2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

Tony Watt has been accused of giving less than 100% in the past and he’s the most smiley individual you will ever see in a player. I think Long suffered from frustration and that leads to him sometimes jumping in when he should hold back. I’m not convinced he’s not interested, he could however still be unhappy at the situation.

• Like 1

I didn't want Long to come back tbh he just seems to be when everything isn't going his way he is like can't be arsed.I also think he thought his stock was higher than it was after a decent season with us,nobody wanted him hence why he came back thats what it looked like to me.

Campbell needs to be cashed in on aswell if we can  he doesn't look like anything we have saw in previous seasons think its ran its course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I didn't want Long to come back tbh he just seems to be when everything isn't going his way he is like can't be arsed.I also think he thought his stock was higher than it was after a decent season with us,nobody wanted him hence why he came back thats what it looked like to me.

Campbell needs to be cashed in on aswell if we can  he doesn't look like anything we have saw in previous seasons think its ran its course.

I agree that Campbell has not been anywhere good enough for a while but don’t think I’m ready to give up on him. 
We have played 5 at the back and 3 up front under Robinson which left our midfield under resourced. It’s the area I’d like to see Alexander sort out the most.  Fixing the midfield so that we protect the defence and create good chances is a priority. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/exclusive-declan-gallagher-set-fir-23341573

Exclusive: Declan Gallagher set for Motherwell stay ahead of potential Euros windfall

Celtic and Dundee United have been linked to the 'Well captain but unless a significant offer arrives this month he's set to remain at Fir Park

Declan Gallagher looks set to remain at Motherwell until the end of the season unless a significant bid is received in January.

The Fir Park side are set to land a lucrative windfall if the defender represents Scotland in the Euros this summer and it is likely to require a considerable six-figure bid for Motherwell to entertain offers in this month's transfer window.

Clubs receive payment from UEFA for their players’ participation in international tournaments and it’s believed that figure is in the region of £8,000 per day.

UEFA has an agreement with the European Club Association that results in a minimum €130m being split between clubs releasing players for this summer's Euros.

‘Well boss Graham Alexander is set to have a meeting with Gallagher about his future but he insisted his focus is on helping the club climb the table after the 1-1 draw with Rangers on Sunday.

Gallagher told Lanarkshire Live Sport: “There’s been nothing at all yet. At the end of the day, I’m sure we will speak at one point but I’m just focused on Motherwell just now.

“Whatever happens with my future happens but I’m just concentrating on getting Motherwell up the league.”

The 29 year-old defender is out of contract this summer although it’s understood that Gallagher will trigger an automatic extension when he reaches 25 league appearances - in three games time.

Reports suggesting that Gallagher has been reluctant to trigger this clause appear to be inaccurate with the Scotland international displaying admirable professionalism despite the rumours.

Gallagher put the team first when asked about his contract situation on Sunday, adding: “I‘d rather not talk about that right now because I don’t want to make it about me.

“I want to make it about the boys because they were absolutely excellent. It would be unfair of me to take any headlines about something in my contract.”

In previous weeks, the 6’4” defender has been linked with moves to Celtic and clubs in England.

Yesterday, reports emerged that Dundee United were set to offer Gallagher - who lives in the city - a contract making him their highest paid player but those rumours have been downplayed.

Motherwell became the first team since September to avoid defeat against Rangers in the league after drawing at Fir Park on Sunday.

Gallagher drew praise from Alexander for his defensive performance alongside Bevis Mugabi and Motherwell looked much improved since the 3-0 defeat to Hamilton.

After that defeat in the Lanarkshire derby, Gallagher insisted there were ‘too many little boys’ in the ‘Well squad.

But after two impressive performances under Alexander, is that starting to change?

“I think so,” he said. “When a new manager comes in, it makes boys think that they have to put the effort in. Some of them might have been thinking they were playing in second gear with the old manager.

"With a fresh face around, boys will have to start looking at themselves in the mirror.”

Interesting read, maybe it's just a sign of supporting Motherwell but wasn't aware that we made money from our players playing at a tournament. Also positive that he is saying the right things in terms of focusing on Motherwell, even if his agent is allegedly saying otherwise behind the scenes.

With regards Long's demeanour, it reminds me of Roy Keane's postman analogy. His job is to score goals and help us win games (which he has done when played in his position), not look happy.

Alan Campbell has played a lot of football in the last 3.5 years (160 games including international games) which is pretty wild for a 22 year old. He's going to have periods where he goes off the boil, that's just how it goes. 

He'll come good again, that said I think he'll move in in the summer as someone will pay the development fee for him. He's earned the chance to earn more than we can pay him so good luck to him.

6 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Alan Campbell has played a lot of football in the last 3.5 years (160 games including international games) which is pretty wild for a 22 year old. He's going to have periods where he goes off the boil, that's just how it goes. 

He'll come good again, that said I think he'll move in in the summer as someone will pay the development fee for him. He's earned the chance to earn more than we can pay him so good luck to him.

Yes, hes done well for us until recently and deserves his move, so long as he stays focused on us until then. 

