2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

Ross County also interested in Foley. They seem to be signing everyone in sight just now - not for the first time.  I suspect that we've paid up part of White's contract if he's only signed with County until the end of the season. Still, good bit of business for us getting a player off the books who didn't fit in, and gives him a fresh start.

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Ross County also interested in Foley. They seem to be signing everyone in sight just now - not for the first time.  I suspect that we've paid up part of White's contract if he's only signed with County until the end of the season. Still, good bit of business for us getting a player off the books who didn't fit in, and gives him a fresh start.

I would imagine location wise we would be in a good position to sign Foley over county. 

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

I would imagine location wise we would be in a good position to sign Foley over county. 

I'm not sure that is necessarily true. The teams in the north of the country tend to pay more to attract players who might otherwise be happy to remain in the central belt. Got a friend who, when I asked why he didn't pick up a team closer to home,  told me that when he dropped down into the seaside leagues, he got more money playing for the Angus and Northern based clubs.

I feel a bit for White, it was a step up for him to come here and I remember watching his interviews when he arrived and he said how desperate he was to make it at this level. It's a shame for him it didn't work out but he still has a chance with County. He seems like a decent guy.

From a football POV however I'm glad he's away, he just wasn't very good. Smith already seems like a step up.

10 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I feel a bit for White, it was a step up for him to come here and I remember watching his interviews when he arrived and he said how desperate he was to make it at this level. It's a shame for him it didn't work out but he still has a chance with County. He seems like a decent guy.

From a football POV however I'm glad he's away, he just wasn't very good. Smith already seems like a step up.

I don't harbour any ill will towards White. I mind that interview and fair fucks to him for giving it a crack. Sadly he just was not good enough for this level. 

White's Mrs having a bit of a dig on Twitter about the club. Essentially we never gave him a fair crack of the whip and made him lose his smile something to that effect. Good luck to the guy, he was a tad unfortunate with his goals against Dundee United and Hibs being ruled out but he certainly lacked the quality required for this level. 

I sometimes wonder if either of his two disallowed goals had counted, whether that could have made difference to White's Motherwell career. Maybe not, but there came a point where he started playing like a guy who knew he was wearing the number 9 shirt and hadn't scored yet. Maybe it would have been the worst thing to have happened and we'd have persevered with a guy that wasn't good enough longer. Feels a bit like Alex Fisher all over again....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I sometimes wonder if either of his two disallowed goals had counted, whether that could have made difference to White's Motherwell career. Maybe not, but there came a point where he started playing like a guy who knew he was wearing the number 9 shirt and hadn't scored yet. Maybe it would have been the worst thing to have happened and we'd have persevered with a guy that wasn't good enough longer. Feels a bit like Alex Fisher all over again....

Goals make all the difference to forwards...the one at Hibs was disallowed incorrectly.....the Arabs game I thought he just out muscled the defender, only 3 starts and we were unbeaten in two off them, then was off the park when we lost the late goal against Accies, he spent most of the time on the park as a late sub chasing games with another 10 players trying to get that elusive equaliser we never managed till last night. 

Did he get a fair crack in a very poor/ mediocre Well team ??? .......Immaterial now he’s gone

Just heard he’s getting better money at RC

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Fluking a couple of goals would not have made him a better player. He could have grabbed a hat trick in his first half hour and he would still have been a cart horse. His stats in general play are horrible.

I can only think he was signed as a Plan B to bring on and lump high balls at when we needed a goal. While I'm all for giving players time to bed in, they need to show something when they get game time, and like most people on here, I just didn't see that with White.

2 hours ago, Kat said:

White's Mrs having a bit of a dig on Twitter about the club. Essentially we never gave him a fair crack of the whip and made him lose his smile something to that effect. Good luck to the guy, he was a tad unfortunate with his goals against Dundee United and Hibs being ruled out but he certainly lacked the quality required for this level. 

Shes been all over FB as well saying much the same and getting into spats with fans. Not a good read.

7 minutes ago, santheman said:

Shes been all over FB as well saying much the same and getting into spats with fans. Not a good read.

That's kinda embarrassing for the lad.

If I was completely shite at a job I was paid (relatively) handsomely for and effectively ended up getting my jotters, I think the last think I would be wanting is my misses causing unnecessary kerfuffles all over social media highlighting how hard done by I had been, thereby inviting all and sundry to bombard her (and by extension, me) with further proof of just how shite I'd been at said job.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

• Like 1