2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

16 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Kelly is a good signing. Now bring in Cedric Kipre, Kevin McDonald & Jason Cummings on loan along with the new Manager and that will tide us over to the summer where we can rebuild

We can only hope. I'd also add an attacking midfielder/playmaker to that list as we desperately need someone to create chances.

11 minutes ago, nsj said:

He seems to be the only one we have. If his form was that of 2019 then I’d agree. Hopefully the new manager or a new formation will help him. 

He’s played some good games and has the skill but has been crap this season. Just doesn’t look interested. Players go through bad spells but you can at least see them trying to work their way out of it. He seems to have just decided to hide but if the ball does come his way then he just strolls around till dispossessed or hits a wayward pass. He needs to step up the effort and demand and show for the ball more often start imposing himself on games. 

I find the Polworth criticism unjustified a lot of the time. Yes he can be wasteful, but at our level who isn't? I personally just think he's suffering from playing in a team bereft of confidence and conviction, I wouldn't be putting a creative number 10 type high on the transfer priorities list.

56 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Kelly is a good signing. Now bring in Cedric Kipre, Kevin McDonald & Jason Cummings on loan along with the new Manager and that will tide us over to the summer where we can rebuild

Kevin McDonald would be an interesting signing - Premiership player, clever passer, international (??) - but is he a luxury type, not a fighter? I think he’d be an improvement on some of our midfielders and might be a replacement for Turnbull.

3 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Definitely a  good player to have on the team and I hope we keep him which is why  I expect a lot more from him than what he is currently contributing. 
(Polworth)

To be fair though he may be scunnered with the long hoof ball we have been playing where we have not even been trying to play through the midfield. Maybe the new gaffer will change tactics a bit and force him to be involved in the games by actually encouraging the team to play some passing football. 

• Like 1

Polworth isn't a bad player if we can get him into the right areas like last season,if we don't it's like playing with a man down,he hasn't looked interested all season,granted we haven't been playing football that's even remotely decent but at the same time there's still nothing stopping him going looking for the ball and trying to influence games but like most of his team mates it's as if there just passing the buck and hoping somebody else takes charge.

9 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

To be fair though he may be scunnered with the long hoof ball we have been playing where we have not even been trying to play through the midfield.

Chicken and egg situation. Maybe we resort to hoofball because he's not doing it on the deck - thats my take on it? Although talented, he's not as physical as Turnbull and is a bit lightweight.  He needs hard working physical players around him to let him play. Maybe about the midfield mix? 

33 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Chicken and egg situation. Maybe we resort to hoofball because he's not doing it on the deck - thats my take on it? Although talented, he's not as physical as Turnbull and is a bit lightweight.  He needs hard working physical players around him to let him play. Maybe about the midfield mix? 

Definitely looking at one player in isolation is an over simplification. 

1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

I find the Polworth criticism unjustified a lot of the time. Yes he can be wasteful, but at our level who isn't? I personally just think he's suffering from playing in a team bereft of confidence and conviction, I wouldn't be putting a creative number 10 type high on the transfer priorities list.

Yes agree about Polworth and the  criticism of White when the lad has only had 3 starts this season.

Polworth and White played together at Inverness so surely its worth trying them both in same team.

19 minutes ago, Jack said:

Polworth and White played together at Inverness so surely its worth trying them both in same team.

I would suggest the Reserves? 

Seriously, I do think we are, at least partially, victims of the unique Covid situation in that the lack of reserve team and under 20s action will have been a major hindrance. We are currently trying to rebuild the first team and have no fixtures to experiment in, plus we are a club who look to give youth players a pathway and that is blocked off for now. Okay, other sides are in the same boat, but it seems to be a major factor to a club like ours.