2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

12 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I wouldn't think so.

If he does have this clause then a pre contract would be a non starter and someone would have to stump up cash to take him this window. I don't think it would be a huge amount (about £150k maybe although I'm pulling that out my arse) but enough to let us invest in a replacement.

Thats why the agent is so desperate to get a move now, as if he doesn't he's not getting a penny til summer 2022.

Depends on the nature of the clause. If he can sign a pre contract and he leaves this window it would have to be £250k+ to even make it worth our while. One of our best players leaving when we are in a fight for survival that could have implications of many £millions should we go down. 

If the extension is likely to be triggered and we have a Scotland International (starter) for a further 1.5 years then despite his age 29/30 he would be worth £750k+ to us, £2m were he at Hibs and £5m were he at Celtic !!

For all his faults, which are mainly down to his body language and facial expressions, which I don't have a problem with, Chris Long scored 13 goals in 31 appearances for us last season, that's a goal every 2.38 games, i'd be very interested to see what Alexander can do with him, get him fit, put an arm around him and we could do much much worse, I was pleased when he signed on again, got some turn of pace on him and for some reason I was always confident of him finishing. If he scored up at Ross county first day of the season, things could have much different, he, like most strikers are confidence players.

He looks as though he is a player who just need's an arm around him and a bit of belief, change of manager could do him the world of good.

I loved his goal at hearts, and the second away to Dundee in the cup. A player with plenty of ability, already on the books who maybe shouldn't be written off just yet?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

For all his faults, which are mainly down to his body language and facial expressions, which I don't have a problem with, Chris Long scored 13 goals in 31 appearances for us last season, that's a goal every 2.38 games, i'd be very interested to see what Alexander can do with him, get him fit, put an arm around him and we could do much much worse, I was pleased when he signed on again, got some turn of pace on him and for some reason I was always confident of him finishing. If he scored up at Ross county first day of the season, things could have much different, he, like most strikers are confidence players.

He looks as though he is a player who just need's an arm around him and a bit of belief, change of manager could do him the world of good.

I loved his goal at hearts, and the second away to Dundee in the cup. A player with plenty of ability, already on the books who maybe shouldn't be written off just yet?

I'm with you on this.

He's a centre forward and regularly got placed on the wing - a total waste of time. 

I'd be ok with a last chance effort (if his attitude is right) 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Agree completely 

I think we have got 2 good strikers if we would only play them where they should be played.

I think Robinson got fixated with a front 3 all interchanging and was just to stubborn too admit defeat with it, which eventually cost him his job.

Cole played through the middle in his last 2 games and has scored in each of them (even when he was here last season he was never played as the out and out striker)

As someone said earlier goal scoring is a confidence thing and playing strikers on the wing is one way to knock the confidence right out of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

I wouldn't think so.

If he does have this clause then a pre contract would be a non starter and someone would have to stump up cash to take him this window. I don't think it would be a huge amount (about £150k maybe although I'm pulling that out my arse) but enough to let us invest in a replacement.

The pre contract agreement would be ripped up.

As for a fee, how much is he worth to us in our battle to stay up? £300,00 +?  Whatever the figure, if any potential buyer doesn't meet that figure then he stays.

If a move seems likely in the summer and the extension clause is triggered, then I'm sure we could come to some agreement to benefit both parties, as we've done in the past with the likes of Scott MacDonald.

2 hours ago, Stu92 said:

I asked the question of what happens with a pre-contract a few weeks ago when the clause was first mentioned. To my understanding, when a player signs a pre-contract, they're saying "I agree to sign this contract, at a later date". Any clause in his current contract, unless worded to say that it's nullified should he sign a pre-contract elsewhere, would surely trump any agreed future signing of a contract? 

Yeah thats what I'd assume - some wording in his current contract to state that. Its too obvious a scenario for it to have been missed by lawyers, agents etc. No idea though, just guessing.

Re long, I have thought for a while that he is our best goalscoring option up front if we can get him interested and back to the form of pre covid... looks like he's out injured just now though according to the official site - return date TBC.

Definitely 1 and possibly 2 signings this week. Fingers crossed. I assume 1 will be a striker however like above I agree regarding Long however if he doesn’t want to be here and continues in his huff then so be it, however with a new manager and arm round him some new found confidence with him up front with Cole and Watt battling for places and potentially 1 more. I wouldn’t be adverse to seeing us go 442.

I’m maybe in the minority here but don’t think we need another striker. Cole and Long will score goals at this level, and Watt will contribute through goals as well as assists. There’s three strikers that I’d argue walk into most SPL sides, certainly those around us in the league. Unless White were to leave, any new additions start making our squad quite top-heavy.

We really need midfield reinforcements. I stand by the sentiment that Donnelly will be like a new signing once fit again. If we were to sign a replacement for Polworth, or at least someone in that creative mould to provide competition, I’d be fairly happy. A new defender would be a nice to have, if not only to cover ourselves for when O’Donnell/Gallagher leave, but don’t think it’s necessarily critical given how we defended on Sunday with just one week of GA training in the bank.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

I’m maybe in the minority here but don’t think we need another striker. Cole and Long will score goals at this level, and Watt will contribute through goals as well as assists. There’s three strikers that I’d argue walk into most SPL sides, certainly those around us in the league. Unless White were to leave, any new additions start making our squad quite top-heavy.

