2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

17 minutes ago, ropy said:

If SOD is out of contract at the end of the season do we get the Euro consolidation money?

Sure I read that the money goes to the club that had the player’s contract at season end. So on that basis, yes. I guess the thinking is that a player earns his place at the finals on the basis of how he played for his contracted club. So that club should get the payment. 

1 hour ago, wunderwell said:

I think it will be needed for the hectic month of Feb but it is a worrying 6 month wage bill.

Considering the present board have successfully negotiated us out of probably the 2nd worse financial position in the clubs history I've got enough confidence in them that they know what they're doing.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Signing two centre halves suggests that Alexander has the same opinion of Lamie and McGinley as most of us. 

Looking forward this summer is going to be our biggest rebuild yet. Looking at the squad Watt and Carroll are the only two you would put money starting the first fixture of next season with potentially Lawless and Donnelly joining them. We are going to need a lot of new players. 

Am I missing something what has McGinley done wrong? I’m on the bandwagon for Lamie though, should have been signed as nothing more than back up, however I think McGinley is more than capable of doing a job, unless he’s not doing it in training but whenever I’ve watched him he’s been decent.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Am I missing something what has McGinley done wrong? I’m on the bandwagon for Lamie though, should have been signed as nothing more than back up, however I think McGinley is more than capable of doing a job, unless he’s not doing it in training but whenever I’ve watched him he’s been decent.

McGinley gets really unfair treatment in my opinion 

• Like 2

Strange one with SO’D  and the euro payments. If as suggested the club is due circa £70500, I’d have thought it would have been worth a club - possibly down south - signing him for 6 months on £3000 per week as the euro cash would pay the majority or his wage. 
Not sure what deal we have with him but I’m sure that we’re paying him less than that so overall we have an international player for no cost and possibly a small profit. 

Of course this is dependent on him being in the Scotland squad but barring injury, I’m confident he will be included. 

3 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

McGinley gets really unfair treatment in my opinion 

He does. Robinson gave him a shout out in that interview lately highlighting his qualities and the impact of Covid and been stuck in a house on his own. He’s definitely got ability in my view but a combination of injuries and never really getting up to speed in a settled team has effected him.

32 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Strange one with SO’D  and the euro payments. If as suggested the club is due circa £70500, I’d have thought it would have been worth a club - possibly down south - signing him for 6 months on £3000 per week as the euro cash would pay the majority or his wage. 
Not sure what deal we have with him but I’m sure that we’re paying him less than that so overall we have an international player for no cost and possibly a small profit. 

Do you think O'Donnell's agent doesn't know that?

I would expect we are paying him the same basic wage but if we stay up and he goes to the Euros he gets a good whack of the UEFA money. 

I wouldn’t be counting our chickens just yet. No guarantee that either will make the squad unless they seriously screw the nut over the next 4-5 months. You’d say on form that neither of them should be near the squad.

That being said we’d all love for that to change, the good thing is even if their heads were turned, the window is now shut. We have some amount of players that need to get the finger out to secure them a decent next contract, wherever that may be. So hopefully that’s a benefit to us as a club and our position at the end of the season. 

10 minutes ago, Bert the Sailor said:

I wouldn’t be counting our chickens just yet. No guarantee that either will make the squad unless they seriously screw the nut over the next 4-5 months. You’d say on form that neither of them should be near the squad.

That being said we’d all love for that to change, the good thing is even if their heads were turned, the window is now shut. We have some amount of players that need to get the finger out to secure them a decent next contract, wherever that may be. So hopefully that’s a benefit to us as a club and our position at the end of the season. 

There is no way we would have replaced Gallagher and O'Donnell with anyone near their level in January, the pair of them staying is huge.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

There is no way we would have replaced Gallagher and O'Donnell with anyone near their level in January, the pair of them staying is huge.

Exactly. Even a slightly under performing Gallagher and O'Donnell are worth having in the team. Getting their levels back up to their best will be a huge boost to our campaign.

38 minutes ago, steelboy said:

That's 22 players. We have something like 37 the now. 

If you don't count Carson, Dunne and Donnelly, and if you don't consider the likes of Cornelius, Semple, Devine and Johnston first team players. It's something like 26 players. So more than 22, but nowhere near the 37 you suggest...

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Tbf my point was to do with people talking about money from Scotland squads. As if it’s a given that they’ll make it. I think neither could be guaranteed a place due to playing for Motherwell and their form being far from great. 

Gallagher would be harder to replace than O’Donnell. But you’d be hard pressed to convince me on the showings O’Donnell has shown for us since he’s been here that he’s irreplaceable. The fact is both the players should be performing much better for us than they currently are doing. It doesn’t help when you’ve got leaked stories to the press about contract clauses and players signing a contract extension when the window shuts and for the second window in a row you’re here because there is no better offer. 

Both should be irreplaceable to Motherwell but it’s about time they showed that on the park. 

54 minutes ago, real dosser said:

BBC saying we were unable to complete deal for midfielder Ethan Robson from Blackpool. 

Strange one. Only signed for Blackpool in the summer and he's been in the team or a used sub in most games up until the last 2 or 3. Rangers mentioned as looking at him too, though there's a suggestion that was his agent trying to stir up interest.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:54 PM, santheman said:

Considering the present board have successfully negotiated us out of probably the 2nd worse financial position in the clubs history I've got enough confidence in them that they know what they're doing.

I don't question this, and agree. The point is avoid relegation and suffer some financial impact. Needed because relegation this year is the worst ever year to go down.