2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

I find the suggestions of interest in Seedorf from English Championship sides quite a head scratcher.

I think of wide players such whom we're profited from like  Marvin Johnson who had trickery, delivery and finishing ability to go with his pace. He demonstrated his ability at our level over a fairly decent period.   Or a bit before in Chris Humphrey who might be a better example of someone who came to us raw, with pace but with little in the way of footballing intelligence. By the time he left he was a much more complete player.

But I look at Sherwin and but for the opening month or two, where he scored two or three crackers and looked like had he a fair bit of potential, I can't see any evidence of progression from him that might warrant interest from that level.

He would certainly be one I wouldn't be upset about sacrificing in January if the opportunity arose to use the proceeds elsewhere.

He obviously had some potential as he came up through the Feyenoord system for 7 years and then the Nike Academy before signing for Wolves. While fans love to think they know all about players, I'm pretty sure the coaches and clubs involved in his early development know more than me.

It may well be that he doesn't fulfill that potential, but I doubt he's completely useless.

Robinson likes speedy players because you can coach fast player to pass a ball, but you can't coach speed into ball players. It may not have worked out in this case, but I hope we stick to this approach as I enjoy seeing a speedy winger too.

We paid a fee for Seedorf ourselves I think. Very strange. 

Wouldn’t surprise me to see White move on in January similar to the way Fisher and Johnson were quickly shifted out. 

When a player isn’t featuring Robinson quickly moves then on. Hylton another example. No idea if we have to pay up some of their deal each time it happens. 

On 12/16/2020 at 7:51 AM, Shaka said:

Pre-Contract, but are hopeful of an early transfer. If they agree to take him, Im sure there will be a queue outside Fir Park of cars happy to take him south. One of the worst footballers Ive ever seen, fast as fuck but literally zero football skill

I think he has a some skill, but zero football intelligence, so pretty much the same result.

Im sure he is a really nice guy, but if he can get a gig at Stoke or Reading he/we should bite their hands off!

Certainly a strange move if true but a great one for him although he’s got next to no chance of actually playing. I would agree that his problem is probably football intelligence which sounds cruel but watching him he generally seems to have no awareness of what going on around him.

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

Certainly a strange move if true but a great one for him although he’s got next to no chance of actually playing. I would agree that his problem is probably football intelligence which sounds cruel but watching him he generally seems to have no awareness of what going on around him.

That's how I would describe him,absolute zero game awareness,hopefully he moves on january and frees up a wage to bring someone else in.

I think we make ourselves easy to work with, basically wave any fee and let other clubs take them on so they come off our wage bill.

I don't see that happening with White, as though I don't think he's going to do a job for us Robinson clearly thinks he can offer more.

If we can get Seedorf of the wage bill and bring in someone who can contribute then brilliant.

Id say the same for Long on this seasons showings as well despite thinking there's something about him and expecting him to kick on this year.

Rolando Aarons is playing academy football so if there was something to be done to get him back in on loan on January id be happy with that, especially  if Seedorf is away.

If Carrol isn't close to playing again then we should bring in a left back as lamie and mcginley aren't doing it as cover.

I expect a but of movement in January but we shall see.

Think a lot of clubs will have budgeted based on fans being back in by now so could be cost cutting across the board.

So, with long looking to be out for a few weeks, are we in danger of singing someone else who can play across the front 3 in January?  Which ex player should we all clamor for? Who are we magically going to get rid of? Are any of our loan players set to do a Hastie?

I doubt we will do much business this coming window. With the potential for Carson, Carroll, Donnelly, and maybe Dunne  returning, we may be looking to them to solve our problems. We also brought in a lot in the last window, including 2 goalies we didn’t plan for, and will be working on some contract extensions, so the best I think we will see is a loan. 

9 hours ago, fizoxy said:

So, with long looking to be out for a few weeks, are we in danger of singing someone else who can play across the front 3 in January?  Which ex player should we all clamor for? Who are we magically going to get rid of? Are any of our loan players set to do a Hastie?

I doubt we will do much business this coming window. With the potential for Carson, Carroll, Donnelly, and maybe Dunne  returning, we may be looking to them to solve our problems. We also brought in a lot in the last window, including 2 goalies we didn’t plan for, and will be working on some contract extensions, so the best I think we will see is a loan. 

I think there now has to be question marks on Dunn playing again.  Carroll, Donnelly and Carson can’t get back quick enough. We have to sign another centre half, there has to be a solid individual willing to play alongside Gallagher somewhere. Lamie, White, and Mugabi are bench warmers and Hastie  will surely be away with hopefully Seedorf also making a move and that has to free up space for at least one wide player, if Long is also out we need another striker, Watt, Lang, and White are never going to score enough goals between them. In my view we need another three/four players minimum.

15 minutes ago, milo said:

We need a Tam Aldred and Gorrin type player for January whilst unloading as much of the dead wood (Lamie, Mugabi, White, Seedorf, Long) as possible.

My big worry is Robinson tries to go it with what we already have. 

Agree with your first point. If Robbo is still in post, I think we'll see a few changes.  He knows where we're lacking and will try to unload the deadwood. Not easy in the January window admittedly, but he has proved willing and able to do this in the past.  Whatever happens, we'll see changes next month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Get ready to be worried as January is not a great time to make changes or off load the dead wood. 

