2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

39 minutes ago, Yassin said:

I think Campbell is overrated by quite a lot of people both inside and outside of Motherwell. He's a good player for our level and maybe one or two steps up but he's never going to go significantly higher than that as a scrappy midfielder that isn't particularly tall, fast, strong or technically gifted who also regularly goes missing for weeks at a time.

Would agree largely with this. I always wonder what Campbell brings to the position he plays. An advance midfield role where he isn’t that guy to find the pass. Isn’t particularly a great striker of the ball from distance (I know there’s a few exceptions to that). Campbell is a spoiler and grafter, I always seen his natural position would be a defensive midfielder who’d sit in front of the defence to mop things up. But when played in that position it’s not naturally his best and it hasn’t really worked. 

That being said, the start of the season he was by far our best player. Just on sheer effort alone. But I often wonder if the team would benefit from a more natural attacking midfielder played in his position? After years of watching him I still don’t really know what would be his best position? Feels like it’s a natural parting of ways that’ll happen fairly soon. Been a terrific servant for the club. But will inevitably end up at Aberdeen/ Hibs or Dundee United before long. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Talking down our talent then complaining about low transfer fees. The Motherwell way.

:lol: I've called him a good player for our level and didn't mention transfer fees anywhere in the post but aye, go off.

I don't think there's any shame in being a decent Scottish Premiership player/ potentially Championship or League One down south. He's just patently not at the level of guys like Brown/Armstrong/McGinn/Turnbull who were tearing it up every week for smaller sides and were clearly going on to much better things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

So what signings in the last decade have inspired  you? 

very few tbh. McFadden the first time he came back was probably about as exciting as it got but with players like McManus you knew you were getting some sort of pedigree. However, I have made on secret on here that I largely disagree with the signing policy at the club. 

Reading the comments from GA on the official site it seems he's brought in to make up the numbers  a bit.

"We need a squad with different attributes and skillsets, and Harry is a player who will fit in with our squad very well.

“I’m sure over the course of the rest of the season, he will make a significant contribution to our results"

Which makes sense as Watt and Cole are certainly our 2 first choice strikers.

37 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Delighted on the Carroll extension, he will hopefully only get better. Can we maybe give a Harry Smith a chance, other clubs were obviously interested so he must have something about him.

Will give Harry Smith a chance.   As with Carroll I am probably in minority but cant say I have been overly impressed but tell you what is better than the alternatives,   hopefully he can step up and prove me wrong  ..COYW

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Will give Harry Smith a chance.   As with Carroll I am probably in minority but cant say I have been overly impressed but tell you what is better than the alternatives,   hopefully he can step up and prove me wrong  ..COYW

I agree Carroll has done nothing so far that makes me think hes up to much. however now hes injury free time will tell.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I agree Carroll has done nothing so far that makes me think hes up to much. however now hes injury free time will tell.

Cheers  pal,  yep I am certainly not slating Carroll,  believe you me he is better than Ruby Murray,  Joe Chalmers,  Angol, Tony Straker.   I just dont get the hype but willing to give him time,   wee free kick goal on Saturday Jake....nae pressure

Carroll is fine, and a good bit of business to keep him. My motherwell supporting life has been blessed with some great left backs, with Boyd, Hammell, and McKinnon in there. Carroll isn't any of those, but he's not Straker, Hendrie or ATS either. 

Who knows with Harry Smith, doesn't seem to be prolific, but maybe he's one of these big guys who actually uses his height to his advantage. 

Glad to see us looking at a striker hopefully can come in and get some goals looks like he might be a bit of a target man which we need. We need to try and get a winger now so we can start seedorf hastie and then swap them if it’s not working. Hopefully means a little less of Watt 

5 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Carroll is fine, and a good bit of business to keep him. My motherwell supporting life has been blessed with some great left backs, with Boyd, Hammell, and McKinnon in there. Carroll isn't any of those, but he's not Straker, Hendrie or ATS either. 

Who knows with Harry Smith, doesn't seem to be prolific, but maybe he's one of these big guys who actually uses his height to his advantage. 

Ahhhh Rob McKinnon....my all time favourite left back,   was immense

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

very few tbh. McFadden the first time he came back was probably about as exciting as it got but with players like McManus you knew you were getting some sort of pedigree. However, I have made on secret on here that I largely disagree with the signing policy at the club. 

Picking up seasoned pros when the Old Firm were done with them served us well, McAdam, Patterson, Russell, Cooper etc. Changed days though, all you'll get off them now are kids or guys who've hung about for years without making the breakthrough. 

We can't afford any proven guys who aren't ready for the glue factory from teams at our level and loanees from the Premiership or Championship will probably end up in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen, if they even come up here.

Unfortunately, just about every signing we make will be 'uninspiring'. You can only hope one or two turn out to be pleasantly surprising. 

• Like 1

Got to love this site....or not.

We sign a new player that is relatively unknown.  Immediately he is uninspiring or just plain sh1te.

We get a decent left back on an extended contract. Underwhelming...has done nothing to impress me.

F*ck me. I am glad I don’t come on this site to be cheered up. There is a high % of posters that are just miserable all the time.

Time for a sabbatical from this site. I cannot say I will miss it. 

• Like 3