2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

27 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I think the Celtic players may be a little more pissed off with Neil Lennon's comments to the national press yesterday rather than anything an opposition player has maybe, or not, alluded to on the telly.

Lennon admits he is at a loss over how to arrest Celtic's slump. And, asked if the players were letting him down, the former Celtic captain said: "Honestly, at this minute I think yes, they are. And they have done for quite a while this season.

Aye, they're imploding, so leave them to it. Our only concern is the points. 

43 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

In the case of Robinson, he's chosen to turn up everywhere talking about his time at the club. If he wants to talk about staff who are still at the club, that's up to him, but do you doubt for a second this is all being said to suit his own agenda?

As for current players going on telly to give opinions on teams, players and managers they're due to face, it's gonnae be a case of they say nothing, or something, and that something will piss somebody off, whether it's at Motherwell or elsewhere. They want the money, that's the trade off.

I think if I was out if work and had the chance to promote myself I’d be doing it, don’t blame him at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Yorkyred said:

I think if I was out if work and had the chance to promote myself I’d be doing it, don’t blame him at all.

I don't blame him for talking himself up, if he's on about cup finals, 3rd place, Europe. But he's getting into stuff regarding players and the club that's purely designed to deflect any hint of criticism from himself. I've heard more about the inner workings of Motherwell from him in the past 7 days than I have from the last 7 managers combined. You're ok with that, I'm not, and I'm reasonably sure there will be folk at the club who would rather he'd keep certain stuff to himself, at least for more than a month.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I don't blame him for talking himself up, if he's on about cup finals, 3rd place, Europe. But he's getting into stuff regarding players and the club that's purely designed to deflect any hint of criticism from himself. I've heard more about the inner workings of Motherwell from him in the past 7 days than I have from the last 7 managers combined. You're ok with that, I'm not, and I'm reasonably sure there will be folk at the club who would rather he'd keep certain stuff to himself, at least for more than a month.

To be honest I’ve not even listened to it. He’s gone now so I’m really just concentrating on our new management team and the support they need. Robinson did ok for us and I doubt he’s said anything  that’s going to cause the club any actual damage. As above I find people concentrate too much on these things and do tend to twist things at times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

To be honest I’ve not even listened to it. He’s gone now so I’m really just concentrating on our new management team and the support they need. Robinson did ok for us and I doubt he’s said anything  that’s going to cause the club any actual damage. As above I find people concentrate too much on these things and do tend to twist things at times.

If you listened to it you would be able to give an honest opinion on what he said. Probably still be different from mine, but that's what makes horse races.

25 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

what " inner workings"....again bit exaggerated ...he didn't reveal any bank pin codes or owt

I enjoyed both interviews, but time to let it go

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

what " inner workings"....again bit exaggerated ...he didn't reveal any bank pin codes or owt

I enjoyed both interviews, but time to let it go

Aye, time to let it go. He's had his say, so I assume we'll be hearing no more about our playing staff from him and we'll all live happily ever after.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree in principle but picking young Scottish lower league players is a gamble.  Just look at Faisal El Bakhtaoui for example.

And conversely,  we've had players like Craig Moore, Bob McHugh and Dom Thomas who couldn't quite break through to the Premiership, but thrived in the lower leagues. It can be very fine margins, and difficult to identify exactly who will make it.

15 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Indeed. A point I've also made to some of their support in conversation over our last couple of meetings. They're the first to whine about lack of competition domestically when they get papped out. However present them with the challenge of having to  break down a team who are holding the lead and they squeal like pigs because you aren't set up in a manner that let's them steamroller you. 

Not only that, but whenever a proposal is made (such as more equal payments in the league) that would lead to stronger competition, Celtic are always against it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

If you listened to it you would be able to give an honest opinion on what he said. Probably still be different from mine, but that's what makes horse races.

Ok I’ve had a listen. Honest interview, clearly still cares about the club, yes he sells himself to a degree ( not a problem for me). Has a lot of good things to say about Motherwell FC  and for me it’s all good. Can’t really see how anyone could take offence in truth.

• Like 1

For those deafened by the silence

Flow on Twitter: "We are looking / hoping to be doing more business by Monday night. This has, and I am sure most clubs would agree, been the most difficult window to recruit, perhaps ever, but we’re working hard. If we can get players who will improve what we have, we’ll try and bring them in."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, santheman said:

Just drove past Fir Park and its deserted except for some guy washing his car so nothing happening today by the looks of it

Not sure that even means anything these days, would hope they've realised that most business doesn't have to be done in person by now.

1 minute ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Don’t be silly. They will be welcomed warmly and given every opportunity to impress before a bad word is spoken....

Signings.....plural !

45 minutes is all you need to make a sound judgement.

25 minutes ago, numpty said:

Not sure that even means anything these days, would hope they've realised that most business doesn't have to be done in person by now.

As perhaps illustrated by the new manager himself remarking that his interview was undertaken by video call.

40 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

As perhaps illustrated by the new manager himself remarking that his interview was undertaken by video call.

We’re not doing any interviews in person, it’s all by video. It’s certainly not ideal but given the way the world is just now it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We’re not doing any interviews in person, it’s all by video. It’s certainly not ideal but given the way the world is just now it makes sense.

That's just the way of the world right now...been working from home since March last year, Microsoft Teams'd out ma box!!

Wouldn't expect the club to be functioning any differently to pretty much any other business these days with regards to the "business-y" part of running a football club.

It loses the personal touch in meetings, but the plus side is you can very easily switch off and sneak a sqwatch at Steelmen Online when your meeting loses your interest...normally after the first ten minutes!