Jump to content

David

2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Quite like Crawford, he keeps the ball well. He's not the most physical but certainly nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be.

 

In the first half of the Ross County game he was the only midfielder to make any sort of decent pass on the deck into the box. Twice.

I disagree, he regularly gives the ball away.  Played a proper suicide pass during the County win that better teams would have punished us with.  Playing such passes and losing the ball in dangerous areas certainly seems to be his calling card.  We're playing him to the detriment of our own youth players who genuinely couldn't be any worse.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

I disagree, he regularly gives the ball away.  Played a proper suicide pass during the County win that better teams would have punished us with.  Playing such passes and losing the ball in dangerous areas certainly seems to be his calling card.  We're playing him to the detriment of our own youth players who genuinely couldn't be any worse.

With regards to that pass, the idea was spot on, it was the pass I was shouting at the tele for him to make, the execution was rotten but I am not going to slate someone for trying to make something happen. Had we conceded I doubt i'd be saying the same thing but we didn't.

which youth players are you referring to?  I suppose the players in question are Barry Maguire and Dean Cornelius, I thought Maguire was excellent against County and hope he keeps his place. With Cornelius I hear he is very well thought of, and other than his cameo against utd and livingston two seasons ago, I know nothing of him but given the situation we are in with a midfield that looks pretty young and inexperienced I think making it even younger and less experienced is the last thing we need, sometimes as fans we are slightly blinded by how good our own actually are in comparison to player x we signed from club y.

Cornelius, if good enough will get his chance, we just need to steady the ship a bit first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Dunne's contract extended till the end of the season. 

Would he be furloughed? Makes sense if he is for him and the player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

Would he be furloughed? Makes sense if he is for him and the player?

I wouldn't imagine so...can he legally train and take part in active rehabilitation sessions with the club if he's on furlough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

Would he be furloughed? Makes sense if he is for him and the player?

Apparently back in light training so I doubt it. In the much talked about BBC interview, Robinson also stated that Motherwell hadn't asked anyone to take less wages than they were contracted for. Take from that what you will...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offence to big Charles but what is the point in us giving him an extended deal to end of season?  He isnt likely to feature for us.  Club goes on about budgets yet we we are paying for a player who isnt going to play 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, grizzlyg said:

No offence to big Charles but what is the point in us giving him an extended deal to end of season?  He isnt likely to feature for us.  Club goes on about budgets yet we we are paying for a player who isnt going to play 

Club philosophy not to leave a player in a worse state than we got them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy enough for Crawford to stay, if nothing else it strengthens our bench, but he has been decent in his starts. 

Dunne is a case of standing by our ethos of not letting players leave injured. He's only 27, so there's always the possibility of him staying on longer if he gets fit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MearnsWell said:

Jamie Semple recalled from loan at Cove.

Sensible decision as he wasn't getting a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly hope big  Charles gets fit again .  Great big guy but just my opinion I wasn't overly impressed when he was fit. Certainly had pace but that was about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Dunne because he would deliberately set up opportunities to race people, and he reminds me of happier times. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Apparently back in light training so I doubt it. In the much talked about BBC interview, Robinson also stated that Motherwell hadn't asked anyone to take less wages than they were contracted for. Take from that what you will...

I take we should have a more content dressing room than has been reported.

So far all the January deals I imagine were players on the radar before Alexander got the gig. The keeper, Lawless and Foley I imagine were new names to him when they were presented and sold as options however he must have had final say. Only Crawford, through exposure over the past 4 weeks, has earned the nod as a direct result of interaction and assessment.

So we have yet to see players he has identified which was no doubt seen as part of his attraction when appointed. The night is still young as they say .....

I hope the lack of interaction with the academy players as alluded by Onthefringes has been remedied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, steelboy said:

If the performances Crawford has been putting in are what we are aspiring to we will be leaving the top division soon enough. 

The guy is a trier but he is a lower league player struggling a level above where he should be. 

No sure what that says about Campbell this season then, Crawford has actually been ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I take we should have a more content dressing room than has been reported.

So far all the January deals I imagine were players on the radar before Alexander got the gig. The keeper, Lawless and Foley I imagine were new names to him when they were presented and sold as options however he must have had final say. Only Crawford, through exposure over the past 4 weeks, has earned the nod as a direct result of interaction and assessment.

So we have yet to see players he has identified which was no doubt seen as part of his attraction when appointed. The night is still young as they say .....

I hope the lack of interaction with the academy players as alluded by Onthefringes has been remedied.

Was thinking exactly the same myself, let’s see who the Alexander signings are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Well Well said:

Club philosophy not to leave a player in a worse state than we got them

im split on this.

In one hand I admire how the club stands by people .

On the other we pi55 away many a salary on too many players and end up looking in the bargain basement bucket.  Less players of higher quality would be the upside here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

So far all the January deals I imagine were players on the radar before Alexander got the gig. The keeper, Lawless and Foley I imagine were new names to him when they were presented and sold as options however he must have had final say. Only Crawford, through exposure over the past 4 weeks, has earned the nod as a direct result of interaction and assessment.

I remember seeing somewhere when he signed that it was an initial 6 month loan, with a pre-contract/made permanent after that. I don’t think Alexander would’ve had much say on Crawford tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I take we should have a more content dressing room than has been reported.

So far all the January deals I imagine were players on the radar before Alexander got the gig. The keeper, Lawless and Foley I imagine were new names to him when they were presented and sold as options however he must have had final say. Only Crawford, through exposure over the past 4 weeks, has earned the nod as a direct result of interaction and assessment.

So we have yet to see players he has identified which was no doubt seen as part of his attraction when appointed. The night is still young as they say .....

I hope the lack of interaction with the academy players as alluded by Onthefringes has been remedied.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that GA knew Foley from his time down south (although I could have  just have imagined it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

I disagree, he regularly gives the ball away.  Played a proper suicide pass during the County win that better teams would have punished us with.  Playing such passes and losing the ball in dangerous areas certainly seems to be his calling card.  We're playing him to the detriment of our own youth players who genuinely couldn't be any worse.

Aye I know the pass you're talking about, it was a fairly simple cross field switch that would've sent us away down the wing but he butchered it.

 

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think we could do better, just don't think he's quite the "Livi reject" people make him out to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

No sure what that says about Campbell this season then, Crawford has actually been ok.

Our form going off a cliff coincides perfectly with Crawford coming into the team. The guy is a weak link, it's obviously not solely his fault but he is nowhere near the required level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Our form going off a cliff coincides perfectly with Crawford coming into the team. The guy is a weak link, it's obviously not solely his fault but he is nowhere near the required level. 

Sadly our squad is littered with weak links .  

Would have preferred to go for someone like  Charlie Gilmour who StJohnstone have just signed.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Sadly our squad is littered with weak links .  

Would have preferred to go for someone like  Charlie Gilmour who StJohnstone have just signed.   

Have never seen this guy play although he does have a good pedigree. Although we have had mixed results loaning  players from the EPL. For every Ruddy or Jutkiewicz, there's been a Belic, Aydilek or Offiong. Worth remembering when we complain about the level we sign players from...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From BBC:

The suggestions that Rangers winger Greg Stewart could be on the move to either Motherwell or Ross County appear wide of the mark. Information is he is going nowhere for the last few months of his contract.

They are also saying Gallacher going nowhere....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope what I've just heard is a fucking joke.....

Edit - It was........some funny fucker thought it would be a good idea to repost the tweet from Tony Straker signing in 2015.......heart in mouth moment there.....

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×