2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I despair of this place. Underwhelming signing perhaps but because it didn't work out at Hearts doesn't mean it won't work out here. John Sutton was poor at Hearts, worked out fine here. We were told that Jake Carroll was dreadful when he signed, he's done a good job. 

Not saying he'll be a world beater, but at least give the guy a chance...

I'm willing to give the guy a chance, but could you tell me where it has worked out for him?

2 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

and?? two are above us in league and hearts are a bigger club than us 

The “and” is that the strong likelihood is that if they’re not good enough for these clubs they’re highly unlikely to help us start climbing the table. But time will tell....

Desperately hoping Gallagher is still a Well player by midnight otherwise I fear we’re in deep deep trouble.

1 minute ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

nah, let's pre judge these players before they play, that's what they do on here.

makes you want the guys to do well , for the club and to shut the eejits on this forum up.

At least what gets said on here, good or bad, generally stays on here. We're essentially having a natter amongst ourselves.

There is nothing more cringe worthy though than seeing players getting @'d on Twitter when folk are piling on. It comes with the territory and all but I pity this guy looking for a fresh start here and seeing what's waiting in his mentions for him. 

6 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I despair of this place. Underwhelming signing perhaps but because it didn't work out at Hearts doesn't mean it won't work out here. John Sutton was poor at Hearts, worked out fine here. We were told that Jake Carroll was dreadful when he signed, he's done a good job. 

Not saying he'll be a world beater, but at least give the guy a chance...

Expressing concerns about a players record  (or lack of) is not to say he won’t be given a chance. Two different things.

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

Expressing concerns is saying "don't know if he's better than we've got". Saying "fucking nonsense" and "pish signing" is not...

Saying something is "fucking nonsense" IS expressing a concern. Ie its fucking nonsense we have finished our outstanding transfer business by signing a guy in his mid 30's who hasnt been good enough to play a single second of English 4th division football this season. 

Nolan seems a good signing on paper. Experienced, versatile, etc. Hoping he helps to tighten things up, as  we’ll be fine once we stop giving away the customary avoidable goal in every game we play. 

Read the wee bio on the official announcement and it makes reference to him being able to play anywhere across the back line. I’m doing 2 plus 2 and getting that Nolan is our new right back. 

Both signings don’t scream exciting to me but it’s still essentially an upgrade on what’s here for 6 months. If I remember correctly Roberts was pretty decentish at ICT and ended up back down south and earned a move to Ipswich (championship at the time), he’s got ability but clearly not shown it in his last few moves but it is slightly baffling to sign someone who can’t get a game for hearts but if we signed him last summer we’d have been happy with it. 

Nolan isn’t a stand out name either but he’ll be pretty solid and looks a complete hard nut. I think we’ve got enough to beat the drop and build again in the summer, let’s just hope both players can make an impact over the course of the next 6 months and maybe longer.

This transfer window has been an utter joke.

This guy Nolan is a left back/centre back, so exactly like Rickie Lamie & Nathan McGinlay and we now have Jake Carroll fit.

Roberts? A left winger like Steven Lawless, Seedorf & Hastie. Plus Semple has been recalled from Cove so he can spend the next 3 months sitting in the stand here doing nothing

Foley? The fact St Mirren have WILLINGLY given him to us tells you all you need to know

We now have a seriously bloated squad of 35! 

Harry Smith looks handy, Kelly is a fantastic signing as will Lawless be when (if?) he gets fit. But thats it. 3 good signings, 3 seemingly poor, and still in this bloated mess of a squad, we do not have a Right Winger, a Striker who could be a threat or a Midfielder capable of scoring a goal.

• Like 1

On paper our 2 signings tonight may seem underwhelming but some folks need to calm down and give them a chance. The time to judge will be in a few months time  My only concern is Roberts' injury record but presumably our management has checked this. Most of our transfer window signings would seem to have been identified before GA arrived - no? What I would say is that the positions we've recruited for are the ones which most of us would have identified a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

Nolan seems a good signing on paper. Experienced, versatile, etc. Hoping he helps to tighten things up, as  we’ll be fine once we stop giving away the customary avoidable goal in every game we play. 

Read the wee bio on the official announcement and it makes reference to him being able to play anywhere across the back line. I’m doing 2 plus 2 and getting that Nolan is our new right back. 

The guy hasnt played a second of football this season, is he even fit? 

Can only sign what's available.
Ross Co and Hamilton don't appear to have pushed the boat out either, while the former lost one of their better players.
Killie have a couple Premiership youngsters on loan, but that doesn't necessarily count for anything.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Saying something is "fucking nonsense" IS expressing a concern. Ie its fucking nonsense we have finished our outstanding transfer business by signing a guy in his mid 30's who hasnt been good enough to play a single second of English 4th division football this season. 

To be fair to Nolan, he's probably struggled to play in the 4th division because that's not the league Crewe are in. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Tom Aldred couldn't get a game at Bury...

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

On paper our 2 signings tonight may seem underwhelming but some folks need to calm down and give them a chance. The time to judge will be in a few months time  My only concern is Roberts' injury record but presumably our management has checked this. Most of our transfer window signings would seem to have been identified before GA arrived - no? What I would say is that the positions we've recruited for are the ones which most of us would have identified a few weeks ago. 

Thats not correct tho is it? We needed someone who could put the ball in the net semi regularly, we desperately needed a right winger & we needed a goalscoring threat from midfield. Even 2 out of those 3 would have been huge, but none of that has been resolved!

Smith is an upgrade on White yes, but is at best an impact sub. Kelly is an upgrade on all our keepers no doubt. Foley might be decent if he is fit and his legs havent gone, as may Nolan if the same hasnt happened to him, but we already have several players in each of their positions, including some of our "best" players! Are they an upgrade?

And Roberts is just bizarre, we sign Lawless then 2 weeks later sign ANOTHER left winger?