2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

23 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Was thinking the same thing. The only bright side to this is that he played on for a spell and then walked off. Fingers crossed its not serious. He's been through enough. 

Agree he’s been through enough … and missed out on a decent wedge in wages when we knocked Celtic back.

His knee seemed to buckle under him when he landed which is not a good sign.

Fingers crossed for him … … but I fear the worst.

38 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Aberdeen fan I have the occasional conversation with on Twitter suggests they are keen on O'Donnell. And Campbell. And to continue their infatuation with all things with a claret and amber tinge, Cadden too. 

If they're that infatuated maybe we can convince them to take White and Lamie too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

Aberdeen fan I have the occasional conversation with on Twitter suggests they are keen on O'Donnell. And Campbell. And to continue their infatuation with all things with a claret and amber tinge, Cadden too. 

They might be , I've no idea, but I can't see them paying up now or in the summer for Campbell. They'd need to shell out £400-500K for him in any event.

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

They might be , I've no idea, but I can't see them paying up now or in the summer for Campbell. They'd need to shell out £400-500K for him in any event.

Dave, the guy reckoned that the arrival of Campbell would in his eyes mean the inevitable departure of Lewis Ferguson. So that suggests they would need to confirm their outgoings first. 

I personally think England rather than another Scottish side is the best route for Campbell's development but that might well stem from the fact he's another of our own I'd rather not see line up against us. 

McInnes has always been a big fan of Campbell, but given their claims of Covid-19 restrictions costing them £1 million per month, they'll need to be breaking transfer records for Ferguson.

As far as career development is concerned, I never quite see the point of players moving to rivals in the same league. Playing the same teams (except us instead of Aberdeen) doesn't make much sense to me.  And if it's a financial decision, I'm sure the money on offer down south is as good, and you get the change of scenery.

tbh any young Scottish player who opted to stay in Scotland over the chance to ply his trade down south is in serious need of psychiatric help. Said it when Turnbull went to Celtic and haven’t changed my mind.

Only worry I would have with Campbell in the Championship is he would be up against some absolute giants and Im not sure he has the physique to compete at that level. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Dont want to lose him though as we’re going to need every decent player we’ve got in the next few weeks.

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

I'm sure aberdeen are letting that foreign boy they have at right back go so them being interested in o'donnell would make sense.hopefully campbell has higher ambitions than moving to aberdeen,for still being young it feels like he has been about for ages and has kind of outgrown the scottish game and needs a fresh challenge to kick him into another level.i wouldn't be surprised if cadden ends up at either aberdeen or hibs in this month.

• Like 1

To tell you the truth am not that bothered about losing O'Donnell. I think we need a clear out and if he isn't showing any interest in the contract then good luck elsewhere. The new manager whoever it is will no doubt have their own ideas of the players they will need and who will be staying or going.

I foresee big changes in the player front, within our budget obviously.

If Las has four games as what is publicised does he get to recruit, as we ain’t winning games with current squad, whole team needs to take a serious look at themselves as they are letting the fans who paid  serious money for season tickets to fund part of their salary down. We don’t expect third every year but we would like a team with heart and that will try and compete .

On 12/30/2020 at 12:02 PM, Al B said:

One of my best mates is good pals with Jason Cummings and a load of the Hibs/ex-Hibs boys. I'll ask if he's heard anything.

Just to come back on this, if there's anything in the Jason Cummings thing his brother hasn't heard anything about it. Given it would involve him moving home you'd imagine it would have been mentioned.

10 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

If Las has four games as what is publicised does he get to recruit, as we ain’t winning games with current squad, whole team needs to take a serious look at themselves as they are letting the fans who paid  serious money for season tickets to fund part of their salary down. We don’t expect third every year but we would like a team with heart and that will try and compete .

As above though you never know, there is plenty of quality in the squad, confidence however is low. A change of manager often gives that bounce effect.

14 hours ago, santheman said:

tbh any young Scottish player who opted to stay in Scotland over the chance to ply his trade down south is in serious need of psychiatric help. Said it when Turnbull went to Celtic and haven’t changed my mind.

Only worry I would have with Campbell in the Championship is he would be up against some absolute giants and Im not sure he has the physique to compete at that level. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Dont want to lose him though as we’re going to need every decent player we’ve got in the next few weeks.

