Jump to content

David

2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, weeyin said:

With Barry Fry in the mix, I'm sure we come to some mutually acceptable, flexible arrangement.

Over on pie and Bovril a poster has replied that you can sign players, just not play them or register them until the window opens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Over on pie and Bovril a poster has replied that you can sign players, just not play them or register them until the window opens.

Makes sense. As he was transfer listed I doubt Peterborough would have worried about releasing him early - although I guess there would need to be some legal paperwork drawn up regarding who paid his wages etc. pre-window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

are we done with this thread now? 

Haven't seen any announcement regarding Scottish transfer window but I note that the Rnglish window is going to run til early October. Would be surprised if Scotland isn't vaguely in line so this thread may have legs for some time yet. I could see us selling a midfielder as we seem to have plenty of bodies in there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Haven't seen any announcement regarding Scottish transfer window but I note that the Rnglish window is going to run til early October. Would be surprised if Scotland isn't vaguely in line so this thread may have legs for some time yet. I could see us selling a midfielder as we seem to have plenty of bodies in there...

Opened on July 14th and closes on 6th October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

are we done with this thread now? 

Still no word on Lang, are we still a defender short ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Still no word on Lang, are we still a defender short ?

Re Lang
from bbc Wigan page

“......In the meantime, with no fans at games, selling players remains the only way of raising money.

Although the transfer window is not open, Wigan are allowed to sell one of their younger players, Jensen Weir, with a deal for the midfielder to join Brighton said to be close.

The administrators have publicly said there will be no fire sale but departures are expected once the transfer window opens on 27 July.”

so it looks like we can’t sign him until 27th if the administrators / new owners are still willing to sell him. 
 

alternatively I think we will still get him on a year long loan  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lang and George Edmunson (Rangers) are friends it would appear. Lang chatting about how he will be megging him soon...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Re Lang
from bbc Wigan page

“......In the meantime, with no fans at games, selling players remains the only way of raising money.

Although the transfer window is not open, Wigan are allowed to sell one of their younger players, Jensen Weir, with a deal for the midfielder to join Brighton said to be close.

The administrators have publicly said there will be no fire sale but departures are expected once the transfer window opens on 27 July.”

so it looks like we can’t sign him until 27th if the administrators / new owners are still willing to sell him. 
 

alternatively I think we will still get him on a year long loan  

 

27th is the English window.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, superward said:

Lang and George Edmunson (Rangers) are friends it would appear. Lang chatting about how he will be megging him soon...

They played in the same Oldham side - season 2018/19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

27th is the English window.  

Understand that but thought it might be the reason why we have not signed him yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 10:56 PM, superward said:

Lang and George Edmunson (Rangers) are friends it would appear. Lang chatting about how he will be megging him soon...

 On which platform did you see this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's BBC gossip...

Quote

Motherwell attacker David Turnbull is back on Celtic's radar, with the 21-year-old now fully recovered from the knee issue that caused the collapse of his £3m move to Parkhead last summer. (Daily Mail, print edition)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really like to see Turbull stay at Firpark this season at least, as I think we have the makings of a good squad . However we don't know if any deals were made with Celtuc to get 1st refusal on him after his recovery and to be honest if there is another £3 million bid on offer then he will be gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its interesting that a Celtic representative reportedly watched him play in a closed doors game. If true, that suggest that the club knows about their continuing interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I would really like to see Turbull stay at Firpark this season at least, as I think we have the makings of a good squad . However we don't know if any deals were made with Celtuc to get 1st refusal on him after his recovery and to be honest if there is another £3 million bid on offer then he will be gone.

If I was Celtic I wouldn't be offering us £3m when he's barely kicked a ball since. If I was Motherwell I'd bite their hand off, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, numpty said:

If I was Celtic I wouldn't be offering us £3m when he's barely kicked a ball since. If I was Motherwell I'd bite their hand off, though.

Celtic will probably offer less in the hope we take it. But he signed an extended contract which gives the club a little more power in any negotiation dependant on any demands Turnbull made when extending. I’d like to see him getting back to his best which should see interest down south again rather than Celtic trying to jump in early and get him at a cut price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the transfer window opened until Oct and little English football during Aug/Sep, this is the perfect opportunity for Scottish premiership players to showcase their talent. There is no need for players or clubs to rush into anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

With the transfer window opened until Oct and little English football during Aug/Sep, this is the perfect opportunity for Scottish premiership players to showcase their talent. There is no need for players or clubs to rush into anything. 

I agree with this and if Turnbull shows some good form then Celtic could place an offer in October. The downside is a few of our players could attract interest if we get off to a flyer during August and September.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jack said:

I agree with this and if Turnbull shows some good form then Celtic could place an offer in October. The downside is a few of our players could attract interest if we get off to a flyer during August and September.

Agreed, it may be perceived as an upside by the board though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see Turnbull play at least the first half of the season for us. As I've said many times before, the main point of our academy is produce a quality of player that we could never afford to buy.

Assuming he does regain his form - and there's no reason to think otherwise - he did right by us when he extended his contract to 2022, so we don't need to rush into any quick deals. I'm sure Celtic will be looking for a discount, but I'd be pointing out to them that good players' value increases when they get older. So I think it's important for us and DT to get a run of first team games under his belt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I’ve read and heard, the best time for a club to sell a player is when they have 18 months to 2 years left on their contract. With only 1 year left it seems that clubs cannot command as good fees, so I’m expecting DT to be sold by the new year at the latest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that it was Motherwell that took care of the boys rehab, I would hope that Celtic have absolutely no guarantees in place to get first bite at the cherry. 

Like others I would love us to get at least to the New Year out of DT just to enjoy him a little longer. If he is to go, it would be better for all concerned if he went south. With both Newcastle and Leeds now interested Im sure the chances of Celtic getting him on the cheap are diminishing rapidly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×