burst our wage budget out the park (and that's what it would be if we wanted to go toe-to-toe with Aberdeen over a player), he could go out the next week and get injured, we'd grab have a player on a contract that we probably couldn't afford and we would have an unhappy squad watching one player getting multiple times what the rest are getting

9 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

That's not how these things work though generally...we could burst our wage budget out the park (and that's what it would be if we wanted to go toe-to-toe with Aberdeen over a player), he could go out the next week and get injured, we'd grab have a player on a contract that we probably couldn't afford and we would have an unhappy squad watching one player getting multiple times what the rest are getting

If that means we never sign another ‘ build me up dud’ like Lamie or Mcginley, then the answer is firmly yes, please

I cant see Alan Campbell going to Hibs or Aberdeen right now. Given we still get a development fee for him in the summer they would need to come up with in the region of £1m plus add ons to make it worth our while selling him now. I dont see either having that kinda cash in the current climate. More likely his agent trying to stimulate interest.

I have seen reports that we are looking for a goalkeeper to cover for the unfortunate Scott Fox. Perhaps young Morrison's call up to the Scotland Under 21 squad ( congratulations and good luck to the lad ) might make them think again? No point spending money to cover a contingency when there are obvious deficiencies, requiring more urgent action, elsewhere in the squad.

1 hour ago, mfc said:

I still think mcginley needs a run of games to see exactly what he might offer us,lamie on the other hand has been shite,sadly i can see him being one of they players the manager picks no matter how bad they are.

I’d try McGinley in place of Lamie. Feck, I’d try Mary Poppins in place of Lamie just now. 

9 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I think there are some people being very harsh on McGinley 

Yep, he’s hardly played a game and in my view done very little wrong, I don’t get how he’s already a terrible player.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The African said:

I have seen reports that we are looking for a goalkeeper to cover for the unfortunate Scott Fox. Perhaps young Morrison's call up to the Scotland Under 21 squad ( congratulations and good luck to the lad ) might make them think again? No point spending money to cover a contingency when there are obvious deficiencies, requiring more urgent action, elsewhere in the squad.

I'd rather we signed cover and sent PJ out on loan. He may be a capable understudy to Carson, but will grow more getting a regular game elsewhere I think.

I thought that last season I would have said he showed signs of promise, but this season sadly not although to be fair I didn’t think he got much opportunity to show last seasons promise, I wish him luck with Ross County

Does this mean we will bring in a couple of players now? I am not sure if Cole will be the answer if we get him and I wonder why he was not getting games with Doncaster?

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I cant say I am overly enthusiastic about Cole, but I hope to be proved wrong

I also have my doubts that he’s really what we need right now, as with yourself hope to be proven wrong. With Campbell probably on the way out we need to be bringing in two or three decent players over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Last season Cole was our best option through the middle when we were playing 4-3-3.  

However does being our best option warrant him being brought back?  Also are we even going to play 4-3-3?

And with all due respect Cole had 6 goals in his last 47 league appearances going back to 2018 which hardly represents a big improvement in goal scoring over our other strikers who don't often score.

You kind of get the impression in that bringing back Hastie, Long and Cole that we are out of new ideas.

52 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Hylton out and Cole in. I'd say that's net positive. 

Like others I’m not convinced of Cole. Yet another striker in. I agree Hylton will be no great loss but that now leaves us with 2 wingers neither of whom have performed. We need to strengthen the central midfield and bring in a pacy winger, but that will depend on moving others on probably. 

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Hylton seems like a good guy. It's shite he has to spend a winter in Dingwall but hopefully he does well and gets back to civilization at some point. 

Cole seemed like he couldn't wait to leave last December so it's a strange one he's back. He will improve us.

Think it's a case of things didn't work out and beggars can't be choosers. I agree though he will improve us. 

Not sad to see Hylton leave, although he was the best of our 3 wingers!

Not convinced about Cole. He's a decent player with pace to burn but not too much of a goalscorer. Last season he was predominantly thro the middle of the 3, are we going back to that? Lang / Watt / Cole could be a decent front 3. If its 2 up front then is it worth it? We would have Watt & Long / Lang / Cole / White. Just seems excessive.