New home kit 2020-21

Ross

3 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

I no im not the britest but wot's stoping us having a hoop?

You would need to test the contrast on a Spectrophotometer to be 100% certain the numbers/colours met with UEFA rules. Personally I don’t see an issue with using white numbers, however, Motherwell are playing safe just in case they reach the group stages where the rules would kick in proper. 

This is my non scientific visual test using the computer generated graphics on the Well Shop page. I’ve added a full hoop and used SPFL numbers.  

Any UEFA officials in the house?

number experiment.jpg

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

You would need to test the contrast on a Spectrophotometer to be 100% certain the numbers/colours met with UEFA rules. Personally I don’t see an issue with using white numbers, however, Motherwell are playing safe just in case they reach the group stages where the rules would kit in proper. 

This is my non scientific visual test using the computer generated graphics on the Well Shop page. I’ve added a full hoop and used SPFL numbers.  

number experiment.jpg

Ya das ist gut !!!!!

Wunderbar !!!!

UEFA

Just now, underboyleheating said:

So any truth in the rumours that Paddy Power are on board for another  ‘un-sponsored’ shirt season?

Let's hope so. It would be a crime against humanity to throw a sponsor on either of our shirts next season.

You would need to test the contrast on a Spectrophotometer to be 100% certain the numbers/colours met with UEFA rules. Personally I don’t see an issue with using white numbers, however, Motherwell are playing safe just in case they reach the group stages where the rules would kick in proper. 

number experiment.jpg

Hmmm... *Muses on that beauty*

What's the UEFAian for "Your spectrophotometer is pure pish"?

31 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Hmmm... *Muses on that beauty*

What's the UEFAian for "Your spectrophotometer is pure pish"?

It’s basically a gamble If you go down the full hoop route as you sadly need to decide your kit so far in advance. Obviously if you don’t qualify for Europe you can within reason do what you want with your shirt, however, sadly crystal balls don’t work that well with kit designs. We are a victim of our own success and have pretty much consigned our hoop to history due to UEFA. However, I’ll be watching Euro/Uefa cup games with interest to see who gets away with these rules.

5 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

However, I’ll be watching Euro/Uefa cup games with interest to see who gets away with these rules.

If they meet the requirements with a hoop, they won't "get away" with anything. They will be abiding by the rules.

Like you say, though, it's hardly worth the expense for a team like ourselves to design a UEFA friendly kit on the off-chance we qualify - and find a willing manufacturer.

I imagine of there are other hooped shirts in the Euro competitions, they will be worn by teams with budgets we can only dream about.

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If they meet the requirements with a hoop, they won't "get away" with anything. They will be abiding by the rules.

I’ve seen a few dodgy ones in recent years that in my opinion have ‘flaunted’ the UEFA rules. So I suspect the word ‘abiding’ is used with a large pinch of salt depending on the team. 

It would take a better man than me to review all the details of that number, but with the multiple clauses allowing shadow outlines, key lines, visible from 50m etc. etc. I have no idea if that violates anything.

I do know they have enough money and a big enough support that Kappa will manufacture a custom kit for them. Depsite all our chat about regulations etc., however, it might just be that Macron won't make a 'Well kit in that style.

Just now, weeyin said:

It would take a better man than me to review all the details of that number, but with the multiple clauses allowing shadow outlines, key lines, visible from 50m etc. etc. I have no idea if that violates anything.

And that’s the point, the rule is very ambiguous. To me that 2015 Sampdoria shirt is far worse than white numbers on the back of a single claret hoop shirt, if UEFA can’t see that they must be blind. 

And that’s the point, the rule is very ambiguous. To me that 2015 Sampdoria shirt is far worse than white numbers on the back of a single claret hoop shirt, if UEFA can’t see that they must be blind. 

True - but the rules I quoted were 2018. I have no idea what they were in 2015.

I understand the difficulties, though. If they don't have a way of measuring it, there would be complaints. If they do have a way of measuring it, it will be potentially ambiguous unless they make it subject to ridiculously high levels of scrutiny and compliance.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

True - but the rules I quoted were 2018. I have no idea what they were in 2015.

As far as I’m aware they are no different to what they are now. The number issue has been around for a while. I think I’ve been discussing it on the various forums as far back as I can remember. 

4 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Sampdoria last season. I’m still no ‘clearer’ on the rules.

ttf Sampdoria fc 2019 2020 font.jpg

I think the rules are clear. It's just impossible for us to test a matchday shirt with the appropriate equipment, so all we can do is guess.

Like I said earlier, though, the explanation for us could be as simple as Macron don't do hoops for clubs like us.

Clubs often wear one off tops for special occasions( Throwback day in Baseball as an example) in a number of sports. How difficult/costly  would it be to ask our manufacturer to produce around 50 “half hoop” jerseys for use in Europa games, but produce the full hoop version for domestic games and for sale to fans. Or do Uefa tell us what we can wear in domestic games as well?
That version with the white numbers is perfectly clear. Even our referees could read that....maybe.
The whole thing is bureaucracy gone mad. 

• Like 2

I'm not  a manufacturer so if it is technically impossible then so be it. But is it really a massive task to leave out one band on the back for one production run? It's not as if it would involve a complete redesign of the shirt. Pretty sure if there was willing there would be a way. And as the client, Motherwell should be able to call the shots. Cost permitting.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Like I said earlier, though, the explanation for us could be as simple as Macron don't do hoops for clubs like us.

Flow provided an explanation on Twitter and it’s nothing to do with Macron, as they will provide anything we request. It’s just as simple to put a claret band on the back as it is the front. We just need to accept with our current interpretation of the rules the hoop has sadly gone for the foreseeable future.

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 19.54.23.png

3 hours ago, dennyc said:

How difficult/costly  would it be to ask our manufacturer to produce around 50 “half hoop” jerseys for use in Europa games, but produce the full hoop version for domestic games and for sale to fans. Or do Uefa tell us what we can wear in domestic games as well?

The SPFL have different kit rules and as it stands they would have no issue with us having a full front/back hoop. Big clubs like Celtic produce special European shirts and probably auction them off after use. 

Edit: Also worth noting that I don’t think the strict kit rules fully kick in until teams reach the group stages, as UEFA are mindful of the costs involved. Sadly, as yet we have not reached those lofty heights.