2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

48 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Marshall and Gordon are stick ons. As would McGregor be if he hadnt "retired", but the 3rd place is up for grabs. I think Kelly has a right good shot at it.

I agree, Kelly had been different class. He has age on his side as well, so that could help him get into the squad as third choice keeper with an eye on the future. Wonder if he’ll still be under contract to us at the time of the Euros, ie might we get weighed in with the UEFA appearance fee?!

18 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Am I correct in thinking that Campbell will go with no compensation due, assuming he leaves at the end of the season ?

Training compensation or development fee, amount varies dependent on where he goes, unless it is MLS!

2 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Am I correct in thinking that Campbell will go with no compensation due, assuming he leaves at the end of the season ?

I think Compensation is due up until the end of the season in which a player turns 23. So as AC is not 23 until July (I think) we should be ok if he leaves at Season end.  Might end up like a Hastie situation if he moves within Scotland. Either the clubs negotiate a fee or it goes to a Tribunal, like Ferguson from Accies to Aberdeen.

If he goes cross border then prescribed  Compenation should kick in. Or a deal can be agreed.

The benefit of agreeing a deal  means add ons can be built in. With a Tribunal it is a once and for all fee. 

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

I think Compensation is due up until the end of the season in which a player turns 23. So as AC is not 23 until July (I think) we should be ok if he leaves at Season end.  Might end up like a Hastie situation if he moves within Scotland. Either the clubs negotiate a fee or it goes to a Tribunal, like Ferguson from Accies to Aberdeen.

If he goes cross border then prescribed  Compenation should kick in. Or a deal can be agreed.

The benefit of agreeing a deal  means add ons can be built in. With a Tribunal it is a once and for all fee. 

Thanks, was unsure as I knew he turns 23 after season end, so wasn't sure if signing for someone after his birthday negated our training compensation.

8 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Livi fan on P & B saying Scott Robinson rumoured to be signing for us in summer him and Guthrie are probably the 2 main Livi players imo but not an expert on them .

I've always thought robinson to be one of livis best players so i certainly wouldn't mind if we signed him,I've not seen much of guthrie other than against us but he seems to be a big no nonsense centre half thats a threat at set pieces,again i wouldn't be against us bringing him in for next season.

Bruce Anderson out of contract at the end of the season.

Done well at Accies, young, potential for development/sell on and he sounds like he's desperate for a chance to kick on.

Not sure what the compensation rules are though.  Wouldn't sign him as the main striker but I think he's a player with a wee bit of potential.  

54 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Livi fan on P & B saying Scott Robinson rumoured to be signing for us in summer him and Guthrie are probably the 2 main Livi players imo but not an expert on them .

Robinson 'unavailable for selection' today. 

'Will Robinson play for the club again?' ' Don't know'

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Bruce Anderson out of contract at the end of the season.

Done well at Accies, young, potential for development/sell on and he sounds like he's desperate for a chance to kick on.

Not sure what the compensation rules are though.  Wouldn't sign him as the main striker but I think he's a player with a wee bit of potential.  

I think it's still the case that if the standard compensation rules are applied, it's still prohibitively expensive for us to sign young players developed in Scotland.

Of course, clubs are are still free to make deals with different incentives like future transfer cuts and add-ons.

• Like 1

These figures are from 2017,  but I believe UEFA compensation works something like this.

You receive a % for players' development between the ages of 12 and 21, depending on the category of club you are. Also, between the ages of 12 - 15 you only entitled to category 4 compensation regardless of what category of club you are. This is because the compensation is for development costs, and the 12 - 15 year olds are less expensive to train.

The figures I see in the tables I linked are €10,000 for category 4 UEFA clubs, and €60,000 for category 2 UEFA clubs - which is the highest category in Scotland.

So even if you use they older figures that works out at around €400,000 assuming we are are a category 2 club or about half that if were classified as a category 3. (I'm pretty sure we are Cat 2, but I can't find that list right now).

