2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

You'd need to ask those in charge exactly what inspired them to bring back an overweight has-been.

Forget 'inspiring', it was a bollocks choice of word. And forget this window, it was always gonnae be difficult to pick any quality up. What depresses me is our inability (or unwillingness) to pick up guys who are on the way up/had decent careers but moving down a step or two/currently in form, or even playing on a regular basis. We're bringing in players who are surplus to requirements at clubs who are at - or below - our level, and players who've wandered around the country, impressing nowhere and hoping for an occasional surprise. Too big a squad, with very limited ability. That's our reality now unless there are some young boys waiting to break through. I don't know enough about our youths to comment on the likelihood of that. 

I'm yelling at clouds, I know that. 

In a perfect world, that would be the way to go. Like I said, I think the recruitment has been sensible, without having anyone jumping with joy, the good thing is most are only on 6 month deals, so there will be BIG changes come the summer you would imagine. 

out of interest, who would you like us to look at ? I am not expecting you to pull 10-15 names out your arse, because well that's the Job of the scouting team.

I have been quite impressed with Kerr Mcinroy at Dunfermline, admittedly having only seen him a handful of times, think he is loan from Celtic and out of contract in the summer. There was also a boy at Raith a few years ago, Kieron Bowie who I think is with Fulham, no idea how he is getting on but he looked a talent.

17 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

In a perfect world, that would be the way to go. Like I said, I think the recruitment has been sensible, without having anyone jumping with joy, the good thing is most are only on 6 month deals, so there will be BIG changes come the summer you would imagine. 

out of interest, who would you like us to look at ? I am not expecting you to pull 10-15 names out your arse, because well that's the Job of the scouting team.

I have been quite impressed with Kerr Mcinroy at Dunfermline, admittedly having only seen him a handful of times, think he is loan from Celtic and out of contract in the summer. There was also a boy at Raith a few years ago, Kieron Bowie who I think is with Fulham, no idea how he is getting on but he looked a talent.

I'll be honest, I don't know who I want us to sign. As you say, there are folk being paid to do that job. I realise how difficult it must be to unearth gems at the best of times, never mind the worst, so I'm willing to cut them plenty of slack. 

It all feels a bit 'never mind the quality, feel the width' to me, so Alexander's approach in the summer will be interesting. I sincerely hope the new - and old - guys do well, cos staying up is all that matters right now.

8 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

as are most clubs.

Are we going to do enough to safely avoid the drop.  I really hope so. 

If we’re talking about improvement relative to other clubs, I’d say we’ve improved more than those closest to us. Accies have signed a striker with 9 games in the championship this season without scoring, while Ross County have sold two of their better players on deadline day and brought in Jordan White. We’ve kept our better players and added experience and depth to a squad that was already performing far below its potential. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Reports in Lancashire before the deadline claimed that Blackburn defender Tyler Magloire was on his way to Fir Park on loan.

BBC suggesting this may be the one we sign today, also said we rejected bids for Campbell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55903921

I thought that we could only sign free agents now? Will be some other left field player I imagine. 

8 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Magloire now confirmed.

A speed merchant, it seems.

Just six days ago, PSG hot-shot Kylian Mbappe clocked in at a ridiculous 10.55 metres per second en route to scoring the first of three goals against former club Monaco to seal the Ligue One title.

Mbappe received the ball on the halfway line and played a one-two with Moussa Diaby. The rapid striker then demonstrated his insane pace to burn, leaving several opposition players for dad before supplying a cool finish.

The acceleration he was able to generate is utterly frightening but you might be surprised to learn that an English defender who only made his first-team debut in March, has clocked in at a faster top speed.

Tyler Magloire, who has been with Blackburn Rovers since the age of nine, boasts a top speed of 10.6 metres per second (38.16 kmph)

4 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

Wow we have so many 1st team players. We could have 3 starting XI's.

Is this to give Lasley and Ross something to do!

Training can now be full thunderdome 11 v 11 matches every day.  Match day squads to be made up of those still standing.

The "substantial bids" chat regarding Campbell is smoke and mirrors I suspect. As a youth academy starlet and his age means that even if he goes for free in the summer as he is out of contract we get a development fee. The base line for that is £400k. Therefore I can only imagine that the bids we received were short of that figure as I'm sure we attach value of having him to May so to get him now, I reckon the club would have been looking at £500-600k as what do we have to gain by letting him go for any less than we're guaranteed?

• Like 2

Signing two centre halves suggests that Alexander has the same opinion of Lamie and McGinley as most of us. 

Looking forward this summer is going to be our biggest rebuild yet. Looking at the squad Watt and Carroll are the only two you would put money starting the first fixture of next season with potentially Lawless and Donnelly joining them. We are going to need a lot of new players. 

6 hours ago, ohwulliewullie said:

A thought occurred to me on the financials of the window. If it’s true that clubs get £8K per day for players that are in Euro 2020 squads, then assuming Gallagher and O’Donnell make the squad, then that’s worth roughly £160K to us. Those players staying with us has possibly therefore funded (say) 5 players on 5 month contracts to the end of the season on £1k per week or whatever. Time will tell if those 5 players represent value for money...

If SOD is out of contract at the end of the season do we get the Euro consolidation money?

Just now, texanwellfan said:

We should have him signed up longer, on the agreement that he can go for free after the euros just to make sure we get the money if there is any forthcoming. 

Do footballers' contracts not normally run to the end of June anyway? i.e. even if he signs for someone else, at the point of the tournament starting he's a Motherwell player?