2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

I actually feel pretty confident looking at what others around us have done in the window that we will stay up and finish about 7th or 8th brought in a few bodies as cover more than anything the real work shall be in the summer when more than half shall leave happy a keeper was brought in that was a must.

Onwards and upwards.

I agree with most people on here that it’s been a decent window. The key was not to loose Campbell, Declan and SOD. 

Most of the guys signed are there to provide competition to give the first team players a kick up the arse.

Also we need to factor in Covid as it surely will have made this a very difficult window. Greg Stewart for example has stayed at Rangers and no doubt that’s to hold onto a decent wage for a few more months and then move in the summer when things are a bit more back to normal. A year ago he would probably have moved to get game time.

Right now players want stability with family life and moving club in the heart of winter in a lockdown is probably not what they want to be doing.

• Like 2

It is always difficult to sign players of high quality given our budget relative to most of our competitors. It is always difficult to get rid of our poorer/underperforming players. It is even more difficult to do either during January. The ongoing pandemic probably doesn’t make things any easier. But aye, let’s just say that our dealings this window have been due to a lack of ambition or willingness to push the boat out. 

I know close to nothing about the players we’ve signed, and so will reserve judgement. But I do think our squad looks better than it did on 1st January.  There were plenty of games towards the end of the year where we had zero options off the bench, whereas we probably have options to mix is up a bit now. We also have a lot of games coming up in a short period of time, we need numbers to keep it fresh and avoid burn-out/injuries. A Polworth alternative would’ve been nice, but other than that I’ll trust that GA and those running the club have a better handle on things than anyone on this forum. 

53 minutes ago, johnstone said:

I agree with most people on here that it’s been a decent window. The key was not to loose Campbell, Declan and SOD. 

Greg Stewart for example has stayed at Rangers and no doubt that’s to hold onto a decent wage for a few more months and then move in the summer when things are a bit more back to normal. A year ago he would probably have moved to get game time.

Players generally don't take a wage cut to go on loan. 

The Jordan Robert's one is a strange one, seemingly come from out of nowhere and the comments on here only mirror those from the Jambos fans that seem more than happy to be shot of him.

Take Melvin's comments on board, and like most I'm happy to give him a shot and see what he's got in the locker, but on the face of it, it's still significantly underwhelming.

I can only imagine the Eddie Nolan one came from GA's knowledge and experience from lower leagues down south, perhaps recognising he has something that we could do with for the next few months...leadership in defence perhaps?

Either way, I can't imagine the squad of players we have just now will be recognisable to the squad we will be starting the (whatever?!) league next season. 

43 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

It is always difficult to sign players of high quality given our budget relative to most of our competitors. It is always difficult to get rid of our poorer/underperforming players. It is even more difficult to do either during January. The ongoing pandemic probably doesn’t make things any easier. But aye, let’s just say that our dealings this window have been due to a lack of ambition or willingness to push the boat out. 

I know close to nothing about the players we’ve signed, and so will reserve judgement. But I do think our squad looks better than it did on 1st January.  There were plenty of games towards the end of the year where we had zero options off the bench, whereas we probably have options to mix is up a bit now. We also have a lot of games coming up in a short period of time, we need numbers to keep it fresh and avoid burn-out/injuries. A Polworth alternative would’ve been nice, but other than that I’ll trust that GA and those running the club have a better handle on things than anyone on this forum. 

43 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

. A Polworth alternative would’ve been nice, but other than that I’ll trust that GA and those running the club have a better handle on things than anyone on this forum. 

Watt would do a great job/much better job than Polworth in this old number 10 role.  

If we had given crawford a 2yr extension and signed Roberts,  Foley and nolan on 18 month deals then yes I would have been concerned.   However.......these are just short term deals and main thing is we make sure we stay in league and then in summer GA can have complete overhaul and clear out the players he doesn't want.  I also hope more is done to promote youth players but i know that now is not the time.  COYW

Would've been nice to get even one inspiring signing, but good luck to them all. Got to wonder how many of them are gonnae be an immediate option, given their apparent lack of game time this season. Hopefully one or two can provide better options from the bench until they get up to speed.

A thought occurred to me on the financials of the window. If it’s true that clubs get £8K per day for players that are in Euro 2020 squads, then assuming Gallagher and O’Donnell make the squad, then that’s worth roughly £160K to us. Those players staying with us has possibly therefore funded (say) 5 players on 5 month contracts to the end of the season on £1k per week or whatever. Time will tell if those 5 players represent value for money...

4 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

A thought occurred to me on the financials of the window. If it’s true that clubs get £8K per day for players that are in Euro 2020 squads, then assuming Gallagher and O’Donnell make the squad, then that’s worth roughly £160K to us. Those players staying with us has possibly therefore funded (say) 5 players on 5 month contracts to the end of the season on £1k per week or whatever. Time will tell if those 5 players represent value for money...

Do you not think Stephen O'Donnell will have priced that into his contract demands?

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Do you not think Stephen O'Donnell will have priced that into his contract demands?

Maybe some of it, aye, who knows? I’m assuming though that if any bigger teams were seriously in for O'Donnell then they’d have blown us out the water on salary and he’d be gone.... so the fact that that hasn’t happened suggests MFC did have some negotiating leverage. 

I think the basic point I’m making is that the numerous window arrivals don’t necessarily represent ‘spending all the Turnbull money’. 

