2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Any news I produce is usually spot on ,this however is complete personal opinion and things I’ve heard regarding wages however my point still stands Dunne isn’t on anywhere near 1.2k a week and most fans will not that as it’s very much reduced terms the same as when Tanner is injured different story if he returns. Again Lamie and White came from teams very much below us in the pay scale and came as back up so not hard to work out.

:lol:

Underwhelmed by Foley. If he was decent why isnt he in the St Midden team & why have they given him to a supposed direct rival?

That being said, he had pedigree and brings experience, and he cant be any worse than some of the shite here. 

I take it Crawford is away back to Livvy. Cant understand any reason for us not doing so with Foley in and Donnelly due back soon

16 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Underwhelmed by Foley. If he was decent why isnt he in the St Midden team & why have they given him to a supposed direct rival?

That being said, he had pedigree and brings experience, and he cant be any worse than some of the shite here. 

I take it Crawford is away back to Livvy. Cant understand any reason for us not doing so with Foley in and Donnelly due back soon

Think hes in the same category as Tait in that most fans thought he was past his best when he went to St Mirren where by all accounts hes rediscovered his va va voom and has had a good season.

Midden fans say Foley's legs went this season ( the same things we were saying about Tait in his last season with us) but maybe he just needs a new challenge.

As with every new player I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he's played a few games.

A decent signing and he can play midfield or centre half.

Sorry to see him go. Ok I know he wasn't at his best before he was left out of the team, but that could have been said about most of the squad. We could have done with his experience over the hard run of games to come.  Best of luck, Sam.

•  

7 hours ago, santheman said:

Some chat  over on P&B that this guy might be on his way to us based purely on a social mediapost

IMG_1611893689.002080.thumb.jpg.dd20dee399f5850aeebfe5ef879fd3e5.jpg 

Going to Queen of the South apparently.

I know that some QOS guys stay in Hamilton and train there so looks like he was getting off at Motherwell on route to his new digs 

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Also slightly different topic but if you think my patter is bad just listen to David Currie on sportsound backed up by Ricky 'did ye know my wife's a singer' Foster!!,  hope for me yet as a pundit....ba boom

Is she?! You not heard her murdering Flower Of Scotland?! :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shaka said:

I have no inside knowledge, but going by Jake Carroll's recovery I'm not expecting Donnelly  back any time soon. Add to that Crawford may leave as might Allan Campbell and the absences of O'Hara and Grimshaw mean that we could be caught short in midfield. Foley has only signed until the summer so he's low risk. He's experienced and that's what we need in the engine room right now. 

I genuinely want to see young guys like Dean Cornelius come through but it has to be in the right circumstances.

24 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I genuinely want to see young guys like Dean Cornelius come through but it has to be in the right circumstances.

I think most of us agree with that one. Does anyone know how Jamie Semple is doing at Cove? With Polworth blowing hot and cold, maybe time for a new manager to have a look at Semple? 

6 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I think most of us agree with that one. Does anyone know how Jamie Semple is doing at Cove? With Polworth blowing hot and cold, maybe time for a new manager to have a look at Semple? 

Despite the fanfare, unlikely our development players will be called upon.

Well aware of current predicament & the need for experience before anybody starts. Introduction of our prospects has many variables - would help if the management knew the kids names or even conversed with them.

Reference Jake Hastie, does anyone think he will be a regular in the team?
I just don’t understand why we would want to keep his services beyond this window, maybe we have him on the cheap, as he hasn’t performed in any game since his return this season, ok he hasn’t started many games but based on the ones he did start, I just don’t see why we are keeping him, GA must think there is a benefit for maintaining his services, I just feel he is taking up a wage at the moment with very little contribution to the team.

I have said this a few times, he is certainly not Rangers class and don’t see him ever getting into a Rangers team again, I suspect maybe Alloa again if he continues his progress!

With less than 48 hours to go, you can’t help but feeling entirely underwhelmed by the business we have done. There’s no significant increase in quality as yet (yes, lawleff is better than seedorf but who isn’t). IMO we went into this window needing a minimum 3/4 players of significant superior quality to what we have - bodies that would come straight  into the first 11. Not only to help us escape a relegation battle but to also galvanize the support and give us a backbone as we heads into a summer whereby we stand to loose 3-4 of our bigger names (though arguably some of the poorer  performers recently). Lawleff was / is always/should be a squad player, Smith seems decent but again isn’t a focal point or a nailed on starter  and Foley is somewhat of a baffling signing given he’s 34, hardly kicked a ball all season and is on a short term deal. We could have/should have invested in this window however I can’t help but feel we’re doing the absolute minimum as a club to hopefully squeeze out a 10th placed finish.  The abundance of dead wood remains, to be cleared in the summer.
All of which amounts to the most monumental rebuild I can remember, with the distinct possibility of an almost unrecognizable starting 11 next season - that doesn’t hold much hope for a team that might be chasing promotion. 

• Like 1

It seems the rest of the league are in the same position as us, with most teams making pretty underwhelming signings or none at all. I'm trying to think of a player that's signed elsewhere that I wish we'd got first. Jackson Irvine to hibs maybe, but we're never going to compete with them on wages. It also doesn't matter how much money we have if players just don't want to come here, which is enough of a problem when there isn't a pandemic.

Kelly has been a good signing, and we can't judge the other 3 until we see them play for us. If you look back at previous January windows, the successful signings were all unknowns at the time. I hope we're not done strengthening, but I wouldn't be surprised if we are. I'm more worried about keeping our players at this stage.