2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

https://footballleaguefc.com/category/player-wages/spfl-player-wages/amp/

This was posted in P&B on Ross County thread. Not sure how accurate but makes for very interesting reading. 

Would make OHara our highest paid player yet still on less than (almost) 3 times what Hastie is on at Rangers. 

At 1st glance Hamilton and Livingston stick out as lowest budgets as few of their players are on more than £1000 per week. Makes what Livi are achieving all the more remarkable. 

We're crying out for leadership on the pitch, if this guy can use his experience to provide it then it might improve the performances of those around him.

Reading the transfer talk on here reminds me of that Groucho Marx comment about refusing to join any Club that would have him as a member. We have fans who wouldn't want to sign any player who would be willing to play for us.

• Haha 1

I'm not sure about the "leadership on the pitch" chat.  It's rolled out with  "divisions in the changing room" chat any time a team is struggling to find form.

First time I saw us relegated Joe Wark was the captain. I doubt we were lacking leadership on the pitch then. Likewise, more recently, when we were in the playoffs against Rangers. McManus and Skippy weren't exactly poor leaders.

I'd much rather we just started scoring some goals.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I'm not sure about the "leadership on the pitch" chat.  It's rolled out with  "divisions in the changing room" chat any time a team is struggling to find form.

First time I saw us relegated Joe Wark was the captain. I doubt we were lacking leadership on the pitch then. Likewise, more recently, when we were in the playoffs against Rangers. McManus and Skippy weren't exactly poor leaders.

I'd much rather we just started scoring some goals.

Agree with this for the most part however a bit more experience can't be a bad thing, average age in our squad is extremely young, only Carson and Chapman 30 plus. I doubt he would be brought into play every week however having that bit of experience even on the bench could be crucial to being more streetwise going into the last 20-30 minutes of a game, especially against the teams we are up against who know that sort of stuff inside out. 

might not be the most inspired signing (not that you are suggesting either way) however it could prove a very shrewd signing.

5 hours ago, Andy_P said:

At first glance a 34 year old cast off from St Mirren isn't a great look on several levels.  From the question marks from some about Martin Foyle to the budget being made available to the manager.  It's a proposed signing that hardly fits in with the buy low, sell high ethos and you might argue if, as has been mooted, he's being signed for his attitude and character as much as his ability then that's perhaps an admission that allowing two such thirty-somethings who brought exactly that to walk out the door last summer has been proven to be wrong - or at least the failure to replicate those characteristics in the replacements

For all that though, I know absolutely nothing of him.  I don't really care where they come from or what age they are.  If this guy can do a job and improve on what we have in the short to medium term and isn't going to break the bank, then regardless of the look I'm not going to overly upset.

Don’t know about Tait,but Robbo said in recent interview that Hartley moved for “ life changing money” , so impossible to keep someone when you’re up against that.

7 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Don’t know about Tait,but Robbo said in recent interview that Hartley moved for “ life changing money” , so impossible to keep someone when you’re up against that.

Aye there is some silly money in the Indian league. Hence why so many of our pro's and managers are heading out there.

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

This was posted in P&B on Ross County thread. Not sure how accurate but makes for very interesting reading. 

Would make OHara our highest paid player yet still on less than (almost) 3 times what Hastie is on at Rangers. 

At 1st glance Hamilton and Livingston stick out as lowest budgets as few of their players are on more than £1000 per week. Makes what Livi are achieving all the more remarkable. 

Well Ricki Lamie and Jordan White aren’t both on 1k+ per week that’s fact. Neither is Dunne his wage relatively very low as he’s not exactly been playing and wasn’t expected to so his is very much on reduced terms. So aye a wouldn’t believe every single one you see there, some will no doubt be about roughly correct though. 

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Robinson is clearly covering his arse there since we never offered Hartley a contract. 

4 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I have no idea how true these figures are but....

if Long, Seedorf, White, Lamie, Chapman, Polworth and Grimshaw are earning the same or up to 50% more no wonder Allan Campbell looks 'jaded'.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Given that it says staff costs are £4m but the player wages only come to £1.5m I think we can safely it's pish. 

We would need to have another 50 employees earning an average of nearly 50 grand a week. 

I dont think its far off the mark. I remember McCall with his usual bemoaning the budget cuts at the tail end of his tenure and specifically remember him saying his first team budget was less than £1.6m and getting cut further. And Im almost sure I remember Robbo mentioning £1.6m a couple years ago, cause it was around the time Scott Sinclair was rumoured to be on £30k at Crltic and I was thinking it was insane we had a squad of 22 guys for what Celtic were paying him

We are known to pay high bonuses but a lower base so I think those weekly wage figures wont be far off the mark at all. 

11 hours ago, Shaka said:

I dont think its far off the mark. I remember McCall with his usual bemoaning the budget cuts at the tail end of his tenure and specifically remember him saying his first team budget was less than £1.6m and getting cut further. And Im almost sure I remember Robbo mentioning £1.6m a couple years ago, cause it was around the time Scott Sinclair was rumoured to be on £30k at Crltic and I was thinking it was insane we had a squad of 22 guys for what Celtic were paying him

We are known to pay high bonuses but a lower base so I think those weekly wage figures wont be far off the mark at all. 

If we are paying more than the £28,000 a week total listed there for the first team every single week then it's miles off the mark.

And if players wages are less than 50% of staff costs then there are big questions about how the club is being run.