I sometimes get impression SOD thinks he is better than what he is.  Was out of contract at killie and no offers,  we gave him a chance and I think he has been ok.  Out of contract again and no offers that we know of so signs another deal till end of season.  Not convinced be a lot of takers in the summer unless he has a good euros which of course we all want.   COYW

As Stu says, the last time we made a signing I was genuinely excited about was Ross Mccormack, and we all know how that panned out.

All in all, I would say it is a sensible window. A solid keeper, a reliable winger, Smith looks handy enough, Foley and Nolan add some experience and hopefully some grit to what is a very young squad. Can't say I am a huge fan of Roberts, but that is based purely on what I am hearing from Hearts fans, that said, we have been through this before with Carroll and Aldred so we should know by now to take those kind of comments with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If we had given crawford a 2yr extension and signed Roberts,  Foley and nolan on 18 month deals then yes I would have been concerned.   However.......these are just short term deals and main thing is we make sure we stay in league and then in summer GA can have complete overhaul and clear out the players he doesn't want.  I also hope more is done to promote youth players but i know that now is not the time.  COYW

I agree. The policy of loans and short term contracts make business sense. We have also signed older players with experience. Roberts may not come with the best of reputations but he still has more experience than Hastie and Seedorf combined. How many points have we lost this season for failing to be streetwise, make silly mistakes or close out games. I think Smith, Lawless, Nolan and Foley offer what we have been missing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really dont know what some of our fans are expecting? Who wants to come to Motherwell in the middle of winter during a pandemic to fight relegation for £1k a week? Seriously?

Im not gonna say Im inspired by any of the signings. To be fair, I hadnt heard of most of them. However, we needed to freshen the squad up. We have done that. It remains to be seen whether any of those signed will be any good. However, lets wait and see. They are all short term deals until the end of the season, so the risk to the club is minimal. 

Im just delighted that Deccy, SOD and Campbell are all still here. 

If the mananger can continue to coax performances out of the squad, like the 2nd half  v County, then Im reasonably confident we will stay up. Beyond that its hard to say.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

When was the last time we made an ‘inspiring’ signing? Ross McCormack?

You'd need to ask those in charge exactly what inspired them to bring back an overweight has-been.

Forget 'inspiring', it was a bollocks choice of word. And forget this window, it was always gonnae be difficult to pick any quality up. What depresses me is our inability (or unwillingness) to pick up guys who are on the way up/had decent careers but moving down a step or two/currently in form, or even playing on a regular basis. We're bringing in players who are surplus to requirements at clubs who are at - or below - our level, and players who've wandered around the country, impressing nowhere and hoping for an occasional surprise. Too big a squad, with very limited ability. That's our reality now unless there are some young boys waiting to break through. I don't know enough about our youths to comment on the likelihood of that. 

I'm yelling at clouds, I know that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shaka said:

Nope, Lawless has been a Left Winger his entire career. I believe Partick even tried him at Left Wing Back in a couple games

nope ill disagree with you there Shaka.

yes hes left footed but very much plays on the right to cut inside rather than going outside if playing left wing.

came on against rangers on right also.

11 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I really dont know what some of our fans are expecting? Who wants to come to Motherwell in the middle of winter during a pandemic to fight relegation for £1k a week? Seriously?

Im not gonna say Im inspired by any of the signings. To be fair, I hadnt heard of most of them. However, we needed to freshen the squad up. We have done that. It remains to be seen whether any of those signed will be any good. However, lets wait and see. They are all short term deals until the end of the season, so the risk to the club is minimal. 

Im just delighted that Deccy, SOD and Campbell are all still here. 

If the mananger can continue to coax performances out of the squad, like the 2nd half  v County, then Im reasonably confident we will stay up. Beyond that its hard to say.

Especially during the middle of a pandemic and most guys will be moving up here themselves (if from England) difficult situation but as an overall we are in a far better position and had we had this team at the start of the season we’d be up nearish the top 4. 

I have a small hunch that Roberts will come here and do a job for us, his kind of last chance saloon as hearts clearly don’t rate him and if he gets papped from there he’ll be back to league 2, comes here for 6 months recaptures his previous form of a couple years ago and his career goes up the way.

3 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

nope ill disagree with you there Shaka.

yes hes left footed but very much plays on the right to cut inside rather than going outside if playing left wing.

came on against rangers on right also.

Played wing back for Livi, pretty much played every where for them, there’s no point sticking a winger down as “left winger” or “right winger” as these days they can usually play either it’s how the work in the system. He seems like a player that would easily slot in at both and other positions if need be. 

I see a few sources stated we knocked back a few significant bids for Allan Campbell.

I'm actually pleased with most of the business we have done this window, I remember a few years back we were struggling and all we brought in was Margaro Gomis, despite losing on his debut we went on to be undefeated in 9 games or so. More of that would do nicely.

I would love to know what the deal is with Sam Foley, he was a regular in the St Mirren side and just dropped right out of the squad, Goodwin suggested it was because the team went on a good run of form but looking at the players appearances he was part on that initially.

6 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

It looks to me that GA will build his team after this season and he has only got most of his signings on 6 month contracts!

Absolutely. This underlines our poor signings in the summer. We've been crying out for experience in the squad and we've now got some. Many of our acquisitions are on temporary deals - short term fixes if you like. As you say, GA will be able to rebuild in the summer and stamp his own signature on the squad.