2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

5 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Thats not correct tho is it? We needed someone who could put the ball in the net semi regularly, we desperately needed a right winger & we needed a goalscoring threat from midfield. Even 2 out of those 3 would have been huge, but none of that has been resolved!

Smith is an upgrade on White yes, but is at best an impact sub. Kelly is an upgrade on all our keepers no doubt. Foley might be decent if he is fit and his legs havent gone, as may Nolan if the same hasnt happened to him, but we already have several players in each of their positions, including some of our "best" players! Are they an upgrade?

And Roberts is just bizarre, we sign Lawless then 2 weeks later sign ANOTHER left winger?

Lawless predominately plays on the right does he not? 

This was never going to be a transfer window to get the juices flowing. The club will have done the best they can from the limited options available. The lack of activity in England underlines how uncertain the future is. Hopefully we’ve done enough to scrape through this season then we can take stock in the summer while O’Donnell and Gallagher are earning us a good few quid at the Euros. 

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Happy with odonnell signing till end of season.  Would have left us struggling at right back 

The best quote of the whole transfer window was Alexanders one on the SOD announcement "our first target was to hold on to our best players, weve achieved that in this transfer window". So sounds like Gallagher & Campbell will be staying till June too

2 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Lawless predominately plays on the right does he not? 

This was never going to be a transfer window to get the juices flowing. The club will have done the best they can from the limited options available. The lack of activity in England underlines how uncertain the future is. Hopefully we’ve done enough to scrape through this season then we can take stock in the summer while O’Donnell and Gallagher are earning us a good few quid at the Euros. 

Nope, Lawless has been a Left Winger his entire career. I believe Partick even tried him at Left Wing Back in a couple games

29 minutes ago, Shaka said:

This transfer window has been an utter joke.

This guy Nolan is a left back/centre back, so exactly like Rickie Lamie & Nathan McGinlay and we now have Jake Carroll fit.

Roberts? A left winger like Steven Lawless, Seedorf & Hastie. Plus Semple has been recalled from Cove so he can spend the next 3 months sitting in the stand here doing nothing

Foley? The fact St Mirren have WILLINGLY given him to us tells you all you need to know

We now have a seriously bloated squad of 35! 

Harry Smith looks handy, Kelly is a fantastic signing as will Lawless be when (if?) he gets fit. But thats it. 3 good signings, 3 seemingly poor, and still in this bloated mess of a squad, we do not have a Right Winger, a Striker who could be a threat or a Midfielder capable of scoring a goal.

just send ur season ticket back and dont watch the games.  I'll let you know in May how it goes

.Its only going to upset you if we go down or stay up , for that matter 

• Like 2

I'm not worried about the squad size at this point. Half the players we had before the window got us into this situation, and we've had to replace them with (hopefully) better to get us out of it. We also have a good few injuries.  I doubt were going to try and find ways to get everyone a game. 

It's not always possible to ship players out, due to contracts and stuff, but maybe we will see some loans to the lower leagues tomorrow. 

20 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Nope, Lawless has been a Left Winger his entire career. I believe Partick even tried him at Left Wing Back in a couple games

My mind must be playing tricks. I’m sure he spent much of his time during the Dykes season out on the right, turning in on his left foot. Prior to that in his early days at Thistle, I vaguely recall him playing in front of O’Donnell. 

27 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Thats not correct tho is it? We needed someone who could put the ball in the net semi regularly, we desperately needed a right winger & we needed a goalscoring threat from midfield. Even 2 out of those 3 would have been huge, but none of that has been resolved!

While I agree that midfield was an area I would have addressed, in four games under Alexamder, Cole has scored three goals. Maybe he'll get the best out of him. I  feel that Cole and Watt will score goals if we create chances. That's why midfield was my concern. Clearly we've not managed to get a creative midfielder in but at the start of January, we had one recognised winger on our books. Now we have three.  Maybe one of them will create the chances we need. 

Like you, I don't think that defenders were a priority, at least in terms of numbers. But beyond Gallagher and Mugabi, which of them do you trust..?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shaka said:

Smith is an upgrade on White yes, but is at best an impact sub. Kelly is an upgrade on all our keepers no doubt. Foley might be decent if he is fit and his legs havent gone, as may Nolan if the same hasnt happened to him, but we already have several players in each of their positions, including some of our "best" players! Are they an upgrade?

And Roberts is just bizarre, we sign Lawless then 2 weeks later sign ANOTHER left winger?

I don't know Shaka. Yes, of course we needed a prolific scorer, but we also needed a main striker for others to play off and Smith fits that bill. We also needed a keeper and Kelly fits that bill.   We needed 2 wingers and Lawless and Roberts (who can play on the right) fit those bills. We needed experience in the centre midfield and Foley fits that bill. Also a centre back and Nolan fits that bill. 

Now thats not to say they will all be successes because they won't of course. We do have  a number of long term injuries and I just wonder when we'll see Donnelly again for example. I do however have 2 concerns. Firstly the squad is bloated, albeit our injury list is long.  In the coming days we might well see some players go out on loan and/or some contracts paid up. Secondly I still want to see youth given a chance but that will depend of course on results.  Many of the squad are on loan or are on short term contracts until the summer and that will give the new management team time to assess them or identify replacements.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

My mind must be playing tricks. I’m sure he spent much of his time during the Dykes season out on the right, turning in on his left foot. Prior to that in his early days at Thistle, I vaguely recall him playing in front of O’Donnell. 

No it wasnt. My mistake, I was (partially) talking shite! :lol: Lawless has played right side for Partick. Anytime I saw him play or read anything about him he was LW but had a wee look thro Youtube and it looks like he has played both sides.

• Like 1

GA has certainly freshened up the side, time will tell if the new signings will work out and don’t think it would do any good to start moaning about the quality of our signings as after all it is Motherwell and the big roller coaster ride.

It looks to me that GA will build his team after this season and he has only got most of his signings on 6 month contracts!

6 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Aberdeen released Curtis Main, in a bizarre twist since he's been playing regularly for them and they just sold Cosgrove....

I don't think he's what we need but he's surely a better option than some of what we have.

Im amazed they signed him in the first place he was generally pish for us.

6 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

He did, played on that side when we played them at their place.

We’re going to need an open top bus in may...

Not because we’ll win anything, we’ll just need to ship out 28 from 35 bodies at the end of the season. 

In all seriousness, great job Motherwell. Clearly improved the first team, moved on bodies and brought real pedigree and excitement during January. I for one am excited about the strategic prospect of our B squad entering the pyramid. At this rate, we might meet each other in league 1.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kmac said:

We’re going to need an open top bus in may...

Not because we’ll win anything, we’ll just need to ship out 28 from 35 bodies at the end of the season. 

In all seriousness, great job Motherwell. Clearly improved the first team, moved on bodies and brought real pedigree and excitement during January. I for one am excited about the strategic prospect of our B squad entering the pyramid. At this rate, we might meet each other in league 1.

How about we just give them a chance before we start predicting league 1 football. Alexander is just through the door, he deserves a bit of time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1