2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

2 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Oh come on.  Someone has been at worst been a steady player in the top flight for more than half a decade and who hit double figures in his last season in the top flight isn't "piss poor".

It’s not the player we need. We’re crying out for a centre half, central midfielder and a striker of real quality. Lawless is none of those things. 

Its not awe inspiring. The guy was sent packing as he wasnt good enough for the team we had at that time. He has spent the time since at lesser teams than us.

Saying that, look at how he has done. Hes not flashy , hes dependable and im pretty sure he is more reliable and a better signing than Hilton or Seedorf.

Hes not a guy blessed with lightning pace, dreadlocks, and loud boots which we all get excited about every season, but maybe he is the right guy for what we need to help dig us out of the hole we are in right now.......

Just now, Kmac said:

It’s not the player we need. We’re crying out for a centre half, central midfielder and a striker of real quality. Lawless is none of those things. 

And who is to say we won't bring in a player for those positions?  There is more than a fortnight of the transfer window remaining. Because it is the first outfield signing of the window, doesn't mean it will be the only outfield signing of the window.

What signing Lawless do is immediately is better what we have out wide and add to our options. For one thing we now someone who is capable and comfortable wide rather than shoving a striker out wide.  That he has been seen to offer a goalscoring threat over the years as well as creativity is a further benefit. 

This in turn will release either Cole or Watt to play up front where they should be more effective, whether that's one or as a pairing than either or being stuck out wide.

I can't see given the paucity of chances created in recent times why an attempt to improve on what we have would be perceived so negatively.

36 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

And there you have it.....welcome to Motherwell Steven. 

We are effectively rebuilding squad for next season from now and this whilst not spectacular is a very decent signing. That plus he is reliable and hard working enough to help get us away from bottom 2 spots in the league for this season. 

Sanctimonious. This is the deal Robinson had nearly ‘over the line’. Let that sink in...

11 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

This is the deal Robinson had nearly ‘over the line’. Let that sink in...

From what you say, and you're almost always spot on, I assume this deal has been in the pipeline for some time and so I wonder just how much influence Graham Alexander has had in bringing it to a conclusion?

Ok. We're obviously in no position to buy anyone currently playing at a top club, so if you want someone who's had a career near the top, you're almost certainly left with 2 options: guys who are now past it, or 'problem' players, and I doubt now's the time to take that gamble.

The ideal signing is a Tommy Coyne, but how often does that happen for any team?

No worldbeater but better than seedorf, hylton et al.

May be a sign that Alexander recognises flaw that almost all of Robinson's signings had in common that they

1 are not comfortable on ball

2 cant pass

3 cant shoot Lawless can do all 3.

Not as fast or athletic as Cole but I know which one I would prefer.

Lawless was very impressive for Livi last season and up there with Dykes as a player they did not want to lose. He caused us a ton of problems at their place, they were gutted to lose him. I can’t see this as anything other than a very decent signing.

• Thanks 1

Watt, although he's never been prolific, and Cole will get us more goals if played centrally. Neither currently get the opportunity as they're being played out wide due to the fact that our current wingers are absolutely pish. 

Lawless is a decent player at the low to mid table end of the league, which is exactly where we're at. I can see him coming in and doing a job to help us out of trouble, and then being a bench option after Alexander gets a summer window and a chance to really put his own stamp on the squad. 

Perhaps not a marquee signing, but a pragmatic one which we know for definite is an improvement on what we currently have. Tbh, another couple of a similar nature, with a proven record of competence and workrate at this level to dig us out of the shit we're currently in, rather than gambling on the unknown would do me fine. 

This window is simply about steadying the ship and staying up. No glitz or glamour required, just guys who you know will dig in and fight, not sand dancers with multi coloured boots who will disappear when the going gets tough. Lawless fits that bill. 

Its not a "sexy" signing. But Lawless is better than Hastie & Seedorf combined so he automatically strengthens our squad. 

Quite happy with this signing. I was dissappointed we never got him in the summer. Was fantastic for Livvy last season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Its not a "sexy" signing. But Lawless is better than Hastie & Seedorf combined so he automatically strengthens our squad. 

Quite happy with this signing. I was dissappointed we never got him in the summer. Was fantastic for Livvy last season

Spot on.

• Like 1