2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

38 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think he’s been ok so far, not however someone, along with Mugabi who I think will see us pushing for a top six again. We need players of a slightly higher level if the budget permits, given GA has stated he wants a smaller squad I would have thought it would.

Agree 100%. Both Mugabi and Crawford are ok as squad back ups but not as first picks. We do need to bring in some new blood of a slightly higher calibre. I also have concerns over the goalkeeper position. I like Trevor Carson a lot as he's a top goalie at our level. But, is he now too injury prone? 

Sorry but big Bevis is a totally different player under Alexander than was under Robinson.His game has came on a fair wee bit I think and will only get better.

Crawford bring him on and will do a job type player no thrills.

I do think think we should go balls deep and get Kelly on a perma deal if we can 3 year deal with an extension think we could recoup the investment easy.

15 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Sorry but big Bevis is a totally different player under Alexander than was under Robinson.His game has came on a fair wee bit I think and will only get better.

Crawford bring him on and will do a job type player no thrills.

I do think think we should go balls deep and get Kelly on a perma deal if we can 3 year deal with an extension think we could recoup the investment easy.

I doubt we could afford him, and let’s be honest he’s good enough to be playing at a decent level down south.

20 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I doubt we could afford him, and let’s be honest he’s good enough to be playing at a decent level down south.

There's a thread over on P&B on who the next Scotland keeper is going to be since the current ones are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Might be in Kelly's interested to get some guaranteed and reasonably high profile game time.

Problem is other clubs will be looking for a keeper.  Hibs being one since Marciano is off.

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Our club is going backwards and complete agree about eye bleeding .

We should be picking up some of the very decent youngsters from the likes of Hamilton and using a little of the £3m turnbull to invest in better than what we’ve got .

not impressed by the club and not impressed by GA either . 

after the season just gone there wont be much left of the £3 million and if the club sticks to the promise that season tickets will be valid for next season I cannot see where any spare cash is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

We should be picking up some of the very decent youngsters from the likes of Hamilton

Would that be the very decent youngsters who are obviously that good that the team they are playing for, are bottom  of the league and would have been relegated weeks ago if it had mot been for our generosity and pish play giving them 9 points.

We have enough dross in the team just now without bringing more in 

8 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Would that be the very decent youngsters who are obviously that good that the team they are playing for, are bottom  of the league and would have been relegated weeks ago if it had mot been for our generosity and pish play giving them 9 points.

We have enough dross in the team just now without bringing more in 

Genuine question here, are you saying that from having detailed knowledge of all of the Hamilton players or simply a cursory glance at the league table?

Do the names McFadden, Hammell, Lasley and Pearson mean anything to you, all of whom who played in a side that but for a "gift" would have been relegated.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-odonnell-closing-new-motherwell-23844329

Stephen O'Donnell closing in on new Motherwell deal as Graham Alexander hopeful of tying down Scotland star

Full-back is out of contract in the summer and has been linked with clubs on both sides of the border.

Robbie Crawford has penned a new one-year deal with Motherwell - and boss Graham Alexander is hopeful Stephen O’Donnell won't be far behind.

The Fir Park full-back, who became a dad for the second time on Thursday just a day after returning from international duty, has excelled with his hometown club since moving from Kilmarnock.

And Alexander hopes home comforts will be a deciding factor for the 28-year-old whose contract runs out in two months.

He said: “We’re quite close. He has been really positive. Being away with Scotland stalled it but the talks have been really encouraging.

“We want Stephen to stay. We’ve made it clear how important he is to us as a player and a personality.

“He is a leader and has been captain since Declan Gallagher hasn’t been in the team and has shown another side of himself in leadership.

“He wasn’t in on Thursday as his wife was having a baby, which went great thankfully. He obviously wanted to take care of his wife and little girl but he’s also keen to get back involved straight away.

“We will pick those talks up again after the Scottish Cup tie.”

While talks with O’Donnell have been positive, Alexander admits he’s “realistic” on Gallagher’s future.

Record Sport revealed Aberdeen were keen on the Scotland international defender who is out of contract in the summer.

Cardiff City, Hearts and Dundee United are also interested.

Motherwell skipper Declan Gallagher has attracted interest from several clubs

Alexander said: “I am quite realistic. We had a great conversation towards the end of January about staying until the end of the season and giving everything he has got.

“I know he has suitors. We offered him a good deal here and a platform to continue his progress and be around the Scotland squad.

“But we know there’s clubs out there that can pay him a lot more than we can.”

Crawford’s new deal takes him through to the summer of 2022.

And Alexander said: “Robbie has been an integral part of the team since we came in.

"He has proven he has the ability, commitment and character to continue his form with us.

"We’re very happy he’s agreed to stay and we feel it’s another positive step in our plan for the future."

Personally I would be very happy to see O’Donnell stay, think that would be a great bit of business. He’s shown for Scotland how good he can be when played a certain way and there is next to no chance of us picking up better.

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Personally I would be very happy to see O’Donnell stay, think that would be a great bit of business. He’s shown for Scotland how good he can be when played a certain way and there is next to no chance of us picking up better.

Seriously I just dont see what it is you guys are seeing when he's playing for us.  His distribution is iffy at best and the least said about his crossing  the better. His cross for Scotlands goal last week is about the first decent cross hes put in 6 months.

9 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I would happy seeing odonnell sign on. ok he hasn't been as good as for us than Scotland but if he signs a new deal then was spotted at the euros then it would mean getting money for him.  Maybe a new deal will settle him and he can improve with us 

must be a Motherwell thing a few of my non Motherwell supporting colleagues dont think his Scotland displays have been up to much either.

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

must be a Motherwell thing a few of my non Motherwell supporting colleagues dont think his Scotland displays have been up to much either.

I think he is lucky that we dont have many Scotland options for right back. He is better than Palmer and outside of that not many right backs about. Plus we get money if he participates at the euros so all good .COYW

48 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Really, looking from the outside being English I think he’s been excellent at times, certainly better than he’s been with us.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Really, looking from the outside being English I think he’s been excellent at times, certainly better than he’s been with us.

Also, from several sources I'm aware that his Scottish team mates think very highly of him both on and off the pitch.

Yup, he ain't Cafu but for a club of our standard we should be happy he's with us.

Then again there's no pleasing some folk!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

He has been excellent for Scotland, needs to show that for Motherwell but he is much further up the park for the National team.

Motherwell players playing for the first Scotland team to qualify for the Euros in 20+ years?

Booooo.

BOOOOOOOO!

Get them ooooot!!!!!

Don't want all those fancy dan internationalists anywhere near our squad when we can have non-league journeyman to fill the jerseys.

Let's get Grimshaw back there and put Lamie at left back!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

after the season just gone there wont be much left of the £3 million and if the club sticks to the promise that season tickets will be valid for next season I cannot see where any spare cash is.

I'd have rather we spent the 50-100k  to bring in some great Scottish talent who could earn us more money in a few years time vs splashing out salaries on 30 first team players.

Im not expecting us to go crazy but look at Campbell - someone will pick him up for buttons but he'll earn more on a Hibs/Aberdeen type  salary than a Motherwell one.  We could be doing the same for some players who'd see Motherwell as a step up and that doesn't need to be the lower English leagues. 

7 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I would happy seeing odonnell sign on. ok he hasn't been as good as for us than Scotland but if he signs a new deal then was spotted at the euros then it would mean getting money for him.  Maybe a new deal will settle him and he can improve with us 

O'Donnell isnt the required quality! We need proper quality players like Jobbie Crawford!! <_<