2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

51 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

Personally, I'd be looking for short-term fixes for now. Major squad restructuring can take place in the summer

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tend to agree. I would imagine incomings are more likely to be loans until the summer unless a real bargain appears. 
We actually have one of the biggest squads in the Top flight with 29 players. No one has a bigger squad in fact. However when you start to break it down.  5 Goalkeepers !! Dunne, Donnelly, Crawford and a host of young lads it is a little misleading. That said all 5 goalies will be on a wage ! 

I have a feeling O Donnell will be off and I also suspect someone may put in a speculative bid for Gallacher at some point in the window. I suspect the Rangers game may act as an audition for a few players as it is on Sky and high profile.

It would also be good if we could move on a couple of underachievers. So all told we could be looking at half a dozen players leaving inc Lang who has gone back to Wigan already. So we could be looking at bringing in half a dozen to replace what has left. 

Then again we may have the same squad as now with only a couple of additions. Important window all the same more so if we have to play the 2 games v Kilmarnock and St Mirren !!

15 hours ago, Kmac said:

Question. Why the hell do we have to move out players to bring someone in? Absolutely no question that there’s a lot of dross that will be amongst the most forgettable players to ever wear claret and amber (and can leave) however we must have budget. We’re in a relegation scrap and have clearly generated “huge” Amounts (relative)  in the past year with a squad that must cost less than last year (unless Lamie and Mcginleys agents’ have been able to bring in the same salary as Tait and Hartley). There will be insurance packages In place for long term injuries such as Dunne and Fox with minimal club contribution. 
Maybe not expecting players this week but we need players and we need players of quality. We need to back the manager (whether he’s my choice or not, doesn’t matter for now). 
I’m sorry to sound like a broken record however the silence from the board, other than a welcome to Alexander, is deafening.

The silence from the board is deafening? They moved quickly to get a manager in place, the manager is, and rightly so, taking a few days to figure out what he needs and what he doesn't, the recruitment in the summer is being scrutinised quite heavily, we can't afford to get it wrong again. What do you expect from the board?  We always keep our recruitment fairly closed to our chest, we are very fortunate that we have Burrows who is upfront with supports over twitter so have a rough idea when a signing is imminent. 

I seem to disagree with most things you say, it's not intentional, honestly......luxury of football though, it creates good debates and rarely do two people agree.

saying that I do agree that we need players, and quality ones at that which is why I am fine with taking a wee bit more time with the recruitment, they probably see Rangers as a bit of a free hit this week, you wonder if it was Killie or St johnstone we would move slightly quicker to get people on board?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

The silence from the board is deafening? They moved quickly to get a manager in place, the manager is, and rightly so, taking a few days to figure out what he needs and what he doesn't, the recruitment in the summer is being scrutinised quite heavily, we can't afford to get it wrong again. What do you expect from the board?  We always keep our recruitment fairly closed to our chest, we are very fortunate that we have Burrows who is upfront with supports over twitter so have a rough idea when a signing is imminent.

Probably more to do with frustration....

We all recognise we are in the mire. More so if we do not get the 6 points on Thursday or whenever as is likely in my opinion. 

We have addressed the vacant Manager position promptly enough. But when you see your rivals strengthening I get why some fans are concerned at lack of signing news.  TRUTH is Alexander will need to establish for himself who needs to stay who needs to go. What positions need strengthened and what is possible with the funds or budget available.

He joined less than a week ago. Hopefully by the end of this week he will have sat down with most of the players to understand their wishes around staying or going and their motivation to improve. 

I have faith that we will see a fair bit of movement from next week onwards. 

• Like 1

The squad is nowhere near as bad as some have made out. Carroll and Donnelly (hopefully back soon) are like 2 new signings. I suspect we'll get 2-3 new faces in at most this window, and likely on short term loans as others have mooted.

I think I'd have bigger concerns about GA turning things around if he went out and signed 6 or 7 new players, as that would suggest he isn't capable of getting the few extra percent out of a largely capable but underachieving squad. I'd also be concerned if we started throwing money around during what has always been an inflated January market. Aye, we've done well in revenue terms recently but that money is ringfenced for new training infrastructure and stadium maintenance/improvements surely? I'd be pretty raging actually if we started eating into that, as I suspect those wheels will be put into motion in the next 12 months once fans are back at games. 

I'd like to think that the board interviewed potential new managers thinking "who is the best man to turn this around" and not "who is the best man to turn this around if we give him a few hundred grand to spend on new signings". You could say that our squad overachieved last season but it is certainly underachieving this season, I have faith that GA will get things right without any major surgery this window and we'll finish clear of the bottom.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I seem to disagree with most things you say, it's not intentional, honestly......luxury of football though, it creates good debates and rarely do two people agree.

saying that I do agree that we need players, and quality ones at that which is why I am fine with taking a wee bit more time with the recruitment, they probably see Rangers as a bit of a free hit this week, you wonder if it was Killie or St johnstone we would move slightly quicker to get people on board?

It's fine not to agree. 

No secret that I have been highly disappointed by the lack of information from the board in the past 12 months. There have been some significant events taking place (like two of our largest transfer fees). If Burrows likes to communicate with fans via twitter, fair enough, but it isn't the only medium that should be used and certainly isn't conducive to a clear narrative. 

I have said before that whilst the running and operating mechanism from the club is in its current state, communication is key. For all of the reasons that I have gone though 100 times on this forum, we need to be open about strategy towards the fans and society which is currently backing the club. 

On the park success is paramount for myself and probably 80% of other fans (over player sales etc.) - it's why we endure all of the shite served up over the years - in the hope of the odd good moment. 

I understand it's a tough time for the club, but it's also a tough time for fans and I don't believe that the club is doing enough to be clear about what that exactly is (In terms of investment). I didn't expect the club to sign 5 starters this week (as much as I think we need it), but I would have expected Burrows or someone else to come out publicly and tell the fans and supporters that they are backing the manager to the degree required to get ourselves out of the mess we are in and that a small proportion of all of the extra income generated in the past 12 months will be used for that purpose. 

26 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

I think Weeyin got in just in time. The BBC reporting that Lafferty has agreed to terminate his contract at Reggina.

Cue the 'but he could do a job' posts.

The truth is he would be an upgrade on most of the alleged strike force we have at the moment  watt excepted so 1st to admit he probably could do a job :nod:

18 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

First rumour, Harry Smith, striker from Northampton, via P&B

Apparently us and county in for him. 

Already a reply on Twitter offering to drive him up here, so that tracks. 

Tbf Cambridge said the same about Jake Carroll and many other players the same just clicks for some players so I don’t take too much to what other fans say.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

First rumour, Harry Smith, striker from Northampton, via P&B

Apparently us and county in for him. 

Already a reply on Twitter offering to drive him up here, so that tracks. 

6'5" so if hes crap as a forward we could always play him at CH.

6 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Great that the first rumour is an experienced player with proven pedigree. Exactly what we need. 

I think we need to trust Alexandra here. He’s got plenty of experience down south and has done well so can’t be that bad a judge of players.