2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

We've got the basis of a good side. Lads like Carson (when fit), Gallagher, Carroll, Donnelly, Campbell and Watt are decent players. I don't know about McGinley, who was signed as a central defender, but he must be bad if he's behind Mugabi in the pecking order. Polworth too can play if the midfield mix is right and if he can motivated. Stephen O'Donnell for me has been a bit of a disappointment. Ok he hasn't made any outrageous blunders but by the same token his defending at times hasn't been great and not what you'd expect of an international. Assuming he stays, until the end of the season, which is not a given and Carson recovers quickly I reckon we'll need:

a central defender, at least one winger if not two, a main striker and maybe another central midfielder.

That could require some wheeling and dealing with soem deadwood being shipped out and we all know who they are. However, time is against us and we need to appoint a new manager first.  The new man will also need to be able to motivate some players. 

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We've got the basis of a good side. Lads like Carson (when fit), Gallagher, Carroll, Donnelly, Campbell and Watt are decent players. I don't know about McGinley, who was signed as a central defender, but he must be bad if he's behind Mugabi in the pecking order. Polworth too can play if the midfield mix is right and if he can motivated. Stephen O'Donnell for me has been a bit of a disappointment. Ok he hasn't made any outrageous blunders but by the same token his defending at times hasn't been great and not what you'd expect of an international. Assuming he stays, until the end of the season, which is not a given and Carson recovers quickly I reckon we'll need:

a central defender, at least one winger if not two, a main striker and maybe another central midfielder.

That could require some wheeling and dealing with soem deadwood being shipped out and we all know who they are. However, time is against us and we need to appoint a new manager first.  The new man will also need to be able to motivate some players. 

Those are certainly the positions that need filling and  it won’t be easy. I still feel the timing of the change is dreadful, either go earlier or stay and bring in the players already identified. No idea what happens now with those players already well down the line signing wise but I’m struggling to see how the new manager has time to judge who he wants to stay, who he would like to go, and then recruit those he needs, that’s a job for the summer. A positive start would be a fit Carson, Carroll, and Donnelly which alone would make a difference. I still think though even a manager coming in that could install a level of organisation and lift confidence may be enough to tip it back in a positive direction anyway, there is enough quality in the squad that even a couple of decent signings could turn it around. We are a million miles away from being a lost cause that’s for sure, it’s going to take the right appointment and some hard work but it’s more than doable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

We've got the basis of a good side. Lads like Carson (when fit), Gallagher, Carroll, Donnelly, Campbell and Watt are decent players. 

However, I suspect two or three on the good players list will need replaced when they turn down a deal to stay with a side facing a relegation dog fight. 

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

It looks like Gillespie to Hibs on loan.. come on Motherwell surely we should be head of the queue for getting Gillespie on loan, it might make the difference to staying up than getting relegated.

Completely agree he would’ve been a great loan option is Carson is injured but I imagine it will come down to money with Hibs being able to contribute more of his salary than we ever could. 

I like him, but you don't lose a whole lot by sticking grimshaw there, and I assume he's on fairly decent money that we could use for someone who can't be replaced by grimshaw. 

Did a motherwell fan "go" stoke to buy our players from us a la championship manager? 

O'Donnell is a decent player but at our level where games have countless errors  you need to make an impact on goals scored or conceded. I don't think O'Donnell has done better by that assesment than Grimmy has at left back this season. 

Spend our cash on someone who puts points on the board. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

O'Donnell is a decent player but at our level where games have countless errors  you need to make an impact on goals scored or conceded. I don't think O'Donnell has done better by that assesment than Grimmy has at left back this season. 

Spend our cash on someone who puts points on the board. 

Ive always liked the Rb Naismith (Jason?) who is now back at Ross County on a short term deal. Maybe we can work out a swap deal, Polworth & White go back up north for Naismith & Stewart :lol:

8 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

If that’s true and not the usual DR shite then it sounds as if big Dec might be part of the problem!

This is the first we’ve heard about the trigger for a contract extension for Gallagher eh? Scotland heroics aside, I’ve not been convinced by him this season and I don’t think his earlier comments on Robinson’s mental health, while admitting the players weren’t giving it their all, was befitting of a club captain.

I’d punt him if he’s one of the players that doesn’t give a fuck about Motherwell. If Celtic want Gallagher though, they’ll need Hartley too to talk him through a game. 

What a bloody mess this season is. I wasn’t happy with Gallagher’s comments earlier in a Not the Old Firm article about the player’s being boys not men and that Daily Record one just doesn’t sit right with me from our captain.

Do we get rid? Normally I would be we’ve no one else anywhere near competent at centre back just now. I’d be removing him as captain regardless.

I’m totally scunnered with us this season. We’re too close for comfort to the bottom on points per game if the season does get stopped early again. The new manager has one hell of a job on his hands. 

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

So it seems he's not out of contract at all at the end of the season as the extension clause seems to be in our favour. As such his transfer value is higher than we thought.

As you say Dave - very interesting if true. 
Of course this could well get messy if Celtic as they will do offer us £75k for a 1st choice Scotland centre back and we rightly tell them to F off. A bit like the Carson scenario only would Deccy take it as well as Carson did... 

We need a new Manager quick to help sort this out once and for all.