2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

I am running the site.  That's why I've directed you to the thread with the title that says 2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread with the 78 pages worth of chat about exactly that.

Shame you've thrown your toys out the pram about that.

Thanks

4r4h2k.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, gaz7 said:

With ohara to centre back and donnelly and Carroll back this would make a big difference. A big problem is goals and if Aaron's was available hed be great. White.hastie.long. lamie.mcginley.bevis. unfortunately are not good enough and can go anytime.

McAllister not getting a game at stmirren I've always thought is a player. Plus obika . Mcmann accies lb. There are loads of players in spl who I feel would improve us more than some that are picked up from non league england.  Some of celtic or rangers youths who have stalled their careers at aged 20ish must be better than some of our recent buys. 

Deary me, Obika? Already been here and Manzinga was considered a better option... McMann at Accies? For what? Carrying the strip hampers?

Rangers and Celtic youths are on salaries some can only dream about & are commanding similar terms elsewhere whilst their holding clubs are commanding development fees way and above what’s affordable. Are you seeing value for money there?

40 minutes ago, jim64 said:

If we’re in the market for a creative player Stevie Malian at Hibs doesn’t seem to be getting much game time no sure we could afford him right enough:dontknow:

We'll probably end up signing another 2 left backs. And then wait for the news they both picked up long term injuries during their first week of training.

On 12/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, CoF said:

That faith has been gradually eroded the last 12 months. Unfortunately for Robbo, we've been in relegation form for a year so no matter the difficulties of a January window, this one is huge. 

We're in top 6 form since the start of the season... 

Fortunately so, yes. But thats what our form is.

3 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

We're in top 6 form since the start of the season... 

Fortunately so, yes. But thats what our form is.

As I posted elsewhere, in games we've actually played we're averaging about 0.92 points a game in 2020 and it's roughly the same for season 2020/21. If we keep up that trend we'll finish on 36-40 (ish) points, depending on how Kilmarnock and St Mirren's appeal goes. That involves slipping down the league to what is usually a bottom 3 position with the possibility of relegation play-offs. 

That there is the 2020 form under Robinson. The only reason we care about form is to crudely predict what is likely to happen next. Those additional 6 points completely skew the trend and you would be mad to think they are somehow relevant to our actual on-field performances. We are absolutely in relegation form regardless of whether those points are there are not. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

To me the biggest problem we have is we don't have a leader on the park. Previously we had Hartley, now we have Gallagher, and I just don't think he has the right makeup to be Captain.

Some truth in that. Not every good player has what it takes to be a leader. That said, the entire team lacks character. There's no fighting spirit this season. Its somewhat ironic that last year we had players like Hartley and Tait with spades of character but they were weak links football wise.

1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

To me the biggest problem we have is we don't have a leader on the park. Previously we had Hartley, now we have Gallagher, and I just don't think he has the right makeup to be Captain.

I look at the team, and the only candidate I see who might work is Watt. 

Yeah I think the loss of both tait and hartley was a mistake for this reason, even their influence in training and in the changing room will have a positive impact on the rest. That said think they'd both be in our starting 11 right now if fit.

1 hour ago, mfc88 said:

Yeah I think the loss of both tait and hartley was a mistake for this reason, even their influence in training and in the changing room will have a positive impact on the rest. That said think they'd both be in our starting 11 right now if fit.

You just need to look at Taits performances against us and Rangers. Not bad for someone we were all saying was done.

At the time i though letting tait and harley go was the right decision,from our point of view i thought we had as good as we were going to get out them,i thought tait played well against us last week and looked in decent shape and would easily walk into our team,ive no idea about hartley but I'm sure he would be a far better option than either mugabi or lamie,failing to replace either with guys of even of similar standard has been farcical.we definitely miss there leadership,either player had no problem about sticking up for themselves and there team mates against opposition players,you wouldn't see that now,were far to soft in that department.

• Like 1

This is very much a case of players suddenly being better the minute they left us, both Hartley and Tait took plenty of stick on here. Tait did not accept an offer and only came back when Covid hit then made out it was all the clubs fault, he was slow and past it by all accounts and Hartley was a Dino who just hoofed it up the field. Both O'Donnell and Carroll are better full backs than Tait was when he left. The pair of them have gone and in my view both needed to move on, we simply failed to replace Hartley and that was the actual mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

This is very much a case of players suddenly being better the minute they left us, both Hartley and Tait took plenty of stick on here. Tait did not accept an offer and only came back when Covid hit then made out it was all the clubs fault, he was slow and past it by all accounts and Hartley was a Dino who just hoofed it up the field. Both O'Donnell and Carroll are better full backs than Tait was when he left. The pair of them have gone and in my view both needed to move on, we simply failed to replace Hartley and that was the actual mistake.

Sometimes a player is like a Manager ie he has a shelf life at one club and you go stale and lose a bit of enthusiasm.

I think that was maybe the case with Tait as he has looked more like his old self with the midden this year.

Hartley was definitely struggling towards the end of his time with us.

Hartley leaving was correct decision and majority agreed at end of season.  I would have loved Tait to stay but at end of day it was him that knocked back offer.  We could do with him at left back just now. All about opinions but as I have said before Carroll seems to get better the longer he is out injured, I can't say I was overly impressed last season but jeez is miles better than our current options

Quote from Stephen Robinson "It’s Christmas now, some people might not have done what we expected and we need to either get more from them or change that.  I have got one quite far down the line. We are braced if anyone comes in for one of our players as well".

This just goes to underline discussion on this thread that we can expect some movement both in and out next month.

Find some of the comments on here about Tait a little surprising. I thought when Hastie came on last week he went past him at will, in fact did Tait not get yellow carded for pulling him down and then get hooked?

When I’ve seen him play for Saints this seasons he’s been exactly what you would expect, fairly solid but limited and struggles badly against pace. I’m happy to have O’Donnell over him.

Must keep Gallagher in Jan, otherwise I suspect we could be looking at a relegation dogfight in March/April. Would love us to sign someone decent to play alongside him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, couttsy said:

Find some of the comments on here about Tait a little surprising. I thought when Hastie came on last week he went past him at will, in fact did Tait not get yellow carded for pulling him down and then get hooked?

When I’ve seen him play for Saints this seasons he’s been exactly what you would expect, fairly solid but limited and struggles badly against pace. 

Pretty much this. He looked good against us because we had no winger to occupy him. Pretty much had a free rein. As you say the appearance of Hastie changed that.

3 hours ago, mfc88 said:

Yes. Very worried at the prospect of losing campbell and/or gallagher. Don't know how we'd replace either, nor manage without.

Are you saying both players to be irreplaceable?

As we did with Campbell, those behind need the opportunity to flourish. Versatility isn’t always the answer.

Recruitment this summer has been done to death on here of late & with plenty of merit, certain amount of trust needs to offered regardless who may be in charge.