My impressions of Robinson in his first 18 months was that when he didn't get things right - whether it was a first 45, or in a transfer window - he knew it and made swift and effective changes. I always felt quite comfortable when things weren't going well, as he seemed to have a genuine knack of turning things around.

That faith has been gradually eroded the last 12 months. Unfortunately for Robbo, we've been in relegation form for a year so no matter the difficulties of a January window, this one is huge. 

3 hours ago, milo said:

We need a Tam Aldred and Gorrin type player for January whilst unloading as much of the dead wood (Lamie, Mugabi, White, Seedorf, Long) as possible.

My big worry is Robinson tries to go it with what we already have. 

He's on the record as recently as Friday saying he is planning to bring in new players, offload a few (and looking to extend O'Donnell's contract).

STEPHEN ROBINSON is hoping that Stephen O’Donnell’s Scotland ambitions will sway him towards committing his immediate future to the Fir Park club, reminding the defender he owes his recent caps to Motherwell.

O’Donnell’s short-term deal is due to expire in January, and Robinson wants to secure the right-back for the remainder of the season at the very least.

“The reason Stephen is playing for Scotland is because he signed for us,” Robinson said. “He didn’t have a club. He probably owes Motherwell a lot because we gave him that platform.

“It’s nice to have another international player on the books and people who need to play football to get into that European Championship squad.”

Robinson is also hoping to tie up longer term deals for O’Donnell’s Scotland teammate Declan Gallagher, Scotland under-21 skipper Alan Campbell and attacking midfielder Liam Polworth, all of whom are out of contract this summer.

“Unfortunately in this day and age they are in control of it,” he said.

“The boys we want to keep have been offered contracts. Jordan (Archer) is a different situation because his was short term and that’s something we will discuss.

“We haven’t got any more money to go any further with the contracts - people have the right to speak to clubs in January unfortunately but as long as people stay focused on Motherwell.

“Ultimately it’s down to the players and their decisions. I want people who are here 100 per cent focused.”

Robinson says he is ready to shake things up in January whatever happens after an up-and-down start to the campaign, hoping to bring at least two players into the club.

“It will probably be loan signings but it will depend on who leaves and who we can get out,” he said. “We certainly need to get people out before we can do any business.

“There are people we are speaking to. I’m hoping to get a couple of players in and give us a bit of a jag.

“When you see new faces in the building in January suddenly it lifts everyone’s game. If it means a bit of wheeling and dealing that’s what we’ll do.”

With ohara to centre back and donnelly and Carroll back this would make a big difference. A big problem is goals and if Aaron's was available hed be great. White.hastie.long. lamie.mcginley.bevis. unfortunately are not good enough and can go anytime.

McAllister not getting a game at stmirren I've always thought is a player. Plus obika . Mcmann accies lb. There are loads of players in spl who I feel would improve us more than some that are picked up from non league england.  Some of celtic or rangers youths who have stalled their careers at aged 20ish must be better than some of our recent buys. 

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

With ohara to centre back and donnelly and Carroll back this would make a big difference. A big problem is goals and if Aaron's was available hed be great. White.hastie.long. lamie.mcginley.bevis. unfortunately are not good enough and can go anytime.

McAllister not getting a game at stmirren I've always thought is a player. Plus obika . Mcmann accies lb. There are loads of players in spl who I feel would improve us more than some that are picked up from non league england.  Some of celtic or rangers youths who have stalled their careers at aged 20ish must be better than some of our recent buys. 

There are 10 year old kids at my local soccer sevens who are better than most of our recent buys!

I take no notice of anything Robinson says nowadays, its just a variation of the same shite week after week. So he is gonna make changes? Well the vast majority of signings the last 4 transfer windows suggest he isnt capable of doing so, so expect that age old concept of "fling as much shite as You can at the wall, and hope some sticks"

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

So he is gonna make changes? Well the vast majority of signings the last 4 transfer windows suggest he isnt capable of doing so, so expect that age old concept of "fling as much shite as You can at the wall, and hope some sticks"

An alternative analogy might be keep sending someone to the van with only enough money for a tub, don't be greetin too much when they rarely bring you back a double nougat.

• Haha 2

There's scope for quite a bit of movement next month. Not an easy window in which to wheel and deal though. Good discussions on FPC & Pie and Bovril, which is where I've gleaned most of this info.

Dunne, O'Donnell, Crawford, Hastie, and Archer are all on short term deals. Of those I'd really only want to retain Archer, and O'Donnell, but the latter may well move on. The jury is still out on Crawford but I've not been overly impressed so far. Possibly scope to move on Seedorf and Long? That then leaves Chapman, Cole, Lamie Mugabi, McGinley (would like to see him in central defence first) and White, who all  might be more difficult to shift.  

We definitely need a pacy winger or two, a central defender, an all round midfielder with plenty in his engine, and a main striker. That of course assumes O'Donnell, Gallagher and Campbell stay and Carson, Donnelly  and Carroll return.

10 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Thanks andy for stopping another new topic.

If you cant run the site maybe time to step aside.

Always liked your input on here but theres a reason p&b is now just a wee bit in front and I've now realised. 

Thanks

I am running the site.  That's why I've directed you to the thread with the title that says 2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread with the 78 pages worth of chat about exactly that.

Shame you've thrown your toys out the pram about that.

Thanks

• Like 2