2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

11 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I like Devante Cole, he can play across the front 3. I also like how Robinson says Devante, so I am encouraged by this news.

It's a difficult situation with our attacking options, White has been poor and doesn't look like a fit at this level, and Watt and Long have shown glimpses, but we know that they're both inconsistent. We don't have the right front man to play along with wingers effectively, and our wingers aren't particularly good either, so it's hard to disagree with bringing in another striker. 

Only scored 4 goals last time he was here not for me thank you very much 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

McGinley?

I know fans love to judge players far too early in their 'Well career, but McGinley has had 2 games thanks to injuries.

Maybe need to give him a few more starts for consistency before we start getting the knives out. A string of games has done wonders for Mugabi.

McGinley does need a string of games - preferably in the position we signed him to play, He's either a centre back or left back.  Not seen many signs that he's any use but that could change with a run in the same position.  

As for Mugabi - whilst improved , personal view is he's a liability .  I don't think he's good enough.  

18 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Not a huge fan of Cole in truth. I’m not convinced he’s the answer.

I'm not a fan either,i don't think he will bring anything different to what we already have,surely if we're interested in bringing him back we must be looking at getting one or two out the door,our forward line is already bloated with to many not making any sort of contribution.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I would much rather have Cole than Seedorf and Hylton, he can get us up the park quickly in a way that nobody else really can, he's very quick.

So would I but I would take a quality wide player before him in all honesty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I would much rather have Cole than Seedorf and Hylton, he can get us up the park quickly in a way that nobody else really can, he's very quick.

I was thinking at least it gives a badly needed injection of pace, but then Long is rapid and we do absolutely nothing to exploit that. 

6 minutes ago, CoF said:

I was thinking at least it gives a badly needed injection of pace, but then Long is rapid and we do absolutely nothing to exploit that. 

With him being number 99, he had a flakey when he was on the bench on Sunday!! Sorry.   

Not convinced about Cole either,   need a pacy winger but where we find one I dont know....let's ask Martin Foyle.......then again....mibbees naw

48 minutes ago, CoF said:

For me i think Longs attitude is suspect , he never seems fully committed to games this season, no doubt he is a decent player but I don't think we are getting the full benefit just now.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/allan-campbell-targeted-aberdeen-derek-22764212

Allan Campbell targeted by Aberdeen as Derek McInnes plots to gazump Hibs with pre-contract pitch
The midfielder will have plenty of options but the Dons boss intends to be in the mix.

Derek McInnes wants to make a pre-contract pitch for Allan Campbell in January as Aberdeen attempt to beat Hibs to the punch over yet another signing.

Record Sport revealed yesterday the Easter Road side are keen and monitoring Motherwell star Campbell’s situation closely but the Dons will rival any move.

McInnes has put the Scotland under-21 cap amongst the top of his out of contract targets.

He wants Aberdeen to be in a position to table a pre-contract offer in January to sign him.

The Pittodrie side know they will face stiff competition from both sides of the border but want to be in the fight.

Aberdeen have already beaten Hibs in recent seasons to the signings of Funso Ojo and Ross McCrorie.

The Dons know they would have to pay around £200,000 in training compensation but would be prepared to do that for another top young Scottish player.

They also know it is unlikely Motherwell will sell in this window unless they receive a substantial offer.

McInnes praised Campbell for his recent performance at Pittodrie as Motherwell beat Aberdeen 3-0.

He said: “Campbell came up and played to win points, we played to play a game of football. Campbell encapsulated Motherwell’s performance. We needed more Allan Campbells in our team today.”

The midfield dynamo has been a standout for Motherwell in recent seasons and the Steelmen have also offered him a new deal beyond the summer.

Several English and Scottish clubs have already expressed an interest in the youngster.

Aberdeen have already shown with the signing of Lewis Ferguson from Hamilton and McCrorie from Rangers that they will spend money to get Scottish players with potential.

That was why chairman Dave Cormack allowed McInnes to sign McCrorie on-loan from Rangers for the season and will make the deal permanent for £350,000 in the summer.

