2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

11 hours ago, mfc said:

Decent signing,other than carson he's far better than anything else we've had in goals this season.

It must be some kind of record I would imagine as Kelly is our sixth recognised goalkeeper this season, I know Fox got injured without getting a game and obviously PJ is not ready for first team football, but to have six goalkeepers, it must be a record.

Another point is Charles Dunne his contract is up at the end of the month, just wondering has he progressed with his injury, it must be 18-24 months since he last played for us, he seems to be a really nice guy and I would love to hope he can make a full recovery, but it doesn’t look too good for him, mind you it’s radio silence from the club about him.

50 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

If true, and if Millwall or any other other club want him now, then we should ask for a fee equivalent to the compensation we'd be due at the end of the season and then some. Otherwise retain his services until our last game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

If true, and if Millwall or any other other club want him now, then we should ask for a fee equivalent to the compensation we'd be due at the end of the season and then some. Otherwise retain his services until our last game. 

then we could be playing with one unhappy player, not fully commited to tackles in case of injury that would scupper a move in the summer 

9 minutes ago, smiddy said:

then we could be playing with one unhappy player, not fully commited to tackles in case of injury that would scupper a move in the summer 

If I was going to put money on any out of contract player in the squad continuing to give their all regardless of signing a pre contract or not getting a January move etc it would be Allan Campbell. Not far behind him it would be Declan Gallagher. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Another point is Charles Dunne his contract is up at the end of the month, just wondering has he progressed with his injury, it must be 18-24 months since he last played for us, he seems to be a really nice guy and I would love to hope he can make a full recovery, but it doesn’t look too good for him, mind you it’s radio silence from the club about him.

Last competitive game was Aug 2019, 15 months ago. I'd be surprised to see him back. 

39 minutes ago, smiddy said:

He's not really kicked a ball for us for some weeks now. We could always do as we've done at times in the past of course in simialr circumstances; give him a cut of the fee/excess fee. He'd have to up his game in return of course.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CoF said:

Interesting that we've eaten up a bit of the budget the day before the new manager comes in. Might mean we're either paying next to nothing for him, or the new manager is already at the club.....

The recruitment team led by Martin Foyle will know already who we're signing pretty much. The club won't be sitting on its hands waiting on a new manager to hand Burrows his transfer targets. It doesn't work that way these days.

9 minutes ago, David said:

The recruitment team led by Martin Foyle will know already who we're signing pretty much. The club won't be sitting on its hands waiting on a new manager to hand Burrows his transfer targets. It doesn't work that way these days.

Yip. And if anyone wants to know our next signing target, have a look at the squads of Gateshead or Livvy reserves

9 minutes ago, David said:

Surely the recruitment team identify the targets and the manager gets to say yeh or ney?

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Surely the recruitment team identify the targets and the manager gets to say yeh or ney?

I think the manager is part of the discussion, but if there is no manager at present I don't think the club will just sit back and do nothing as the window ticks by and potential targets sign elsewhere.

Case in point, signing the keeper. There's areas that we need filled, and the recruitment team along with Lasley and Burrows will likely be continuing to carry that out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David said:

I think the manager is part of the discussion, but if there is no manager at present I don't think the club will just sit back and do nothing as the window ticks by and potential targets sign elsewhere.

Case in point, signing the keeper. There's areas that we need filled, and the recruitment team along with Lasley and Burrows will likely be continuing to carry that out.

I'm pretty sure that the keeper situation will have been discussed with all interviewees...along the lines of 'did you see that Chapman dick in goals for us on Saturday?'...'yes, he was hopeless'...'well we can loan in Liam Kelly for 6months, any objections?'...'no batter in'

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm pretty sure that the keeper situation will have been discussed with all interviewees...along the lines of 'did you see that Chapman dick in goals for us on Saturday?'...'yes, he was hopeless'...'well we can loan in Liam Kelly for 6months, any objections?'...'no batter in'

Aye, there's no disagreement there.

I do think though that recruitment is mainly carried out by the recruitment team. It's all part of the thing that clubs do in the modern era to ensure that managerial changes don't result in entire squads having to be ripped up and started again.

Basically, we have recruitment policies in place, and a recruitment team that carries transfers out. Any new manager will be sounded out about our approach, the kind of players we're signing, the recruitment team itself and so on. And if they don't want to work that way they'll probably not be considered for the job.

Of course they'll have a say, but it's not like the olden days where a manager would go to the chairman with names of players he wants and the chairman goes out to sign them. 

I don't know for sure but would assume that the manager would identify positions for which we need to recruit and also inform the recruitment team of the type of player he wants to bring in. They will do the rest. 

It may well be that Martin Foyle will have a long list of potential recruits to present to our new man.

15 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know for sure but would assume that the manager would identify positions for which we need to recruit and also inform the recruitment team of the type of player he wants to bring in. They will do the rest. 

It may well be that Martin Foyle will have a long list of potential recruits to present to our new man.

That would be my understanding.....

20 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Can hardly contain my excitement 

35 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't necessarily think it's one or the other. I suspect players are suggested to the manager but managers will also have players that they feel are suitable. Obvious example would be that Robinson worked with Dunne at Oldham...