70’s Steelmen

SteelmaninOZ

In all my time of going to Fir Park I consider the team of the mid seventies to be the best that I've seen and that includes the cup winning team of 91. Sadly they never won silverware. It had everything - skill, physicality, mental attitude, and pace and finishing ability.  A joy to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff:  nostalgic views of the  Art Deco "Front Door" and the old ground, complete with "my" usual crush barrier at the Taggart's End  (halfway up and just to the left of the goal).

That Pettigrew Turn was quite devastating, particulary for Roddy MacDonald, who must have needed counselling after  every game against him. We were a fast, skilful, physical team with that little bit of magic from the likes of Graham, Marinello and Davidson.

Before we changed to the diagonal band I don't recall seeing us win at Parkhead but then suddenly we went on quite a winning streak there while wearing it. At half-time in the Fir Park  3-2 Cup match I was sitting beside two Sellick fans in the main stand who were patronising the hell out of  me at 0-2 ("Aye, yer a good wee team, unlucky, but.."). Their faces were stony after Willie P had  done his stuff and Kenny D put the ball over the bar in the last minute.

Happy days.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

In all my time of going to Fir Park I consider the team of the mid seventies to be the best that I've seen and that includes the cup winning team of 91. Sadly they never won silverware. It had everything - skill, physicality, mental attitude, and pace and finishing ability.  A joy to watch.

Same here. You wonder sometimes if nostalgia has overtaken reality when you evaluate the 70's team, but when you look at some of the existing footage you can see they really were that good - even on the ploughed fields.

Little did I know in my young, formative years that not every 'Well team would be as good as that.

Almost brings a tear to the eye watching that. Started going to every home game during the 74/5 season (last of the old first div) at the age of 11 ish. First season ticket in 75/6 so that was 'the team' that I first followed. Marinello, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson and Taylor was a forward line that always had goals in it and we had a midfield/defence that absolutely no one could mess with. When you came up against guys like McVie, McLaren, Stevens, Willie Watson and Peter Miller you knew you were in a scrap. Wark was in a league of his own. 

That semi against Rangers at the end of the clip still makes my blood boil 45 years on.........Mr JRP Gordon will never be forgotten !!! Corrupt h*n c**t !!! 

"That semi against Rangers at the end of the clip still makes my blood boil 45 years on.........Mr JRP Gordon will never be forgotten !!! Corrupt h*n c**t !!! "

Yes, AllyMax, it's a pity he and his linesmen only got caught out over bribes from AC Milan a bit later. I was having a Jumping Jack Flash in  the bog in a certain pub in Larky later in the 70s and found Stewart Mclaren in the next space. He mentioned dark deals at half time in the semi  which I was shocked by (but secretly agreed with) and it was in 1978 that the SFA suspended him and the two others.

A good pal always referred to JPR as Mr Bastard of Gordon on Tay: harsh but true.

I remember Willie P being hacked down at the Rangers end by Greig with the score at 2-0 and then the roof fell in.

Crying in the hail after 90 mins. King Lear, ya bass.

I'm not bitter, btw :D

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this. Great memories of some fantastic players for us.

Also always worth being reminded of what a dreadful shower Rangers were in the 1970s. Twice we were absolutely robbed by these cheating scum. I could never support a team with such crack whore ethics. Remember this, as they try and take the "moral high ground" in any debate or discussion regarding the future of Scottish football.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 6:18 PM, AllyMax said:

Almost brings a tear to the eye watching that. Started going to every home game during the 74/5 season (last of the old first div) at the age of 11 ish. First season ticket in 75/6 so that was 'the team' that I first followed. Marinello, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson and Taylor was a forward line that always had goals in it and we had a midfield/defence that absolutely no one could mess with. When you came up against guys like McVie, McLaren, Stevens, Willie Watson and Peter Miller you knew you were in a scrap. Wark was in a league of his own. 

That semi against Rangers at the end of the clip still makes my blood boil 45 years on.........Mr JRP Gordon will never be forgotten !!! Corrupt h*n c**t !!! 

In of all places East Berlin in 1977 when Scotland played DDR I met Archie Mc Person and Jim Reynolds of the Herald. Explaining that I was a ' Well fan both without any prompting said to me that Motherwell would never had won the semi against Rangers regardless of being 2-0 up!!!!This was confirmed  some years later by the late Bob Crampsey. 

Interesting also that Bobby Watson a year after he signed for us stated his surprise that decisions which previously went Rangers way when he played for them  now no longer applied when he played for us. 

Make of this what you will.