2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

We were definitely after Irvine at one point. 

If we hadn't changed manager I'm sure we would have a couple of new faces already, but I imagine we cancelled any deals we had close when robbo left, since Alexander may have different priorities, or different ideas as to who to sign to address them. The players we had lined up may also have changed their mind due to the manager change. 

You'd think that the St Mirren game would be enough to highlight the obvious needs, but I'm going to guess that we're a week away from seeing any movement. 

Like it or not, it's probably a zero sum game. No one will be added to the wage bill until someone is removed from it. Archer out, Kelly in. As it stands only Lang has left, giving us whatever our contribution to his wages was to spend. I suspect Dunne's wages will be freed up shortly. 

Beyond that, we will have to move people on. Hastie back to Rangers? Maybe. We have (like them or not) four central defenders on first team wages. All very well saying that we need to bring in a centre half but we need to balance the books. Unlike Baraclough, Alexander doesn't have a Les Hutchison to bankroll a January spree. 

Looking at the squad, Grimshaw isn't everyone's cup of tea but in the short term, could O'Donnell's wages be spent better elsewhere in the team? Would his leaving be a better option for us? Question there would also be how far Donnelly is from returning as it offers an option in a few positions. 

Clearly the squad needs freshened up but I reckon we'll see departures before we see arrivals..

As above I’m sure if Robinson had still been in charge those players identified would have already signed, we obviously then had to go back to square one when he resigned. I would rather we took a little longer now in order to bring in the right players rather than rush signings. Let’s be honest it’s highly likely we are going to lose against Rangers so it’s the Aberdeen game we should be looking at.

55 minutes ago, weeyin said:

In his interview earlier this week he said he didn't think he'd have anyone new in by the Rangers game.

I'm not sure we can compete with Hibs on the wage front. They have much more cash to splash around than we do.

hopefully heez pally with gerrard and bite his ear on sunday to se if as YODO suggested he could loan us the covid 2 ( jones and edmunson )  probably one of his better ideas , then jones can cross the ball for jordan white to score with headers :danced:

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Like it or not, it's probably a zero sum game. No one will be added to the wage bill until someone is removed from it. Archer out, Kelly in. As it stands only Lang has left, giving us whatever our contribution to his wages was to spend. I suspect Dunne's wages will be freed up shortly. 

Beyond that, we will have to move people on. Hastie back to Rangers? Maybe. We have (like them or not) four central defenders on first team wages. All very well saying that we need to bring in a centre half but we need to balance the books. Unlike Baraclough, Alexander doesn't have a Les Hutchison to bankroll a January spree. 

Looking at the squad, Grimshaw isn't everyone's cup of tea but in the short term, could O'Donnell's wages be spent better elsewhere in the team? Would his leaving be a better option for us? Question there would also be how far Donnelly is from returning as it offers an option in a few positions. 

Clearly the squad needs freshened up but I reckon we'll see departures before we see arrivals..

We would certainly save some cash  if O’Donnell left and Grimshaw could probably still do the job. As you say Donnelly returning gives some flexibility and we now have Carroll back. We need another centre half regardless, along with a striker these are the main priorities. I certainly don’t think we need half a dozen players when everyone is fit, the squad is better than some are making out.

10 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We would certainly save some cash  if O’Donnell left and Grimshaw could probably still do the job. As you say Donnelly returning gives some flexibility and we now have Carroll back. We need another centre half regardless, along with a striker these are the main priorities. I certainly don’t think we need half a dozen players when everyone is fit, the squad is better than some are making out.

a centre half - standard of Tom Aldred
a striker - standard of Moult
a winger - mmm.... trying to think of a recent winger who was decent

Yes, we were looking at Irvine a few years ago. Hibs however have a lot more cash to spend than we do. That said Lang's departure will have freed a wage up. Irvine was the type of player we could use in central midfield. Not everyone's Cup of tea though. Tall, streetwise, energetic, very mobile and physical with a mean streak. When Ross County beat us in Dingwall in our play off season he was a one man wrecking squad lashing out at anything in C & A. Ref never caught him once. He seemed to cover every inch of the park that day.

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

a centre half - standard of Tom Aldred
a striker - standard of Moult
a winger - mmm.... trying to think of a recent winger who was decent

The way things are a centre half standard of Louis Laing, a striker standard of Ryan Bowman and a winger the standard of Elliot Frear would improve us...

• Haha 2

Question. Why the hell do we have to move out players to bring someone in? Absolutely no question that there’s a lot of dross that will be amongst the most forgettable players to ever wear claret and amber (and can leave) however we must have budget. We’re in a relegation scrap and have clearly generated “huge” Amounts (relative)  in the past year with a squad that must cost less than last year (unless Lamie and Mcginleys agents’ have been able to bring in the same salary as Tait and Hartley). There will be insurance packages In place for long term injuries such as Dunne and Fox with minimal club contribution. 
Maybe not expecting players this week but we need players and we need players of quality. We need to back the manager (whether he’s my choice or not, doesn’t matter for now). 
I’m sorry to sound like a broken record however the silence from the board, other than a welcome to Alexander, is deafening.

3 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Question. Why the hell do we have to move out players to bring someone in? 

Someone had asked Alan Burrows after the arrival of Alexander if any signings were imminent. He did mention funds were available to get new faces in but obviously the needed time to identify what he needed.

It would be great to be able to move on a few players who have not been performing well but I can't see many accepting a mutual termination in this climate unless they have something concrete lined up elsewhere.

With the lower leagues being suspended I wonder if the club will be cautious in recruiting new players, saying that apparently teams were adding covid clauses.

Robinson had players identified and due to sign...Robinson  left.

Our new manager has literally had 5 or 6 days to familiarise himself with his squad, his budget, current players contracts. I'd rather he took his time and got in exactly what we need for games such as Aberdeen and Ross County rather than diving in for a game we are unlikely to win against Rangers anyway. 

• Like 3

Imagine how bad he must have been not even to get Manzinga, Blyth, Illic or Petravicius style appearances :lol:

To be fair to McGhee if he decided someone was shite that was that. Brian McLean, Corrigan, Mensing and BLyth all got frozen out. Robinson would gave him 10 or 15 sub appearances to proved himself.

We don't know the impact of covid on our finances, so that could be one reason for not spending. Then we have the extra goalies that we've had to pay for. The other could be that it would be problematic to abandon our existing structure.

However, until we get the folk in the door it's hard to judge what were spending.

6 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

We don't know the impact of covid on our finances, so that could be one reason for not spending. Then we have the extra goalies that we've had to pay for. The other could be that it would be problematic to abandon our existing structure.

However, until we get the folk in the door it's hard to judge what were spending.

Certainly not in detail. What we do know is that we have had player sales exceeding 10 out of 12 in The league, in the past 12 months. Healthy season ticket sales, European prize money in excess of 1 million euro and prize money for finishing 7 places ahead of last seasons budget. On top of that, continued merchandise sales and a limited amount from streaming. 
The existing structure will Mean nothing  in the championship. The fact of the matter is the league could be called early again on average points, therefore we need to inject quality quickly to put as many points on the board as soon as possible. 

• Like 1