2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

a decent loan signing from the premiership/ championship  is reasonable ambition - a few years ago now but the likes of Jutkiewicz came without a strong track record but the step down to SPL really worked for him.  Suspect there must be a few young players in that category at the moment - particularly without reserve football.

7 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

That would have to be some budget, maybe half a million for someone you think could really do a job. 150k gets you someone you could still not guarantee would work out. Celtic have spent millions on players that have not even made the first team.

I'm talking about a loan or free agent.

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

I'm not expecting a prolific striker to come in but somebody who has a decent enough record would be nice,taking a gamble on someone that rarely scores in the lower english leagues will be a big risk but finances will probably mean that's what we do,we definitely need a bit of luck this transfer window.

Whits your problem Cole is 2 goals in 2 games no to bad 

41 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Given how many times we've been burned bringing in strikers with strings of low numbers in their history, I don't think concern over stats like 19 goals in 4.5 years in unreasonable.

Did he start every game in those 4.5 years? Was he injured at any time?  Was he being kept out by a better player? So unless you know the full story stats are meaningless. 

Can't believe that we are dismissing a player not even at the club that 99.9% of Motherwell fans have never seen play or know anything about. 

If he ever signs judge him on how he performs for us not  his previous clubs.

51 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

a decent loan signing from the premiership/ championship  is reasonable ambition - a few years ago now but the likes of Jutkiewicz came without a strong track record but the step down to SPL really worked for him.  Suspect there must be a few young players in that category at the moment - particularly without reserve football.

That’s the market we should be looking in for now. We also got Kipre and Ruddy that way if I’m correct. 

I’ve seen and heard enough from GA to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what we need and where to find it. His knowledge of players in the English lower leagues and how they would fit into whatever system he wants to use is far greater than anyone on here so I trust him to get the right fit for us.

• Like 1

Decided to go back and have a look at our strikers since the mighty King Louie arrived at Fir Park. 

24 in total.

10 never scored a league goal: - Jordan White, George Newell, Connor Sammon, Ross McCormack, Alex Fisher, Jacob Blyth, Craig Moore, Dylan Mackin, David Clarkson and Theo Robinson.

3 managed to score 1 league goal:- Ross McIver, Christy Mazinga, Wes Fletcher

The rest as follows;

LESS THAN 20 STARTS

James McFadden - 2+6 (2) starts per goal 1.00

Danny Johnson - 12+10 (6) starts per goal 2.00

Nadir Ciftci - 8+3 (3) starts per goal 2.66

Tony Watt - 19+5 (4) starts per goal 4.75

MORE THAN 20 STARTS

Louis Moult - 77+7 (38) starts per goal 2.02

Devante Cole - 20+10 (7) starts per goal 2.85

Scott McDonald - 68+4 (19) starts per goal 3.57*

Chris Long - 29+10 (8) starts per goal 3.62

Ryan Bowman - 41+31 (10) starts per goal 4.10

James Scott - 21+15 (4) starts per goal 5.25*

Curtis Main - 44+3 (8) starts per goal 5.50

* not always played as a forward.

32 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Decided to go back and have a look at our strikers since the mighty King Louie arrived at Fir Park. 

24 in total.

10 never scored a league goal: - Jordan White, George Newell, Connor Sammon, Ross McCormack, Alex Fisher, Jacob Blyth, Craig Moore, Dylan Mackin, David Clarkson and Theo Robinson.

The rest as follows;

LESS THAN 20 STARTS

MORE THAN 20 STARTS

really interesting stats - Cole doing much better than I'd have given him credit.
Also frustrating with Long.  Lots of potential but this season there's clearly been issues. 

46 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

24 in total.

The rest as follows;

LESS THAN 20 STARTS

MORE THAN 20 STARTS

Craig Moore never scored a league goal?

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

24 in total.

The rest as follows;

LESS THAN 20 STARTS

MORE THAN 20 STARTS

Interesting list it must be said and some of it makes for painful reading.

However one thing - at least half of that list has played the same positions James Scott did. Not sure why you’ve highlighted him as different to the rest?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19018246.dundee-utd-want-motherwell-scotland-defender-declan-gallagher-amid-celtic-english-champ-links/

SPORT2 hrs ago
Dundee Utd want Motherwell and Scotland defender Declan Gallagher amid Celtic and English Champ links

Exclusive by Mark Hendry  @mhendry92
Sports Writer
Dundee Utd want Motherwell and Scotland defender Declan Gallagher amid Celtic and English Champ links
EXCLUSIVE

Dundee United hope to sign Motherwell and Scotland defender Declan Gallagher.