Nine times out of ten, id agree with you. I do think Turnbull is an exception to that, i can see why he has went there, other than Norwich, there was no great interest in him from down south that we were aware of.  Moving to celtic, winning trophies and playing in europe (not that they do it that often) is much more appealing than going between the championship and fighting relegation in the prem. You'd think his next move could be a much more established prem side. 

Quote from the Official Falkirk site. "Miller faces the prospect of needing to bring a new keeper in if Motherwell decide to recall PJ Morrison for a new manager to have a look at following Stephen Robinson’s shock resignation."

So it would seem that we have a recall clause in the loan deal.

A few thoughts after that today.

Chapman and Mugabi are simply not good enough and should not be see again in a Motherwell shirt, not their fault but they belong at a lower level. 

Depending on how long Carson & Fox are out, we need to bring in 1 or 2 goalies. 1 with some experience.

Presuming Gallagher & O’Donnell don’t  leave, a defence of those 2, Ohara and Carroll should be more than good enough to keep us up.

We need an attacking midfielder to play alongside Campbell and hopefully Donnelly. A defensive one as well if Donnelly not back this month. Although McGuire needs another look at in that position whilst Donnelly is out.

Need a goal scorer and a winger to play with Watt. Long and Cole maybe be good enough as replacements but not as starters and the less said the better about Seedorf and Hastie.

• Like 2

Lasley's interview hurts. He obviously cares about this club, and the players have screwed him by not even doing the bare minimum of showing they give a fuck. Hopefully we can get rid of the people he and Robinson have been alluding to.

I have to assume that Dunne is finished with us, but hopefully Donnelly is back soon, and for the love of god, Carson as well.

We were trying to extend Crawford before Robbo left, hopefully we just scrap that whole idea.

Surely today marks the end of the Hastie experiment?  Maybe he will work it out somewhere else, but whatever he had in is purple patch with us just isn't there.

Are either of Devine or Hussain close to ready?

2 hours ago, couttsy said:

A few thoughts after that today.

Chapman and Mugabi are simply not good enough and should not be see again in a Motherwell shirt, not their fault but they belong at a lower level. 

Depending on how long Carson & Fox are out, we need to bring in 1 or 2 goalies. 1 with some experience.

Presuming Gallagher & O’Donnell don’t  leave, a defence of those 2, Ohara and Carroll should be more than good enough to keep us up.

We need an attacking midfielder to play alongside Campbell and hopefully Donnelly. A defensive one as well if Donnelly not back this month. Although McGuire needs another look at in that position whilst Donnelly is out.

Need a goal scorer and a winger to play with Watt. Long and Cole maybe be good enough as replacements but not as starters and the less said the better about Seedorf and Hastie.

Fox is garbage and should never have been brought in the first place.

O'Hara has had some excellent performances in my midfield and defence and yet I still have doubts about him.  No consistency at all.  I think we need an experienced centre half to play along side Gallagher so I'd be looking for a defender.

Maguire needs a run in the team and we desperately need a wide left and maybe a creative midfielder as well.

Long for me is the personification of everything wrong with the current squad.  Doesn't really want to be here, lazy, moody, couldn't give a shite and happy to pick up a wage for bugger all.  If we need to make a human sacrifice make it him.  Just pay him off and show him the door and we've got rid of at least one malignancy.   

O'Hara has been one of our most solid players but would rather have him in midfield and bring in a decent centre half.

Create midfielders / wingers/ strikers - yes please.   A great time to bring in loan signings as the lack of reserve football means there's some cracking young prospects in the premiership who we could bring in.

10 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

When Turnbull was sold I said £1m should be invested in a quality defender, midfielder & a striker to try and get us into the group stages of the europa league and secure a top 6 place this season - pity it didn’t happen  ☹️

That doesn’t work in reality. Sign players of that value and they’ll burst the wage structure multiple times over. The key is to try and unearth a few gems (e.g £30k Moult) with plenty potential but it’s easier said than  done, 

22 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

That doesn’t work in reality. Sign players of that value and they’ll burst the wage structure multiple times over. The key is to try and unearth a few gems (e.g £30k Moult) with plenty potential but it’s easier said than  done, 

Agree with you to a certain extent but firstly you free up three wages from dross players which can be added to the wages of a couple of the senior players at the club to help smooth things, secondly bonuses to the squad increase so all benefit, thirdly playing with better quality players should improve the rest of the players possibly leading to them getting a good move and finally if we made the group stages the team get the chance to play against teams they can only dream of.  
I think that the idea could have been sold to the squad.