2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

4 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I don't think there's a player in that squad that I'm fussed about losing. Maybe O'Donnell will be one of those players where you realize what you're missing once he's gone, but I feel like we can probably replace him for cheaper and not experience much of a drop off. 

I got the impression that SOD signed on for buttons with the offer of a proper contract if he extended to the summer.

36 minutes ago, milo said:

Signing guys that can’t get a game for Livingston or St Mirren?!

Speaking of which I'm sure Crawford is another player who's deal ends on Sunday.  It's going to be an interesting five days. Hopefully we have a few irons in the fire. 

In regards to Foley it seems he is in a similar mould to O'Hara in that he can fill in both midfield and defence. 

I could see the guy from St Mirren actually being a decent signing. He was their player of the season and most supporters don’t have a bad word to say about him. I would think the Covid lay-off may have effected him but you don’t go from player of the season to past it in six months, the guy is 34 not 44, there are plenty of players at that stage still playing in the English Premier league.

If we're not looking for him to play 90 minutes every game then it could be a good deal. Someone with experience battling it out at the foot of the table, a voice in the dressing room and on the pitch.

We've a lot of football to play in February so just getting bodies in is important, especially ones with a bit of versatility.

20 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

If we're not looking for him to play 90 minutes every game then it could be a good deal. Someone with experience battling it out at the foot of the table, a voice in the dressing room and on the pitch.

We've a lot of football to play in February so just getting bodies in is important, especially ones with a bit of versatility.

I think people also need to be realistic in their expectations. It’s the January window and we won’t be signing stand out players from other Premiership clubs. There are probably a good eight teams in our division all looking at the same type of players at the moment, that’s just the way it is. It’s either this type of player at our level, someone at Championship level who looks promising and that won’t even be easy, or the lower leagues down south.

At first glance a 34 year old cast off from St Mirren isn't a great look on several levels.  From the question marks from some about Martin Foyle to the budget being made available to the manager.  It's a proposed signing that hardly fits in with the buy low, sell high ethos and you might argue if, as has been mooted, he's being signed for his attitude and character as much as his ability then that's perhaps an admission that allowing two such thirty-somethings who brought exactly that to walk out the door last summer has been proven to be wrong - or at least the failure to replicate those characteristics in the replacements

For all that though, I know absolutely nothing of him.  I don't really care where they come from or what age they are.  If this guy can do a job and improve on what we have in the short to medium term and isn't going to break the bank, then regardless of the look I'm not going to overly upset.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, milo said:

Signing guys that can’t get a game for Livingston or St Mirren?!

What level of player do you really think we should be signing then it's the January transfer window ffs mid season, players who are regular starters for their teams, scoring lots of goals,  and playing  well  tend not to be available.

This window is about stabilising the team in some key positions  by bringing in experienced players to get us back to winning ways, the full rebuild will be during the summer, when GA can put his own stamp on the team. 

Don't know a lot about Foley but by all accounts he is a decent player and to be fair somebody with experience of playing for teams at the wrong end of the league in avoiding relegation is what we need right now.

We certainly need some playmaker in midfield, because Polworth has been shocking this season , and to my mind that has been our biggest weakness. IE: virtually no support to the forward resulting in low goal count, so if Foley can improve this situation, I'm up for giving it a go.

30 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

What level of player do you really think we should be signing then it's the January transfer window ffs mid season, players who are regular starters for their teams, scoring lots of goals,  and playing  well  tend not to be available.

This window is about stabilising the team in some key positions  by bringing in experienced players to get us back to winning ways, the full rebuild will be during the summer, when GA can put his own stamp on the team. 

Don't know a lot about Foley but by all accounts he is a decent player and to be fair somebody with experience of playing for teams at the wrong end of the league in avoiding relegation is what we need right now.

Far too sensible a post for this place 

• Like 1

In games v us last year I was impressed by him and was shocked when I looked him up and saw his age as I hadn't heard of him before. He imo is better than any of our midfield based on last years games v us and that includes campbell. He passes the ball tackles and as shown v us scores . For whatever reason he is out st mirren team but he cant just suddenly have went pish. Maybe a fall out? Who knows but we desperately need midfielders

The fact there is actually a discussion surrounding whether is makes sense to sign Foley already answers the question that he is not. 

There is a case for saying he is in the "could do a job" category, but that's really not the situation we find ourselves in.