2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

This is the first we’ve heard about the trigger for a contract extension for Gallagher eh? Scotland heroics aside, I’ve not been convinced by him this season and I don’t think his earlier comments on Robinson’s mental health, while admitting the players weren’t giving it their all, was befitting of a club captain.

I’d punt him if he’s one of the players that doesn’t give a fuck about Motherwell. If Celtic want Gallagher though, they’ll need Hartley too to talk him through a game. 

That was my thoughts to when i read his comments on robinsons mental health,it was a daft thing to come away with especially after the performances against the likes of st mirren and kilmarnock which ultimately made robinson chuck it,if him and the rest cared about robinsons wellbeing they would have bucked up there ideas long ago.theres a few remarks and backhanded comments made over the last few days that is a real cause for concern,i can't think of many times over the years where there is clearly big problems in the dressing room as what there appears to be the now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jack said:

Article says he is 6 games away but I think he has played 20 league games so only 5 from new contract, but it appears he dosent want it.

At the start of the season I thought he'd be away in January, so no big surprises here. 

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

At the start of the season I thought he'd be away in January, so no big surprises here. 

Agree with you ,so in reality if Big Dec has an opportunity to make a move that could benefit him and his family financially, then for the club to stand in his way if offers come in, is a lose lose situation.

We have an unhappy player on a longer contract ,who we are no doubt paying more in salary for.

I can't understand why people are getting upset at a player getting a chance to probably at least double his salary,  play in a better team than he is at the moment , regular European football,  and securing his family's future, no wonder he wants to move on.

So if the interest from Celtic is genuine is it any wonder he is not that keen on a new deal at FirPark.

Or alternatively, us activating a clause in his contract protecting the clubs financial interests. A club that has allowed him to build that platform. Nobody is denying him that move. But we all know they can afford to buy him if they want. Why bend over to Celtic? Gallagher signed the contract with us, clauses and all. Fuck him if he doesn’t like it. The last thing we should be doing is allowing him to walk for free. If they want him, pay for him. It really is that simple. We’re not a bloody charity club. 

• Like 5

If Declan genuinely did say he wants to go to another team in the same league then I'm happy for him to be shown the door right now. It's not the comment befitting a captain of a club that's struggling at the moment and doesn't exactly help the morale for the rest of the team. We need people that want to be here and fight for the club, not thinking about going to Celtic in 6 months time.  

Regarding Gallagher, I’ve not seen anything that suggests he’s thrown the towel in or that he’s been at fault for goals through lack of interest. Yes he’s not been the player he was last season but look what’s around him compared to last season. Also last season Donnelly protected the defence so that’s been a big miss.  
As for the story, that’s just an agent doing what agents do - link the player to one club and generate interest. 

12 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Regarding Gallagher, I’ve nit seen anything that suggests he’s thrown the towel in or that he’s been at fault for goals through lack of interest. Yes he’s nit been the player he was last season but look what’s around him compared to last season. Also last season Donnelly protected the defence so that’s been a big miss.  
As for the story, that’s just an agent doing what agents do - link the player to one club and generate interest. 

That's basically my view. 

I've not seen anything to show he's chucked it. He's been out best defender by a mile, if not quite up there with his own standards set last year. So, I can live with a story in the paper without getting hysterical about it and demanding captaincy stripped and all that.

From memory Dec didn't have an agent previously (think on a podcast he said it was him and his dad who discussed the current contract) but I am sure some sort of chat has happened with a DR journo to print the story. The actual quotes and wording of them I'll take with a pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, superward said:

Liam Kelly in shortly it would appear according to the local London press. 

Interesting that we are possibly signing Kelly, at least the club realises we have a major goalkeeping problem, so if true and we have brought back Morrison from Falkirk where does that leave Chapman? With any luck they will tear up his contract but I certainly would wish him all the best for the future, but it certainly not got a future with us.

it's paper talk, everything is paper talk, the guy has spoke nothing about good things since he joined the club, he doesn't owe us anything as such, it's a deal that has worked very well for both parties, he's not far away from his thirties, his stock is as high as it's ever been, he probably has one more big move in him before that stock quickly depreciates, a move that could set him for life financially. Surely we should all know by now that slurs like that from these papers should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

it's paper talk, everything is paper talk, the guy has spoke nothing about good things since he joined the club, he doesn't owe us anything as such, it's a deal that has worked very well for both parties, he's not far away from his thirties, his stock is as high as it's ever been, he probably has one more big move in him before that stock quickly depreciates, a move that could set him for life financially. Surely we should all know by now that slurs like that from these papers should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

What I know by now is that clubs, players, agents all use newspapers etc to further their agendas. And say what you like about the rags, when it comes to fitba, more often than not, they know what's happening before we do.

If it's a deal that's worked well for both parties, why does it look like he might get a move to his dream club while we're left up shit creek without a captain? Fair enough, his main concern is Declan Gallagher, so good luck to him. Mine is Motherwell FC. Respect is earned, so we'll just need to let this play out and see what happens. 

I was fully expecting that there would be interest in gallagher this month so I'm not surprised or bothered he's been linked with a move,i just hope there's nothing underhand going on though as the last thing we needed was stuff coming out that could potentially cause problems behind the scenes.

There are likely to be quite a few players leaving this window. Sadly it is also likely to be our better players who are in demand. 

Even if Celtic are interested in Gallacher I hope there are more clubs otherwise we can expect the usual derisory bid which would take us right back to the Carson scenario. We would quite rightly tell them to do one and we are left with a disgruntled player / captain. If he has a contract that means he could be here for another year after the summer that makes it very interesting as we are less likely to accept a poor offer. 

If there is any truth in this story and Celtic played fair and offered say £750-£1m+ then we could hand a fair chunk of that to any new Manager for the obvious rebuilding job that would be required. That would still leave the Turnbull money or most of it ring fenced. 

It could be a win win for both the player and the club. 

• Like 1