Scale Model Fir Park

CoF

Right, (so as most my pals and family have pointed out) this is a bit sad but I  needed to get a wee project on the go. Decided to build a scale model Fir Park out of cardboard.

Got basic measurements from the googlemaps 3d model, but still had to try measure loads up from photos and scale it all down to 1/500. It's been quite cool looking at all the wee details of the stands constructions - who knew the Cooper would be a such pain in the arse to measure and build. I'm also firing in a bit of the surrounding area as the reason the main stand is only 3/4 built is a great quirk in the history of Fir Park. The place has also gone through a lot of changes and facelifts so tried to settle for mid 90's as that's when I went to my first match - think I've overdone the grubbiness on what would be newly built stands though...

I'm also working on having the full thing light up including stand interiors and scratch-built floodlights,

Not for everyone, but given there's not much else happening thought a few might want to see the progress. 

P4270248.jpg

P4270251.jpg

P4270258.jpg

P4270242.jpg

P4270249.jpg

P4270250.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

It is sad, but almost tragic that I/we know how much pain you are going to have, replicating the Cooper, with all the angles on the footprint and every elevation

even the footprint of the Hunter at the northeast corner = pain

but looks like you are trying to capture some of the finer details, so it's already looking great - good luck , looks like it could be frustrating as fek!

On 4/27/2020 at 6:25 PM, underboyleheating said:

Wow, superb. I can’t wait to see the finished model.

21 hours ago, Frazzie said:

Likewise.

Your mates are right- it is sad. But I’m sad too and can’t wait to see it! Well done so far- looks great.

12 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Looks great. It's not sad at all

Cheers folks!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stv said:

R u going to build on the missing bit of the main stand ?

You mean the steel structure that sticks out? Aye, that's going to be there. Going to have bits of the steel frames in all the stands and use the same 1.5mm acrylic rods to build the floodlights.... hopefully. 

21 hours ago, Brazilian said:

It is sad, but almost tragic that I/we know how much pain you are going to have, replicating the Cooper, with all the angles on the footprint and every elevation

even the footprint of the Hunter at the northeast corner = pain

but looks like you are trying to capture some of the finer details, so it's already looking great - good luck , looks like it could be frustrating as fek!

Yeah, the cooper roof nearly ended me last night. 2 hours trying to get it right and scrapped the lot. Think I've got it right now though. Looking forward to getting all details of the shop, doors and all that to bring it to life. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Fantastic.  Like the weathering of the stands

A wee bit to go before the first game, who would we be playing? Or are we playing behind closed doors. Looking forward to the finished model. Well done :fan:

Haha, well I've got some tiny figures to dot around the place. I'm thinking the Dundee United colours would stand out nicely in the away end. 

10 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Astonishing work, especially the weathering. The yella paint splashes in the aisles of the POD will be challenging, though :D.

Haha, never even thought about that but I'll see what I can do. 

• Thanks 1

Looks great so far.  Probably the most interesting thing going on in Scottish football right now!

People who say things are 'sad' are a real bugbear of mine. It's usually because they have no skills or interests themselves and therefore contribute fuck all.  

I'm not very handy but I'm learning Punjabi and have a MS Paint masterpiece on the go. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Looks great so far.  Probably the most interesting thing going on in Scottish football right now!

People who say things are 'sad' are a real bugbear of mine. It's usually because they have no skills or interests themselves and therefore contribute fuck all.  

I'm not very handy but I'm learning Punjabi and have a MS Paint masterpiece on the go. 

From my experience it's usually  the same folk who spend their their free  time on social media narrating every single bit of trivial activity that goes on their lives that come up with the "sad" comments. 

I think these kind of projects help you learn some new skills.

I'm really liking what I see CoF. 

7 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

is there a former royal burgh of the Punjab with a Kirkcaldy like dialect in the Punjabi language that delivers an equivalant phrase to 'Ya Beezer' ?

PS apologies to anyone clicking in hoping for a photo update of the scale models ! blame those 3 above!

On 4/29/2020 at 4:21 PM, DunnyMFC said:

From my experience it's usually  the same folk who spend their their free  time on social media narrating every single bit of trivial activity that goes on their lives that come up with the "sad" comments. 

I think these kind of projects help you learn some new skills.

I'm really liking what I see CoF. 

I know exactly what you mean, thankfully it's all tongue in cheek. I'm just not one to sit on the couch watching TV and with all my usual stuff cancelled, I've got a lot of spare time just now. 

On 4/29/2020 at 5:13 PM, Katie said:

Really impressive! Looking forward to seeing it progress. 

Cheers Katie!

On 4/29/2020 at 7:41 PM, joe90 said:

That looks amazing 

Cheers Joe90!

• Like 1

A few dead exciting updates - 

Seating on the main stand is ready to be installed. Pain in the arse cutting all the rows of bucket seats - I think they're a bit too big but hopefully it looks alright and doesn't mess the scale up. 

Roof and windows added to the cooper and started adding a few wee details. 

Started the seating on the rest of the stands. I've no idea how I'm going to work in the MFC, The Well and Fir Park seating. I've tried a few things but it looks shit. 

The turf is ready to go... I think. 

Next steps - I need a break from the stands so going to start building the floodlights out of the 1.5mm acrylic rods that just arrived. I've not really thought this part through, but it should come together.

P5040372.jpg.bb97492d7e4c987dab10ee2871a34ab0.jpg

P5040356.jpg.00c2afc80989c8962a0d2bdbee4cebe0.jpg

P5010328.jpg.e0d21083d829582f4113239332383e0d.jpg

P5040391.jpg.4a3ee6e6af408080db0b95fbd4477a14.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CoF said:

I've not really thought this part through...

That's the pioneer spirit! :D

It'll be belting when it's done, looking forward to seeing the finished article. Just don't accidentally sit on it after having a few pints to celebrate completion.