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/allan-campbell-targeted-aberdeen-derek-22764212

Allan Campbell targeted by Aberdeen as Derek McInnes plots to gazump Hibs with pre-contract pitch
The midfielder will have plenty of options but the Dons boss intends to be in the mix.

Derek McInnes wants to make a pre-contract pitch for Allan Campbell in January as Aberdeen attempt to beat Hibs to the punch over yet another signing.

Record Sport revealed yesterday the Easter Road side are keen and monitoring Motherwell star Campbell’s situation closely but the Dons will rival any move.

McInnes has put the Scotland under-21 cap amongst the top of his out of contract targets.

He wants Aberdeen to be in a position to table a pre-contract offer in January to sign him.

The Pittodrie side know they will face stiff competition from both sides of the border but want to be in the fight.

Aberdeen have already beaten Hibs in recent seasons to the signings of Funso Ojo and Ross McCrorie.

The Dons know they would have to pay around £200,000 in training compensation but would be prepared to do that for another top young Scottish player.

They also know it is unlikely Motherwell will sell in this window unless they receive a substantial offer.

McInnes praised Campbell for his recent performance at Pittodrie as Motherwell beat Aberdeen 3-0.

He said: “Campbell came up and played to win points, we played to play a game of football. Campbell encapsulated Motherwell’s performance. We needed more Allan Campbells in our team today.”

The midfield dynamo has been a standout for Motherwell in recent seasons and the Steelmen have also offered him a new deal beyond the summer.

Several English and Scottish clubs have already expressed an interest in the youngster.

Aberdeen have already shown with the signing of Lewis Ferguson from Hamilton and McCrorie from Rangers that they will spend money to get Scottish players with potential.

That was why chairman Dave Cormack allowed McInnes to sign McCrorie on-loan from Rangers for the season and will make the deal permanent for £350,000 in the summer.

I remember many moons ago we ripped the heart and midfield out of the team by selling our two best players in Gary McAllister and Ally Mauchline in the first week of the new season and I fear we may do the same by selling Turnbull and Campbell. That season was not a good season. Hopefully I am wrong.

Not sure about Cole at all. I found him to be a hard player to pigeon hole. He was tall and pacy but wasn’t really a winger or target man or poacher. Maybe one of Robbo’s “Can play anywhere across the front three” players. One of those Stewart Rafferty types who works damned hard, puts himself about but doesn’t actually do anything.

Before the transfer window closes, I think we need the following:

Central defender to allow Lamie to take his place on the bench.

Attacking midfielder as cover for Polworth.

Nice to have, but unlikely:

Allow Hastie to return to Rangers.

Goal poacher similar to Shankland/Griffiths.

I don't think we need a poacher, that type of player needs service. I can't think of a time this season where chances went begging. 

I've seen no indication of Lamie being out of favour, and with bevis, Gallagher, mcginley, Maguire and dunne all around, I'd be surprised if we spent there. 

I'd agree on cover for polworth, may be money better spent over getting another forward, hopefully he doesn't spit the dummy at having to work for his place though. 

5 hours ago, alanos said:

Before the transfer window closes, I think we need the following:

Central defender to allow Lamie to take his place on the bench.

Attacking midfielder as cover for Polworth.

Nice to have, but unlikely:

Allow Hastie to return to Rangers.

Goal poacher similar to Shankland/Griffiths.

personal view is 3 changes would make huge difference.  1 good mifielder, 1 left back and a 1 centre half. 

We need balance in our midfield  - thats' either a winger who isn't a donkey or a  decent holding midfield player to replace Donnelly.  Personal view is we should play 4  in midfield , 2 who can stay back whilst 2 move forward.

In defence we need a left back who can go up the flanks - Carrol will do fine if fit.  I also think we need a centre back, Mugabi (although much improved) gives me the fear and Lamie has been a liability.  

Why the hell Levante Cole would solve our problems puzzles me - he wasn't winger and we already have 4 strikers. He's not any better than Long/Lang/Watt

Just now, texanwellfan said:

I’d like to think we could match them on wages to keep Campbell with understanding that we would let him go for reasonable fee to someone outside of SPFL. 

You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that we can match Hibs or Aberdeens wages...

...our best hope is that Campbell has known options down South

• Like 1