We really need midfield reinforcements. I stand by the sentiment that Donnelly will be like a new signing once fit again. If we were to sign a replacement for Polworth, or at least someone in that creative mould to provide competition, I’d be fairly happy. A new defender would be a nice to have, if not only to cover ourselves for when O’Donnell/Gallagher leave, but don’t think it’s necessarily critical given how we defended on Sunday with just one week of GA training in the bank.

I’d agree with the “not really needing a striker” part also actually unless it’s someone of supreme quality obviously.

I always remember Stevie Naismith taking about Chris Long as they were at Everton at the same time, saying Long was tipped to be a first team regular in a few seasons and was really thought of as a top prospect. 

So clearly there's the ability there  he just hasn't been able to sort his head out. He showed glimpses last season but not enough of it. If he turns it on for the next 6 months to get a move back down south then fine, as long as we get performances until May out of him.

24 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Clearly stated it was since Louis Moult joined the club.

Obviously not clearly enough though.

In fairness to Craig Moore he was unlikely to score a league goal after Moult's arrival given that he didn't play a single game for Motherwell after Moult's arrival.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its all very well having talented strikers but can they play together? We do lack a quality main striker. Often you can have good players but the mix is wrong. I assume that if we sign a striker that one will leave. 

The best performance I have seen from us this season was our 3 - 0 win at Pittodrie. That day we played Watt and Long as a front 2.

I'm also in the camp that thinks Long can do a job, but we really do need to play him through the middle (with a striking partner). Trying to play him out wide is a complete waste.

• Like 1

something  going on with Long that we're not privy to. .

He's been missing from the squads for quite some time and only now gets added to the website as muscle injury with zero description (quite different from all other injured players).

Suspect he's burned his bridges - which seems a shame as in the central striker role he was pretty decent last season

He was injured then his wife had a baby. I don't think we need to read into it much more. Can't imagine playing up here while his wife was in England expecting a baby was a good idea, even if covid wasn't a thing.  We were his last resort option, and he treated it as such. 

I'm not for trying to salvage that one, it would be better to be shot of him. 

• Like 2

We have had numerous posts here about Long's poor attitude, which have led to calls to have him kicked out the door. It is also reported that he is injured. I'm not knocking anyone for repeating rumours but has there ever been any concrete evidence to suggest Long has no commitment to the club? I agree with recent comments about Cole improving by being played in the middle. Maybe Long's poor performances this season are down to his lack of confidence playing on the wing. I would like to see what he and GA make of one another before making further judgement calls.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

something  going on with Long that we're not privy to. .

He's been missing from the squads for quite some time and only now gets added to the website as muscle injury with zero description (quite different from all other injured players).

Suspect he's burned his bridges - which seems a shame as in the central striker role he was pretty decent last season

its supposed to be a dead leg  ??????

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

its supposed to be a dead leg  ??????

thanks - was conscious that he's not played since early/mid Dec and wasn't entirely clear why he'd gone off the grid.  Someone mentioned a blood clot in his leg + newborn. 

having his family down south and commuting only each week to be either a sub or put out wide would get to the best of us.  

that hat-trick feels like much longer than a year ago 

1 hour ago, gullane said:

We have had numerous posts here about Long's poor attitude, which have led to calls to have him kicked out the door. It is also reported that he is injured. I'm not knocking anyone for repeating rumours but has there ever been any concrete evidence to suggest Long has no commitment to the club? I agree with recent comments about Cole improving by being played in the middle. Maybe Long's poor performances this season are down to his lack of confidence playing on the wing. I would like to see what he and GA make of one another before making further judgement calls.

Well said that man.

You could be right Gullane, Long could be fully committed to the club and is trying his best despite a few injuries.

However, his general demeanour on the park does him no favours. Its not just that he often looks like he'd rather be anywhere else but on the pitch during games, but his petulance hasn't helped at times either. The red card at Hamilton was the one that immediately springs to mind but a few times this season he has also  given away free kicks in dangerous areas due to reckless, unnecessary challenges he has made. Again, these could have been honest attempts to win the ball but were challenges he didn't need to make and just looked like petulance at the time.

For argument sake, not that this is in anyway an argument, who are we as fans to say that he should be cutting about the pitch with a smile on his face. Even last season when he was scoring he rarely had a smile on his face, that doesn't bother me or should bother anyone else in the slightest. Your point about needless fouls is one I get, but you could argue he is just trying to hard to make things happen, which is surely more likely than deliberately giving away a foul. 

45 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

However, his general demeanour on the park does him no favours. Its not just that he often looks like he'd rather be anywhere else but on the pitch during games, but his petulance hasn't helped at times either. The red card at Hamilton was the one that immediately springs to mind but a few times this season he has also  given away free kicks in dangerous areas due to reckless, unnecessary challenges he has made. 

he's defo not the sunny kid in class.   Petulant but then so was Scott McDonald and I was ok with him. 

Will be interesting to see what happens next