2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

They say you should never Return to an old club . Didn't fancy him first time around seen no reason to bring him back ,did anyone  ever think watching him playing with other teams I wish he was back at FP ?

Aye You are right enough. Last season when he scored 11 and had 9 assists even tho the season was cut short, I do remember thinking "I like him, but why would we want to sign a goalscoring, multiple assists a season winger when we have Seedorf & Hylton"

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Yodo said:

They say you should never Return to an old club . Didn't fancy him first time around seen no reason to bring him back ,did anyone  ever think watching him playing with other teams I wish he was back at FP ?

no - point well made. I look at most of our first team and have the same thought. Depends if he's better than what we have.

Coming back is fine if you are an uncle Phil, Lasley, Faddy,  Hammell , Craigan but if you didn't cut it first time around it's hard to expect significant change. 

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

no - point well made. I look at most of our first team and have the same thought. Depends if he's better than what we have.

Coming back is fine if you are an uncle Phil, Lasley, Faddy,  Hammell , Craigan but if you didn't cut it first time around it's hard to expect significant change. 

Outside of The Old Firm, Aberdeen & Hibs, Lawless would walk into every other team in the league. He is match fit, having appeared 16 times this season (ok most as sub I believe) and is a solid, experienced pro with a proven track record, and is better than what we currently have at the club. That is as good as we will ever manage in a January window

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Sanctimonious. This is the deal Robinson had nearly ‘over the line’. Let that sink in...

So what ! 

I am basing my comments on my belief he will be a good addition to the squad. That and it is even more annoying to see comments effectively writing off a player before he is even a few minutes in the door. That will always annoy me. 

You don’t like it .....fine by me. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

The "didn't cut it last time" chat is a bit misleading. How many players need to take a step down as a young player to then make the step back up again? The captain of the national team springs to mind.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Yodo said:

A certain Stephen Craigan left us for Partick Thistle came back after a few years and went on to be a not bad player and Captain for us

Some work out some don’t we’ll just have to wait and see how it pans out. 
Not a bad signing IMO 

When he left, Lawless couldn't get a first team start. However, the players ahead of him were Murphy, Humphrey (and Omar Daley) in a team that finished 3rd in the league.

It also seems to need pointed out every January that for any team - but moreso for a team our size - the best players aren't available. Contracts don't end until the summer, so the only available players are those that are being ditched for some reason other than being wildly successful.

The never return/not good enough the first time chat is a mile off imo. 

At the time he was a young lad trying to break through in a team vying for 3rd place, and the rewards that would bring, and which featured some very good, established senior players in his position. No manager would unsettle their starting 11 unnecessarily in that position to blood a youngster. Game time for him was always going to be limited in that scenario, so he rightly moved elsewhere that he would be a first pick. 

I'm not saying for a minute that he's as good now as those players he was playing second fiddle to back then, but our team and the league in general has regressed in quality over the intervening years. At our level, at this moment in time it is a decent, and I would assume low cost deal. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, couttsy said:

No strong opinion either way but pretty uninspiring whatever way you look at it.....

Yes, uninspiring is the word I would use. I hope it turns out to be a master stroke. Just not excited by it at this point. 

We know what we're getting here, and it just happens to be something we need. I'm not particularly enthused with our livi obsession, or that we've went ahead with a Robinson signing, but on own merits this is a fairly decent signing.

We will make more signings, and we're running out of ex Livingston players, so maybe the next one will be more exciting. 

6 hours ago, Yodo said:

I remember every time we played Partick Thistle or Livingston he put in very good performances, either scored or provided an assist and was generally one of the better players on the park.

Did I wish he was back at Fir Park? Probably not. But he is a proven and consistent SPL level player who should be good for a minimum 6/10 performance every week. 

Not the flashiest, most inspiring signing we will ever make, but the boy will do a job.