2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

13 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

I have no idea i did not think anyone of them had played, Lawless played and was reported injured after that brief appearance. Nolan and Foley i have heard nothing about at all. I wondered if Alexander had seen them in training and told them not to bother coming back

Foley came on in the Dundee Utd game. I've no reason to doubt they're injured, but with Nolan in particular, it does raise questions regarding the wisdom of bringing in players who haven't played competitive football - even in the reserves - for a long spell, and might be more likely to pick up injuries.

Actually, just checked - Foley and Nolan are on the official list. Injuries TBC, return TBC.

53 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Yeah all well and good, but I genuinely dont think that the club need to give the fans all of the information we crave...in the old days we got literally fuck all info on the whereabouts of a player other than from teamsheets and when someone signed in or out. We have been pretty open in the recent past with information and maybe GA has come in and put a stop to it.

Clubcall was great in the early 90s for some inside info, cost an arm and a leg to get all the scoops though.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Foley came on in the Dundee Utd game. I've no reason to doubt they're injured, but with Nolan in particular, it does raise questions regarding the wisdom of bringing in players who haven't played competitive football - even in the reserves - for a long spell, and might be more likely to pick up injuries.

Actually, just checked - Foley and Nolan are on the official list. Injuries TBC, return TBC.

Thanks for putting me right, got to agree that signing players that are instantly injured should raise some questions presumably about the training/physo assessments

2 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Thanks for putting me right, got to agree that signing players that are instantly injured should raise some questions presumably about the training/physo assessments

The January window's a hit or a miss for clubs like us. Can't/won't buy and which club's gonnae loan you a player who's doing well for them. At least we're getting a turn out of Magloire and Roberts done quite well last night, so it hasn't been a dead loss after all. Disappointed Foley's out, would've liked to have seen him get a shot.

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

There is a  major difference between speculating on something that is going to happen  in the future and taking about something that has happened.

Speculation is part of a football forum, but a lot of your posts read like you are stating facts or are 'in the know', and that's how those three examples read at the time.

Even when you get asked about sources (Gallagher contract), you use some half-truth to claim you were right. Even though it's clear you cant back up your claim. 

Maybe it's not your intention, but that's how it comes across and I don't think it's a great approach when talking about court cases and child abuse, and to a much lesser extent player contracts. 

Anyway, I'm tuning out on this and going back to my own ill-informed thoughts on the game itself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

I don’t think the club understands a forum’s need to speculate, providing information isn’t part of the contract. The silence should be deafening.

We are so amateurish in some aspects ,to have 3 players we signed in January on an injury list saying TBC is a joke . Are we saying they have been out for weeks but we don’t know what with . Also sure O,Hara is concussion but may be wrong so if so why not say concussion. We seem to have a massive injury list but many are unknown just strange it’s the players who have just been signed that are in that category . 

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

I think most of the "all knowing" are of the opinion that has contract was amended and the clause in question removed so he could play again.

I don't see him starting for us in August. Would love to be wrong though as he's been a great player for us for the most part.

I would imagine if the contract has indeed been changed, then presumably the club have been compensated in some regard to facilitate such a change. I know we do well by players who are injured but a player who has become a full Scotland international on our watch and who might have gleaned some kind of financial return if he was under contrast and attracting interest is somewhat different.

If and when he does go then we milk it for what we can be that in monetary terms or simply to use as another angle that can be used to sell the club to prospective signings.  The parallels of Gallagher and Craig Halkett are there to be seen.  There was barely a peep in comparison about Gallagher when both he and Halkett left Livingston at the same time.  The press was full of how great a capture Hearts had landed. Fast forward a couple of years and Gallagher's a full internationalist, played in the Europa League,  on the verge of playing in the European Championships and we don't even know what online games Halkett plays...

A question for those in the know.

What is the up to date position regarding young Sam Campbell who was on the point of leaving us to head South, with Motherwell having agreed terms with both Leeds and Liverpool?  Not seen anything since he went down for his trial at Liverpool.

21 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I would imagine if the contract has indeed been changed, then presumably the club have been compensated in some regard to facilitate such a change. I know we do well by players who are injured but a player who has become a full Scotland international on our watch and who might have gleaned some kind of financial return if he was under contrast and attracting interest is somewhat different.

If and when he does go then we milk it for what we can be that in monetary terms or simply to use as another angle that can be used to sell the club to prospective signings.  The parallels of Gallagher and Craig Halkett are there to be seen.  There was barely a peep in comparison about Gallagher when both he and Halkett left Livingston at the same time.  The press was full of how great a capture Hearts had landed. Fast forward a couple of years and Gallagher's a full internationalist, played in the Europa League,  on the verge of playing in the European Championships and we don't even know what online games Halkett plays...

Doesn’t it highlight the mercenary nature of the modern agent.

agent: ”I’d like to get my client improved terms, he’s achieved blah, done blah and got international blah”

club: ”ok, improved weekly wage however we’d like an appearance trigger”

”how about naw”

”how about aye”

“Ok then”

Fast forward 6 months ....

agent: “see that legally binding agreement, can we pie it?”

40 minutes ago, dennyc said:

A question for those in the know.

What is the up to date position regarding young Sam Campbell who was on the point of leaving us to head South, with Motherwell having agreed terms with both Leeds and Liverpool?  Not seen anything since he went down for his trial at Liverpool.

He’s injured?

No doubt the jury is out on the scouting and fitness elements of the club, but given Liam Kelly's performances alone since he came in, you could argue January's transfer window has been more positive than negative and has made all the difference...given the alternative was running with Morisson (unknown?) / Chapman for the second half of the season.

Kelly must be in with a real shout of that Euro spot, which would be another massive feather in the cap for the club.

The only other contenders for me would be Xander Clarke or Robbie McCrorie, but I think Kelly is better than both of them.

23 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Kelly must be in with a real shout of that Euro spot, which would be another massive feather in the cap for the club.

The only other contenders for me would be Xander Clarke or Robbie McCrorie, but I think Kelly is better than both of them.

Miles ahead of Mc Crorie. 

Clarke far to erratic.

Only other possibility is Archer who showed improvement with us but now almost permanently on bench at Middlesbrough.

4 hours ago, livivoice said:

Miles ahead of Mc Crorie. 

Clarke far to erratic.

Only other possibility is Archer who showed improvement with us but now almost permanently on bench at Middlesbrough.

I agree.

Archer isnt playing so wont be in the mix.

Similarly McLaughlan.

I am not aware of any other good Scottish keepers playing at a decent level that would be considered. Bain maybe?

On 2/28/2021 at 9:22 PM, Kmcalpin said:

Craig Gordon?

Marshall and Gordon are stick ons. As would McGregor be if he hadnt "retired", but the 3rd place is up for grabs. I think Kelly has a right good shot at it.