The payments are only enforcable up to the player's 23rd birthday, but teams are free to make their own deals.

39 minutes ago, weeyin said:

These figures are from 2017,  but I believe UEFA compensation works something like this.

You receive a % for players' development between the ages of 12 and 21, depending on the category of club you are. Also, between the ages of 12 - 15 you only entitled to category 4 compensation regardless of what category of club you are. This is because the compensation is for development costs, and the 12 - 15 year olds are less expensive to train.

The figures I see in the tables I linked are €10,000 for category 4 UEFA clubs, and €60,000 for category 2 UEFA clubs - which is the highest category in Scotland.

So even if you use they older figures that works out at around €400,000 assuming we are are a category 2 club or about half that if were classified as a category 3. (I'm pretty sure we are Cat 2, but I can't find that list right now).

The payments are only enforcable up to the player's 23rd birthday, but teams are free to make their own deals.

My Understanding is that Uefa compensation only applies only  if a cross border transfer takes place. So if he was to go to Hibs, either the Clubs agree a deal (with possible addons including a % of possible future transfers) or it goes to a SFA Tribunal....to be held in private with Clubs not allowed to comment on the details. All as per Ferguson from Accies to Aberdeen. Accies fans had to wait until Aberdeen detailed the transfer fee in their Accounts to find out how much had been awarded.

The Uefa Compensation tables are encouraging and the 400k you mention is what I also calculated for a category 2 League.  But any domestic tribunal does not need to follow Uefa guidelines. And if it is a Tribunal award, it is a one off fee with no add ons.

For those reasons we did well to negotiate a deal with Rangers for Hastie rather than go to the Lottery of the SFA. Just ask Accies.

My reading of it anyway. Better if he heads South.

I think that's true regarding the SFA, but in theory at least, they are supposed to use the UEFA formula as their guide. It's at least better than the old system where you'd sell a player to the Old Firm who would immediately dispute the fee and the SFA would just divide the estimated value of a player by 10 and award that to the "wee" club.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, steelboy said:

If Crawford is a regular starter then it will be another season of eye bleeding football. 

Our club is going backwards and complete agree about eye bleeding .

We should be picking up some of the very decent youngsters from the likes of Hamilton and using a little of the £3m turnbull to invest in better than what we’ve got .

not impressed by the club and not impressed by GA either . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Our club is going backwards and complete agree about eye bleeding .

We should be picking up some of the very decent youngsters from the likes of Hamilton and using a little of the £3m turnbull to invest in better than what we’ve got .

not impressed by the club and not impressed by GA either . 

I think it’s too early to judge Graham Alexander as Motherwell manager as he deserves a summer transfer window at least to show his worth. However, if as has been mentioned, the likes of Mugabi and Crawford are being retained to be first team regulars next season then that is concerning, to say the least.

Only time will tell of course and as I said, the manager has the ‘grace’ of a summer transfer window to prove he’s the man for the job.

2 hours ago, Shaka said:

Robbie Crawford new deal....... yay <_<

I think he’s been ok so far, not however someone, along with Mugabi who I think will see us pushing for a top six again. We need players of a slightly higher level if the budget permits, given GA has stated he wants a smaller squad I would have thought it would.

I'm not going to get pre-outraged about Mugabi and Crawford and claim were going to build a team around them or something.  Both are decent enough options in areas where were going to need 2 or 3 additional signings on top of them.

I am hoping though, that with the planned smaller squad, that we are going to try for a more quality v quantity approach for the remaining signings. 

The way I look at it is we know that Mugabi and Crawford can both perform at this level so why not keep them.

We are going to be predominantly looking at lower league English players at the summer as that is the market GA knows best but its always a crap shoot as to whether they turn out to gems or duds. If they turn out to be gems then at least we have decent back ups. If they turn out to be duds then we have 2 players we know can do a turn for us.

I would dearly love to pick up some young Scottish talent but that doesn't come cheap if they're still under contract or some of the bigger clubs are also sniffing around offering more money than us.