29 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

Interesting read, maybe it's just a sign of supporting Motherwell but wasn't aware that we made money from our players playing at a tournament. Also positive that he is saying the right things in terms of focusing on Motherwell, even if his agent is allegedly saying otherwise behind the scenes.

With regards Long's demeanour, it reminds me of Roy Keane's postman analogy. His job is to score goals and help us win games (which he has done when played in his position), not look happy.

Yeah I pointed that out as a potential reason why we should be keeping him and let him stay until the end of the season and that way both parties are happy we get a small sum and he gets his big move.

3 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Think it would be in both parties interest if he moved now. 
The club would get more than the development fee.

Alan would hopefully rediscover his form which as others have said has dipped of late.

The boy owes us nothing and if and when he moves on he should go with all our best wishes

42 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Think it would be in both parties interest if he moved now. 
The club would get more than the development fee.

Alan would hopefully rediscover his form which as others have said has dipped of late.

The boy owes us nothing and if and when he moves on he should go with all our best wishes

agree , he's been excellent over the years.

Personally I'd like to keep him until the end of the season, his extra bit of of bite in midfield could keep us up and that's worth a few bucks, 

54 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

agree , he's been excellent over the years.

Personally I'd like to keep him until the end of the season, his extra bit of of bite in midfield could keep us up and that's worth a few bucks, 

He has been fairly anonymous these past few weeks. You know he is on the pitch but he has not been anywhere near his best, where has been bossing midfield as well as being a decent goal threat. 

Even the best players suffer dip in form but with wee Al it does not tend to last long before has a MOM performance. Maybe he has been overplayed this season. But he is one of the fittest around. Definitely off the boil during our poor run. 

But I would not be letting him go unless there was a premium paid in his development fee. Otherwise we are as well waiting for the summer to come and he hopefully goes with our best wishes.

10 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Even the best players suffer dip in form but with wee Al it does not tend to last long before has a MOM performance. Maybe he has been overplayed this season. But he is one of the fittest around. Definitely off the boil during our poor run. 

Was he not on a similar slump earlier on in the season, before absolutely dominating in the 3-0 Pittodrie game?

On 1/18/2021 at 9:59 AM, C&A not the shop said:

I wouldn't think so.

If he does have this clause then a pre contract would be a non starter and someone would have to stump up cash to take him this window. I don't think it would be a huge amount (about £150k maybe although I'm pulling that out my arse) but enough to let us invest in a replacement.

Thats why the agent is so desperate to get a move now, as if he doesn't he's not getting a penny til summer 2022.

Anything and everything the agent does is with his clients express permission. If he's being shopped around it's because Gallagher wants to be shopped around.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:38 AM, C&A not the shop said:

He had 5 months off in the summer there and the rest doesn't seem to have done him good. 

I do like Alan Campbell, because he normally  always gives 100 percent, but his one drawback is he is not quick enough. Any one watching the last few games, he gets caught in possession, they catch him if he tries to run with the ball, and he needs too much time. 

I would like him to get a big move, and a bigger pay deal, but I really don't see it happening.

47 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I do like Alan Campbell, because he normally  always gives 100 percent, but his one drawback is he is not quick enough. Any one watching the last few games, he gets caught in possession, they catch him if he tries to run with the ball, and he needs too much time. 

I would like him to get a big move, and a bigger pay deal, but I really don't see it happening.

Aye there was a couple of occasions on Sunday where he was up against Aribo and it was a complete mismatch. 

57 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

suspect a bottom half of English Champ would be his ceiling.   

I think Campbell is overrated by quite a lot of people both inside and outside of Motherwell. He's a good player for our level and maybe one or two steps up but he's never going to go significantly higher than that as a scrappy midfielder that isn't particularly tall, fast, strong or technically gifted who also regularly goes missing for weeks at a time.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Yassin said:

I think Campbell is overrated by quite a lot of people both inside and outside of Motherwell. He's a good player for our level and maybe one or two steps up but he's never going to go significantly higher than that as a scrappy midfielder that isn't particularly tall, fast, strong or technically gifted who also regularly goes missing for weeks at a time.

Talking down our talent then complaining about low transfer fees. The Motherwell way.

He's probably about 4 or 5 years away from his peak, but like Cadden, people forget he's still young because he's played a lot of games.

I've no idea how much further he'll develop, but I do remember he used to keep John McGinn quiet every time we played Hibs. Whatever happened to him?

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Talking down our talent then complaining about low transfer fees. The Motherwell way.

He's probably about 4 or 5 years away from his peak, but like Cadden, people forget he's still young because he's played a lot of games.

I've no idea how much further he'll develop, but I do remember he used to keep John McGinn quiet every time we played Hibs. Whatever happened to him?

Campbell could actually take a leaf out of McGinn's book. The summer before he moved to Villa he met wi Lennon in May, just as the season was ending and asked him what he needed to do to get to the next level. Lennon told him he needed to be even fitter & stronger so when everyone else was headed off to Malia n Ibiza , he was at home with a personal trainer he'd hired. When pre season started he was the fittest in the squad and by the time the season started he'd bulked up so much nobody in training could take the ball off him and he bullied everyone.

Campbell is never gonna be fast or dominating, but a little more speed and maybe bit more strength may be all he needs to step up another level or two