The stopper is out of contract this summer but is just a handful of appearances away from triggering an automatic extension at Fir Park.

United, though, would love to add the international to their ranks and Herald and Times Sport understands they would hope to make him one of their highest paid players to entice him to move.

There could, as is understood, be more financial benefits to Gallagher which sees United's deal a significant one.

For any transfer to be done this month, United would have to pay a fee. But it is believed they would be willing to sort a pre-contract for the player.

Gallagher, 29, has been linked with Celtic in recent weeks with the struggling champions needing cover at centre-half following Christopher Jullien's knee injury.

It is also understood Aberdeen are keen on a move for Gallagher and there is serious interest down south from the likes of QPR and Cardiff.

New Motherwell boss Graham Alexander recently hinted he wants to keep Gallagher at the club but claimed he had not yet managed to discuss new deals with players since joining.

If this automatic extension clause is accurate then I am confused as to how anyone could make Gallacher a pre contract offer as it is likely to be triggered next few weeks and means he would be with us until summer 2022. 

It also means that he is outside the reach of any teams in our league bar Celtic and Rangers. So he is either going down south, heading to Parkhead or staying with us. 

As OTF mentions interesting that clubs can pay staff off, ask for them to take pay cuts or deferrals and keep adding to their squads. Hibs adding Cadden and Irvine an obvious example. Dundee United are already paying very good money to Shankland and McNulty etc...

46 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

If this automatic extension clause is accurate then I am confused as to how anyone could make Gallacher a pre contract offer as it is likely to be triggered next few weeks and means he would be with us until summer 2022. 

It also means that he is outside the reach of any teams in our league bar Celtic and Rangers. So he is either going down south, heading to Parkhead or staying with us. 

As OTF mentions interesting that clubs can pay staff off, ask for them to take pay cuts or deferrals and keep adding to their squads. Hibs adding Cadden and Irvine an obvious example. Dundee United are already paying very good money to Shankland and McNulty etc...

Never mind Cadden and Irvine, Hibs payed off a lot of staff in the summer and paid 200k for Nisbet, i'm not sure how that sort of stuff works, and i'm sure Hibs could argue he was an investstment who will make them a few million quid soon enough. The same obviously couldn't be said for Gallagher going to Utd given his age but as fans, what do we know.

Gallagher situation is an interesting one, so he is three games away from triggering the extension (+/-1) so ideally we want him to trigger the extension, what would happen if he signed a pre today for example, does that null and void the clause in his contract?

I don't think for a second Gallagher would be unprofessional, he has to much on the line with the euros coming up.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I'm guessing the clause is invalid if he signs a pre-contract before it is triggered? Hence his agent flashing the panties at every opportunity right now.

I wouldn't think so.

If he does have this clause then a pre contract would be a non starter and someone would have to stump up cash to take him this window. I don't think it would be a huge amount (about £150k maybe although I'm pulling that out my arse) but enough to let us invest in a replacement.

Thats why the agent is so desperate to get a move now, as if he doesn't he's not getting a penny til summer 2022.

19 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Danny Johnson is a league 2 player who couldn't cut it at us or Dundee. I liked him, but the scottish game didn't. 

I too liked him, and think he was unfortunate with us in that he didn't suit the system we were playing at the time.

The tongue-in-cheek point I was making is that while some are discussing the strike rates of Smith and Rooney and how 1 in 5 isn't going to get us out of the quagmire etc, we let go of Johnson who has scored almost as many goals this season as Harry Smith has in his entire career while playing at a similar level. I'm not suggesting that we try and re-sign him, or that if he were still here that he'd be the solution (he might've been), but I don't think it's fair to judge any new/potential signings on what they have done before. You can use statistics to tell whatever story you like...

8 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

I'm guessing the clause is invalid if he signs a pre-contract before it is triggered? Hence his agent flashing the panties at every opportunity right now.

I asked the question of what happens with a pre-contract a few weeks ago when the clause was first mentioned. To my understanding, when a player signs a pre-contract, they're saying "I agree to sign this contract, at a later date". Any clause in his current contract, unless worded to say that it's nullified should he sign a pre-contract elsewhere, would surely trump any agreed future signing of a contract?